Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it FAKE Pancolar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Is it FAKE Pancolar? Reply with quote

Written on the lens body: electric MC pancolar 1.8/50 aus JENA DDR 9708561
I tried to googling a bit, but still clueless.
It looks like a fake to me (the 'MC' is in color and and the letters look fake), but ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220519810096&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4579wt_1009

Anybody can help?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is a known variant of the Pancolar.

Actually the owner of this forum is also selling a Pancolar and it's even the same version (though not "electric" but that does not matter if you are not using it on the right Praktica): Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope that's a Pancolar from the era where Carl Zeiss Jena weren't allowed to use the words "Carl Zeiss" on their export lenses (the West German Carl Zeiss company were not happy). Some were branded as Aus Jena and others Jena. I'm sure others will chip in to fill the gaps.

In fact, it should be a good one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is quite rare version. I had one. This Pancolar has Zeiss optics, but mechanical part is made by Pentacon very likely.

http://forum.mflenses.com/strange-mc-pancolar-50-1-8-t15457.html

Definately not a fake. It wouldn't be profitable to make fake Pancolars - even the manufacturers ring would be more expensive today, than the entire lens Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the answers. Really help.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the not electric version. The MC in red is the first version of the black MC lens.

The number is <10.000.000. Very first pancolar in MC. Perhaps more yellowish than the other version. >10.000.000 the letters are smaller.

Export version. better QC.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the zebra version that writes Aus Jena only. Any info about that version? Is it one of the goods ones or not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thread gets a bit confusing Smile

1. early MC Pancolars had "MC" written in red

2. Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, which were made for export are labeled "aus Jena"... these lenses are typically good copies

3. lens linked in 1st post has red MC, it is labeled "aus Jena", BUT this lens isn't standard Carl Zeiss Jena product - it has Carl Zeiss Jena optical block, but mechanical part is made by Pentacon

I have no idea, why CZJ outsourced some production - maybe the demand was too high or there was a reason why CZJ couldn't produce lenses for some time (broken machines? fire? I don't know).

Anyway, these "Pentacon made Pancolars" can be recognized by a few signs:

1. lettering is visibly bolder than on traditional CZJ Pancolars
2. all of them have "MC" written in red
3. aperture ring isn't CZJ-styled, but Pentacon-styled (similar to black 50/1.8 Pentacon)
4. focusing ring has 6 rows of bumps - CZJ Pancolars has 5 of them or 3 of them (the slimmer version)
5. A/M switch is small (Pentacon-styled)

In short, there are these MC Pancolar models:

1. red MC, CZJ made - pictured here
2. red MC, Pentacon made (bold lettering, 6 rows on the focusing ring) = the one linked in 1st post = see my picture: on the right
3. white MC, CZJ made (5 rows on the focusing ring) - see my picture: on the left
4. white MC, CZJ made, slim version (3 rows on the focusing ring) - see ny picture: in the middle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tharos.

I saw two types of zebra pancolar 50 mm in M42 mount: F/1,8 and F/2.

Both are more prone to be yellowish than the posterius black. ('cos they are older?).

Somebody told us that the zebra had a better IQ. I don't have this model.

If anybody have both, perhaps a comparision can be a good idera.

Rino.