Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

is it possible to do landscape with 50mm FL on APS-c
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone did suggest i tried to change this post title. Perhaps i did suceed.

Well a bit more wide angle gives more freedom, thats what i did foubd out and yes im glad for the examples provided now its time
to read your advuces and trying to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And always remember that, within reasonable limits, you can always crop an image in post-processing, but you can't make it bigger (in terms of field of view, unless you are happy to do stitching in PP).

Everyone's preference may be different, but I would advise not to get too worried about having "gaps" in the range of FL's in the camera bag.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
And always remember that, within reasonable limits, you can always crop an image in post-processing, but you can't make it bigger (in terms of field of view, unless you are happy to do stitching in PP).

Everyone's preference may be different, but I would advise not to get too worried about having "gaps" in the range of FL's in the camera bag.

Sound advice Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The rule of thirds, the golden mean and the Fibonnacci spiral are all aspects of the same mathematical principle...

Euclid defined the basic maths behind the rules of thirds/golden mean...

Obviously, these statements are the result of tremendous mental confusion. The Rule of Thirds has nothing to do with the Golden Ratio.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PMSL are you still not tired of making a fool of yourself...

at this point, it could not be more obvious that you don't understand the first thing about composition and are just trolling in a most pathetic and childish manner.

You've utterly and totally disgraced and humiliated yourself, congratulations.

and once again, you're completely wrong:

https://nicholastinelli.com/the-golden-ratio-origin-of-the-rule-of-thirds/

Quote:
What is the origin of the rule of thirds?

It is nothing more than the simplification of another composition technique: the “Golden Ratio“, also called “Golden Section”, represented by the number 1.6180339887 (Phi).

The Golden Ratio (or Phi grid) is obtained by dividing the frame with a ratio of 1.61803:1 between the lateral and central columns, drawing 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines, which will form 9 rectangles, as in the rule of thirds. To give harmony to the image we must try to position our subject/object in one of the 4 strong points, defined by the intersection of the lines.

at this point, any human being with an ounce of decency would just slink off and leave the nice, normal people to their discussion

clearly you're not a decent human being as you persist and persist and persist....

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compose to lead the eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 Myths About the Rule of Thirds

I found that the interesting discussion of Tavis Leaf Glover also exists in article form:
https://petapixel.com/2016/01/30/10-myths-about-the-rule-of-thirds/#:~:text=MYTH%20%237%3A%20%E2%80%9CArtists%20from,t%20a%20master%20at%20all.

Myth #7 burst:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Obviously which lens is good for a landscape depends on the landscape being photographed. In some instances a telephoto WILL be perfect. .

I agree 100% on this, I have shot landscapes with a 500mm lens specifically to capture compression of the receding hills. The same view with a standard or wide angle lens would have been a very different landscape. On many occasions a vast empty sky makes distant wide shots boring - quite different if you have trees/mountains around to fill the height or a decent sky...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald, just stop, you have gone so far beyond the point of being ludicrously, eggregiously wrong now that it's ceased to be amusing.

Every single art college and university in the Western world teaches the rule of thirds as one of the 3 basic rules of composition.

I was taught it 30 years ago when I studied for my degree in Fine Art

I was taught it again a few years later when I studied for my degree in Electronic Imaging

Just what are your relevant qualifications?

Obviously, none, because you have made it clear you don't know anything about composition.

So just STFU and stop derailing the thread in order to feed your ego.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Every single art college and university in the Western world teaches the rule of thirds as one of the 3 basic rules of composition.

I was taught it 30 years ago when I studied for my degree in Fine Art

I was taught it again a few years later when I studied for my degree in Electronic Imaging

Whoo Turtle I'm really impressed.

I already quoted the video and the article by Tavis Leaf Glover, where he explodes the myths surrounding this so-called "rule of thirds". Many other artists, teachers of Fine Art and writers of books on photographic composition have similar views on the rule of thirds. This is the case of Bruce Barnbaum, who says this in his book The Art of Photography:

Rules, Formulas, and Other Problems and Pitfalls
Before ending this chapter, I'd like to examine several pitfalls that can ruin potentially fine photographs. The first—and worst—is looking for, or following, “rules” of composition. Rules are foolish, arbitrary, mindless things that raise you quickly to a level of acceptable mediocrity, then prevent you from progressing further. Several of the most well-known rules—the rule of thirds, the rule of avoiding a horizon in the center of an image, the rule of having an image read from left to right, the rule of not placing the center of interest in the center of the image, and so many others—are undesirable constraints with no validity. (Just look at Ansel Adams's “Moonrise over Hernandez” to see how many rules are broken.) Again, heed Edward Weston’s words that “Good composition is the strongest way of seeing.” If your composition happens to adhere to rules, fine! If it happens to break rules, fine! Forget the rules; just make always strong images.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Ignore Gerald, he's a very unplesanat know-it-all troll who almost certainly doesn't have a clue about how to take a good photogrpah, as evidenced by his constant lies about 'posting pictures all the time' when in reality, he posts pictures at a rate of about one a decade. Therefore we have zero proof he can even use a camera, so he is in no position to lecture others.

You can learn a lot on this forum, but you will do well not to listen to Gerald, he will teach you nothing of value while being incredibly arrogant, obnoxious and condescending.

I would encourage the moderators to do their job here.

This kind of language is not encouraging a respectful atmosphere in our forum, and it should not be tolerated. I'm not talking about differing opinions here - they are useful, and they should never be suppressed.

Rude language and rude behaviour, however, are not welcome here.

S

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I encourage you to mind your own business because what we have here is a case of one member - Gerald, acting disgracefully, derailing a thread and destroying any attempt at a sensible discussion.

So butt out and follow your own advice because you have frequently been rude and obnoxious too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> GUYS (Geras, Ian especially), BEHAVE! <<<

I'm really getting tired of having to act as a KINDERGARDEN teacher!!

Take that as a warning or I'll see what other measures could be used...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can shoot landscape with absolutely any lens, but with some lenses it is a bit cumbersome :p

Since legacy glass was all made for full frame, you would be better of with newer manual glass (there are quite a few cheap Chinese offerings). You would have to do some research of course as to their IQ.

Just for reference EOS EF-M list https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Mirrorless-Camera-Lenses/ci/17912/N/4196380428?sort=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&filters=fct_a_focus-type_5738%3Amanual-focus-only%2Cfct_lens-mount_3442%3Acanon-ef-m%2Cfct_lens-type_3446%3Awide%2Cfct_zooms-primes_5903%3Aprime-lenses

You might want to consider another mount that can be adapted to EF-m though. I think that Canon will ditch EF-m in favour of RF. So your lens might become useless in future.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:
Obviously which lens is good for a landscape depends on the landscape being photographed. In some instances a telephoto WILL be perfect. .

I agree 100% on this, I have shot landscapes with a 500mm lens specifically to capture compression of the receding hills. The same view with a standard or wide angle lens would have been a very different landscape. On many occasions a vast empty sky makes distant wide shots boring - quite different if you have trees/mountains around to fill the height or a decent sky...

+ 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nursery Pre-Schooler behaviors -- name calling, taunting, innuendo, snideness, rudeness. Judge not, motes and beams, and all that. Watch Rocky & Bullwinkle; learn from character Snidely Whiplash.

Just be kind. Avoid personal comments and attacks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One comment got my pique up here- about having "gaps" in the focal length set.

I really do not worry about this, and do seem to get along fine.
My personal "hole" seems to be glass of the 35mm length.
This is not just by happenstance.
Just realized how hard it is to find a 35mm I actually like, and can afford.
The other side of the coin is the 28mm sitting in the bottom of the bag that rarely gets used.
What if I get a 35 and do the same thing as the 28 ???

I just relax with this.
The problem is not really a problem at all- not with all the stuff I'm already lugging around.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent 35s are easy to find, lots of them, but excellent 28s , well, those are a very rare bird...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Nursery Pre-Schooler behaviors -- name calling, taunting, innuendo, snideness, rudeness. Judge not, motes and beams, and all that. Watch Rocky & Bullwinkle; learn from character Snidely Whiplash.

Just be kind. Avoid personal comments and attacks.

That Snidely Whiplash is really bad! Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not so hard to find a good 28mm lens. Just don't get a third party 28mm/2.8 since those were meant to be cheap for people who wanted to buy a second or third lens. 28's and 135's are ubiquitous for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluedxca93 wrote:
As someone did suggest i tried to change this post title. Perhaps i did suceed.

Well a bit more wide angle gives more freedom, thats what i did foubd out and yes im glad for the examples provided now its time
to read your advuces and trying to learn.

My direct answer to your title question "is it possible to do landscape with 50mm FL on APS-c?" is: Yes, it is perfectly possible to do landscape with a 50mm lens. In fact, as other people have pointed out, it is possible to do landscape with lenses of any focal length, from a fisheye to a super telephoto lens.

In general, from a certain landscape it is possible to take many different photos, all of which can be called a valid landscape photo. The article below is interesting because it shows, in a didactic way, a real example of the multiple possibilities of photos from the same landscape:

https://learn.zoner.com/what-focal-length-is-best-for-landscape-photography/

There's no doubt that a wide-angle lens is the first type of lens that comes to mind when thinking about landscape photography, but a mistake that many beginners make is thinking that the wider the angle of coverage, the better. A super wide-angle lens or an ultra wide-angle lens can include so many unconnected subjects into the frame to make the composition a mess. Artistically speaking, less is more. A composition with fewer subjects can have greater strength. What makes a great landscape shot isn't just a good choice of lens focal length; the quality of light is much more important.

I will give an example that shows in an extraordinary way all these points that I have mentioned. As is well known, Henri Cartier Bresson was an extraordinary photographer who used a 50mm lens for virtually every shot. This is one of his most famous landscape photos, Île de la Cité:

Cartier Bresson, like a true artist, took advantage of the fog to take a fantastic landscape photo of a island in river Seine in Paris.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cartier-Bresson, while a surrealist who espoused dynamic symmetry, is a textbook example of a visual artist who rarely deviated from the basis of composition - the Golden Ratio and it's simplest, purest expression - the Rule of Thirds.

In fact, Cartier-Bresson's work is widely regarded as being one of the most prominent exemplars of the use of the Rule of Thirds and Cartier-Bresson himself is regarded as being one of the masters of the use of The Rule of Thirds:

https://lydiashortphotography.wordpress.com/2016/10/04/rule-of-thirds/

http://thedelightsofseeing.blogspot.com/2010/11/rule-of-thirds-golden-rectangle.html

https://alumni.sae.edu/2014/12/11/learn-basic-composition-rules-with-henri-cartier-bresson/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule-of-Thirds is quite the common viewfinder grid, but some of these other golden ratio images like Fibonacci would make a useful addition to that mundane overlay grids we can nowadays choose from in digital cameras. Assignable to a function button, please Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZuikosHexanonsandVivitars wrote:
Rule-of-Thirds is quite the common viewfinder grid, but some of these other golden ratio images like Fibonacci would make a useful addition to that mundane overlay grids we can nowadays choose from in digital cameras. Assignable to a function button, please Wink

Or AI sufficient to identify and mark every use of compositional rules; algorithms may be similar to face detection methods.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it isn't really necessary. The rule if thirds and Fibonaci is simple enough to get it right without aids. An algorithm deciding your composition would severely limit your creativity. If necessary you can recompose in post.