Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

infinity tune for contax lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: infinity tune for contax lens Reply with quote

After a test I found that one of my lenses pass infinity and one doesn't go to
I didn't knew about this problem and only comparison with other lens reveal low performance
It is important to check all you lens to not depend on electronic chip for infinity focus
I fix my 50 1.4 in 5 min, it is a pleasure with liveview

- unscrew the nose of the lens
- put on infinity
- unscrew the 3 screw and put @ 5m
- screw 1 screw
- focus to infinity
- unscrew and move barel at infinity mark
- screw all 3 screw

Original reference on FM

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not understood Sad I think I'd need a video for that.

How you are supposed to check the validity of infinity? Visually? What about people that don't have 20/20? What if one does not have live view?
I thought that a collimator should be used to fine tune infinity focus.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
What if one does not have live view?

You don't need liveview, it just make the process easier.
I could use my rtsIII or my Eos3 to calibrate with the prism, the result are consistent with my 40D
My 167 must have a slight misalignment because at infinity the prism is not exactly perfect
With my 50 1.4, at F11 I could not see the difference but at F8 and bellow I had a serious focus problem and I never remark it.
Of course I don't use often my 50 at infinity but it is better to have a lens calibrated
When I will shot landscape I will just put on infinity mark and no need to focus

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand: if you dismantle the lens mount, how can you mount the lens on a camera to check?
And what do you look at for checking?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos to show how to remove front
When the lens is mounted on the body, you have access to the 3 screws
Then you use the split to adjust infinity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not screw off the front of my planar 50mm 1.4 in order to infinity calibrate it....I tried everything...I can hold the front well enough with some silicone, but I can not hold the lens firm enough. I do not want to hold the focusing ring to not damage it. I hate how barrels and rings of those zeisses are made. Even when mounting on the camera you can not properly hold the lens.
Any ideas how to do it? Would disassembling the lens from the back help?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine also want come off for the life of me. It's an mmj.
How is it held in, screwed on, with some type of cement, or are there plastic tabs inside that hold it?
Are you screwing it counter clockwise to break the seal?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mine is AEJ (it has "ninja star" aperture shape at F2). I hoped for the easy way by uscrewing 3 screws on the focusing ring...but mine does not have them. I was trying to unscrew the front counterclockwise...no clue how it's made, it's the first time I try to service a Contax lens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bump this thread. Anybody has any ideas how to remove the front of a Contax Planar 50/1.4 that would not loosen by unscrewing?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked out perfectly for me with a Porst Super-Weitwinkel 28/2.8.
Thank you!