Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

infinity focus?move lens away or nearer
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: infinity focus?move lens away or nearer Reply with quote

i can't seem to achieve infinity focus on my lens. maybe it is because of nex canon adapter.

just wanted to know if you can't achieve infinity focus does it mean your lens is too near or far from the film plane?

or in order to achieve infinity focus do i move the lens away from the body (add a couple of fillers) or move the lens towards the body (shaving the adapter)
thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately infinity is achieved by getting closer to the sensor (film).

The other way allows you to focus closer, i.e. extension tubes can turn a regular lens into a close-focus macro lens.

Probably not what you wanted to hear Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most lenses can be tuned, search if it is possible with yours
http://forum.mflenses.com/infinity-tune-for-contax-lens-t7011.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

the extension tube principle. so it means my adapter is too thick?
thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issues on flanged adapters for my M42 lenses and my K07 DSLR. The unflanged ones allow infinity focus. So, the principle and issue is likely the same: the adapter changes the flange focal distance by pushing the rear element away from the sensor. This sacrifices the lens' ability to infinity focus as a tradeoff for using it on different cameras.

some lenses and adapters work well, for instance M42 to Pentax K because the flange focal distance in the same (Pentax specifically designed their bayonet mount for adapter creation to allow M42 lenses to be used to their full ability.) However, I could not use an M39 lens on my K-7 because the flange focal distance on an M39 lens is something like 18mm (vs. 45.46mm on the K mount and M42.) The result would be the lens focus being off by the difference in flange focal distance, and having a substantially limited focal range that increases in-kind with the adapter's thickness.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I could not use an M39 lens on my K-7 because the flange focal distance on an M39 lens is something like 18mm (vs. 45.46mm on the K mount and M42.)

Actually, M39 register (Flange focal distance) is the same as M42. I use several M39 lenses on my Pentax K20D and achieve infinity focus. The L39 / LTM (Leica threadmount) register is 28.8mm. Such can only be adapted to Pentax for non-macro use by performing radical surgery. And AFAIK the only mount with 18mm register is Sony NEX.