Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

i need cheap 85mm lens, please give me advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: i need cheap 85mm lens, please give me advice Reply with quote

Hello!

i need fast 85mm lens for portraits with good bokeh

i heard that jupiter 8 is good, but unfortunately i have not seen 1/1 sample crops or comparison to other lenses

i'm looking for used samyang 85/1.4 also
but i'm afraid that this lens has too digital character

helios 85mm f1.5 is too expensive... but probably the best choice Smile

do you know other lens worth to considering? up to $250 ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i heard that jupiter 8 is good, but unfortunately i have not seen 1/1 sample crops or comparison to other lenses

I assume you mean the Jupiter-9? The Jupiter 8 is a 2/50 rangefinder lens.

Another cheap option is getting a medium-format volna 2.8/80mm or biometar 2.8/80mm in P6 mount and finding an adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, Jupiter 9

i just found nice comparison
http://www.monuniverspentax.com/test_helios_jupiter/test_helios_jupiter.html

helios eats jupiter for breakfast Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should know that the Jupiter-9 is a soft lens. The Helios is not that amazing either - check the review on photozone.

I'd pick the Samyang, because it's the fastest of the options you enumerated, it's available close to your budget limit, and I liked the shots I saw from it. You can find the Rokinon on ebay for around $260. There are plenty of threads around with sample shots, so you can judge the character of the lens.

Just so you know, there's also a Mitakon 85/2 that showed up recently on ebay - it's cheaper than the Samyang, but it's f/2 and not as readily available as the Samyang. If you scroll down the forum a bit, you'll see the thread about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for answers!

i just saw few auctions with olympus om 85mm f2

is it good at f2 ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm Macro is a great lens and very sharp.

If you want a softer portrait lens the Jupiter 9. The alu M39 version is supposed to be sharper, which is the one I have. It is not as sharp as the Tamron, but a long way from being soft.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaxMartini wrote:
thanks for answers!

i just saw few auctions with olympus om 85mm f2

is it good at f2 ?

It is a pretty good one, even at f2 and it is amazingly small.
Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
You should know that the Jupiter-9 is a soft lens. The Helios is not that amazing either - check the review on photozone.

I'd pick the Samyang, because it's the fastest of the options you enumerated, it's available close to your budget limit, and I liked the shots I saw from it. You can find the Rokinon on ebay for around $260. There are plenty of threads around with sample shots, so you can judge the character of the lens.

I bought my Samyang 2 weeks ago and can completely second this advise. It has a lot better ergonomics as the Jupiter, is faster and sharper. I used a Jupiter a lot and don't have any problems with the ergonomics anymore. But for those not used to pre-set lenses it can be a major PITA. At the downside, the Samyang is rather big and heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Nikkor-H 85/1.8 is very good and often not expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On which body will you use the lens ? if it's a m4/3, Hexanon 85/1.8 could be interesting and the rokkor 85/1.7 too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Volna-3 ! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to the member KUUAN, I have the SMC Tak 2,8/105 and it's a very nice portrait lens.

The 1,8/85 hexanon for 4/3 is really a great lens too.

The jupiter 2/85 is a very good lens too. It's nice to use in portraits and, from F/4, very nice all around lens. Special character and near to be a bargain lens.

Gook luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And maybe the Nikon 85mm F2 AI , if you can live with "only"F2 but the Jup9 is a 2 , also

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Thanks to the member KUUAN, I have the SMC Tak 2,8/105 and it's a very nice portrait lens.

And as an extra benefit tiny and light.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get medium format mamiya 85/2.8 or 85/1.9 ... they are really good too and in future (if you want) you can mount them with tilt-shift adapter too..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash wrote:
You can also get medium format mamiya 85/2.8 or 85/1.9 ... they are really good too and in future (if you want) you can mount them with tilt-shift adapter too..

The 1,9 is very good, but pretty big!

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Asahi Super-Takumar 85mm/1.9?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old nikons are still expensive,
probably olympus 85mm f2 will be good choice

now i'm using old lenses with olympus 4/3 but i'm going to buy classic 5d only for manual lenses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic test but may have some value:

http://www.google.co.uk/m/url?ei=ZVThTJBOnpGMB_b85XE&q=http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t%3D30478%26view%3Dnext&ved=0CBIQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGuCfwA43ov9wwIItb1iZlh8qL85A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newer J9 are soft on design at wide open, to provide glow for portraits.
If you take an old aluminium J9, they are different, and a good copy is sharp also wide open. Sure there are bad copies around also. It's a lottery.
But what is sure is that a good copy of old type aluminium Jupiter-9 is sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The newer J9 are soft on design at wide open, to provide glow for portraits.
If you take an old aluminium J9, they are different, and a good copy is sharp also wide open. Sure there are bad copies around also. It's a lottery.
But what is sure is that a good copy of old type aluminium Jupiter-9 is sharp wide open.

When I compare the Samyang with the Jupiter at 2.0 I do see a difference, the Samyang is by far sharper.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ivo. The samyang/rokinon/etc. 1,4/85 i sby far sharpest at wide aperture than the J9.

But you a re talking about two very different lenses, You can say, with certain reason, that both are nice portrait lenses. And is true too than they are so, so differents that you can use the two at the same time.

I prefer the J9 IQ (not equal to resolution power as all of us know). I found in that lens a determinated context that gives to the subject certain magical appearance not very common. Without any PP the J9 can give us excelent portraits with more or less resolution power and great IQ.

Question of taste.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes indeed, two different ones. I mainly use 85mm for concerts and sports hence my preference now for the Samyang. I did use a Jupiter for many years with great pleasure and I'll certainly keep it and use it from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo wrote:
Jes indeed, two different ones. I mainly use 85mm for concerts and sports hence my preference now for the Samyang. I did use a Jupiter for many years with great pleasure and I'll certainly keep it and use it from time to time.

The Samyang (Vivitar, Rokinon, Bauer) 85 1.4 gets my vote.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivo wrote:

Agree. I Prefer to say one plus the other than one OR the other.

Rino.