Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Is it fungus? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Yesterday I received a super Tamron SP 70-210mm F/3.5 Model 19AH from eBay. The lens is really in a perfect state, or at least it seemed so at the first look.

But I fear the evil fungus spreaded inside... Youn can't see it unless you inspect the lense, as you can only see it from a particular angle, and I don't see anything on my test pictures Id did with this lens... but this still looks worrying:

(click on the picture to see it in real size)

What do you guys think? Sad

Thanks for your advice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh after playing a bit with the lighting, I managed to get a better shot... Should I throw my Tamron through the window? Sad

(full size = 1.9MB)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen this type of fungus, it looks to me this lens went to a dirty lake or river and left this after lens was dried out. To clean a zoom lens not easy this is cover too much from lenses. I think it will be softer than a genuine one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like dirt than like fungus.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Atilla is right.
Muddy waters that lens has been through Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or cement separation - check whether it is on a lens-to-air or on a cemented surface. I've encountered similar bubbly spots inside cemented lens pairs of a couple of nineties vintage Tamron lenses.

They (as well as other manufacturers) probably were a bit too daring with their choice of glass types used in cemented pairs at that time - if their thermal expansion is too different, the strain will wear out the cement.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Element surface bad cleaned. Lens opened to repair or clean, humidity or bad cleaned surface. With a good job, the element will be clean again.

Don't seem to me cement problems because the "draw" of the imperfection is different and the reflexion's glass is different too.

Fungus, not for me. The "spiders" don't present.

Good luck. Rino.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your answers. I guess I'll bring the lens to my local development shop, they sell a lot of old lenses and cameras so they must be able to do some servicing... We'll see what they say about this one.

If they can't do anything I'll contact the eBay seller, he only had positive feedback so far... and the ad stated "lens in very good condition".

I'll let you know how it goes. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Share with us who sell this one as "very good condition" please!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Element surface bad cleaned. Lens opened to repair or clean, humidity or bad cleaned surface. With a good job, the element will be clean again.

Yeah, the blots and shape certainly look like cleaner remains.

estudleon wrote:

Don't seem to me cement problems because the "draw" of the imperfection is different

YMMV - as I said, I've seen Tamron lenses de-cement themselves in a similar pattern. Which seems to happen in spots along traces of cleaner or cement primer - or whatever liquid they let dry on the lens surface.

Sevo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've contacted the seller who excused himself for not having noticed this and he accepts to give me a refund. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for your advices guys! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, happy ending!
I got a full refund for this lens, and I found another one for 10$ less. And this one is clean! ^^

Thanks for your help guys, can't wait to get out with my new toy!