Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

If Edward Hopper painted Seaton Sluice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: If Edward Hopper painted Seaton Sluice Reply with quote

This is a digital shot taken with a Kodak Bridge camera, but the focus was manually set to Infinity in the hope that it automatically set to Hyper Focal distance. I cropped and sharpened this one. I deliberately tried to make it look like a Hopper painting.

A Hopper View of Seaton Sluice by skida, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, composition is good and it does have the look of a painting.

Perhaps some pretty clouds would have added something, but I'm being picky.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this too ! Nice foreground texture which complements the sky nicely I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I like it, composition is good and it does have the look of a painting.

Perhaps some pretty clouds would have added something, but I'm being picky.

Clouds are important to me also even if you take from other pictures just mandantory Wink

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice color and sharpness all the way - works well and I like it.

Since we are talking about cropping, perhaps you can try one cropping about 40%-50% of the sky for a different perspective. The sky as it is a bit too empty for my liking. I would think panorama style instead of the normal 3x2 ratio should work great here.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like the shot even though it breaks composition rules and no clouds.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree try it with less sky...it does not bother me that there are no clouds.Could you break it into three like a triptych?...not CC but I wonder what it would look like.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the worst quality I ever seen, my phone make better pics
I look the original size and it was even worst Mad

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I agree that the IQ from this camera is severely lacking. I bought it cheap on ebay as "refurbished". It gives unpredictable vignetting at any aperture (I suspect it may have something to do with the image stabiliser) and the tiny sensor means noise reduction is automatically used on most shots which kills sharpness.

Post processing isn't my strong point (though I have got better since this one was done) and the sharpening on the shot wasn't very subtle. Since getting back into photography, I have used a variety of ebay bargains while relearning the "craft", thinking that I needed to improve the quality of my taking shots before I could justify spending a fortune on a DSLR. This shot was taken at about the time I decided my shooting was being held back by the cheap cameras. I still can't afford a DSLR and so I am now shooting film with good quality cameras and lenses. This bridge camera has now been acquired by my better half.

Thanks for all the criticism and pointers, folks. The clouds "thing" has me undecided: yes, it would balance the shot, but I like the sense of isolation the empty sky gives.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I think you are a little bit harsh especialy considering the fact that this shot was done with a bridge cam Wink ....
About the picture, it's a nice compo and I think it should be a good idea to cut a little bit the sky with a pano format....

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: If Edward Hopper painted Seaton Sluice Reply with quote

skida wrote:
I deliberately tried to make it look like a Hopper painting.

This one?

(Credit: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/62.95)

He does have a few wispy clouds in the sky, and I agree with Attila, nothing wrong with pasting some in from another picture. I think you were a little too far away and with a lens too wide. If you are thinking about cropping, then I'd cut out the building on the left and let the proportions match Hopper's picture. The quality is fine for copying a painting Smile, I think poilu was being unfair.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's inspired by that and a number of other Hopper Cape Cod paintings.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of E. Hopper, so your title set the bar pretty high. I can say that my thoughts at my first glance were, "Wow, you nailed it!". But, with closer and longer consideration, I do believe that the foreground is more towards an Andrew Wyeth Wink And I very much like the balance, with the enormous blue sky. Would love to see a print in a frame. I would rather that this not be there. http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20125/3723_elininate_1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
The quality is fine for copying a painting Smile, I think poilu was being unfair

I didn't think about it, if someone use a p&s to record an idea that he will paint later, the quality is not so important
maybe I was unfair but C&C Gallery is intended for hard skin Smile

skida wrote:
I still can't afford a DSLR and so I am now shooting film with good quality cameras and lenses

that's great, thanks to digital, great film camera can be found for little money

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
I would rather that this not be there. http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20125/3723_elininate_1.jpg

I have read your comment a number of times and looked at the link, but I have only just realised that is a crop from my picture. Embarassed

I agree that a plastic conservatory is a bit "out of period" with the rest of the buildings, but it sort of copies the tower to the left of it, so I am in two minds on whether it is a good or bad detail.

poilu: I welcome all comments if fair, and yours was fair - the camera isn't brilliant and my PP was less than perfect.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very clever and good result!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the conservatory roof line;

Well, after giving it much more thought (I'm not a professional critic), I believe the roof line upsets the balance of the composition. The one large building frames the right half of the image, while the two smaller (and receding) buildings frame the left side. My eye keeps getting "stuck", momentarily, on it. And that is an unpleasant feeling, even if minor.
Those are my observations and sensations.
But I still like the photo! Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point, aspen, and thanks for taking the time to analyse the shot.