Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I found a Petri lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: I found a Petri lens Reply with quote

Anyone ever try shooting with Petri? I wish I could go out and take some pics but it is still nasty outside. Any comments on Petri? The 50 mm and others...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petri glass is usually regarded as excellent. I have had two C.C. 55/1.8's, both excellent. One was in Petri bayonet mount and the aperture was stuck wide open. I put a PK mount on it and it was still sharp wide open. Then I sold that and got another (different formula) in M42 mount. I use it, it is excellent. Oh, did I say that Petri lenses are excellent? Yes, they are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, I was about to get rid of mine in m42 mount bc it had a no name ring to it but last week put it on my camera and took some shots and was blown away at how sharp it was and the beautiful bokeh it produced. I think I have one 50 mm in a different mount that I wil probably sell but after putting on that lens, it instantly went into my favorite and top lens list. Thanks for the confirmation. I know I am not totally out of my mind now. Lol. Wink. Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have several petri lenses and have found the petri orrikor kuribayashi lenses to be both very good and very compact. i like them better than the regular CC versions. all of mine are m42 mount. their compactness make them a nice choice on EVIL cams, in fact the POK 135/3.5 has been my mini tele indoor concert lens of choice on my m4/3 olly for quite some time now because its so tiny and rendition is so sharp wide open. i also have the POK 35/2.8, 50/2.0 and 180/3.5, which ive used to very good effect on my 5d.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a 1980 petri ttl camera. -> http://forum.mflenses.com/petri-ttl-beroflex-28mm-f2-8-pentax-takumar-50mm-f1-4-t37864.html

the petri lens you can see in the thread i don't use yet.
but the mechanic is quit poor, so may i will try it.

greets leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 55/1.8 CC and at least wide open is soft. I'm waiting since months that my father-in-law shows me his old Petri set... to see what he had used in the past. I hope in some gem Smile .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please ask him now instead of making me wait for months, too! I would like to know more about the Petri lens set. My 55/1.8 is spectacular. I have other Petri lenses, but I need to go through them still.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
in fact the POK 135/3.5 has been my mini tele indoor concert lens of choice on my m4/3 olly for quite some time now because its so tiny and rendition is so sharp wide open.

Oh, yummy. I wish I could see a picture of this lens. I would love to use one of these. Jealous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I found a Petri lens Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Anyone ever try shooting with Petri? I wish I could go out and take some pics but it is still nasty outside. Any comments on Petri? The 50 mm and others...

Well I just bought this lot for £1.50, I've changed the Petri 45mm CC lens for a Helios:-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A penny on a petri can go a long way!

LOL

I am getting my new Petri MF camera in a few days. Can't wait!!!

I would love to try someone's set of Helios lenses. So curious about the swirly whirlies....but that Petri Lens (cc auto 50 mm 1.Cool is sharp as TACK! Did I say TACK?

The two together.....can't wait to try.... and I can't wait to see your new pics with the Helios + Petri body together.... Oh, please do, post!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
A penny on a petri can go a long way!

LOL

I am getting my new Petri MF camera in a few days. Can't wait!!!

I would love to try someone's set of Helios lenses. So curious about the swirly whirlies....but that Petri Lens (cc auto 50 mm 1.Cool is sharp as TACK! Did I say TACK?

The two together.....can't wait to try.... and I can't wait to see your new pics with the Helios + Petri body together.... Oh, please do, post!

Well the results from the Helios would be the same as if it was on any other film camera Wink but if you want a small M42 camera this Petri must be one of the smallest.
Annoying points? The exposure meter although accurate is not the best, it's one of those "align the needle till it's in the middle of the ring" thingie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Petri camera with Petri Lens. I took photos of the camera with two different lenses. The top is from a Zeiss lens. The bottom two from a Petri lens.

I would like to know if anyone can see a difference in IQ, shot between the Petri and Zeiss glasses. Keep in mind the top two have been cropped to adjust for focal length of lens. I am sorry but I don't have the exact same focal lengths in glass for both sets. Is there a difference and if so, what?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know what kind of mount this really is? Is this really a Pentax K bayonet mount? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's the Petri mount, not the same as the Pentax K, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****I would like to know if anyone can see a difference in IQ, shot between the Petri and Zeiss glasses.****

Well I've been seeking out hidden gems for a few years and I can't remember anyone saying "WoW! you must get a Petri lens" ...........but I'm open minded.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
****I would like to know if anyone can see a difference in IQ, shot between the Petri and Zeiss glasses.****

Well I've been seeking out hidden gems for a few years and I can't remember anyone saying "WoW! you must get a Petri lens" ...........but I'm open minded.

I just bought a Petri CC Auto 1.8 55mm for 4.99, it's a bit dusty and needs a focus relube but looks like it will be a nice lens when cleaned up. If it does perform like a Zeiss I'll be delighted.

But which Zeiss are we talking about? Tessar? Sonnar? Biotar? Pancolar? Planar?

I have 6 different Helios 44s so I can compare the Petri to those, I have heard the Petri lenses are very similar in performance to Takumars of the same vintage so I'm hoping to get Takumar levels of performance out of my Petri. If not, 4.99 is not too much to waste!

Looks a bit yellow, not sure if it's the coating or whether, like a Takumar it's got some radiactive elements in it and needs some UV exposure...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy says "your Petri lens is sharp well a bit soft wide open" erm but most nifty fiftys are Wink .....and also interesting is:-

"Kuribayashi Petri also made lenses for other mounts such as the Nikon rangefinder, and were an occasional OEM for other companies such as Vivitar."

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/petri_vi.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Lol. Me neither. And. Me too. Open-minded!

Now here is something I cannot understand. The same pic I took wound up on ebay. I have never seen anyone stack a lens on a camera body like I just did. WTF?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Petri-7S-AuxillaryTele-and-Wide-angle-lenses-/220765943517?pt=AU_FILM_CAMERAS&hash=item3366acf6dd#ht_4477wt_922

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

I just bought a Petri CC Auto 1.8 55mm for 4.99, it's a bit dusty and needs a focus relube but looks like it will be a nice lens when cleaned up. If it does perform like a Zeiss I'll be delighted.

But which Zeiss are we talking about? Tessar? Sonnar? Biotar? Pancolar? Planar?

I have 6 different Helios 44s so I can compare the Petri to those, I have heard the Petri lenses are very similar in performance to Takumars of the same vintage so I'm hoping to get Takumar levels of performance out of my Petri. If not, 4.99 is not too much to waste!

Looks a bit yellow, not sure if it's the coating or whether, like a Takumar it's got some radiactive elements in it and needs some UV exposure...

Iangreenhalgh1, you will be very happy with that Petri you just bought! I think I used a Planar T*.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Iangreenhalgh1, you will be very happy with that Petri you just bought! I think I used a planar T*.

Wow, if it's as good as a Planar T* then I will be very happy indeed. My only other 50mm lenses are the Helios 44-2 which is great, the Pentacon 1.5/50 which I also love, an Industar-50 I haven't played with yet and a Pentax-M 2/50 that won't hit infinity on an EOS. So to get a Petri for 4.99 and to hear it's such a nice lens is very good news for me as i don't have the budget to but a Zeiss lens.

I will definitely clean and restore it now, thanks for the info and the test shots.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kicker is the rear mount. Which mount did you get? I am currently hacking my 135 mm Petri rear to be able to use on other cameras. I have never done anything so crazy, but I am guessing it might be worth it. Through the viewfinder, the 135 mm was tack sharp on that FT body. I also love how that camera clicks. It feels so strong and sweet. Look where the shutter button is! Sweet!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've screwed my Petri 45mm lens onto my MTL3 as a body cap and put it in the back of the cupboard Laughing maybe I should at least try it, but can't see it coming anywhere near say a Hexanon 40mm f1.8.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know man. It is a big risk. That Petri mount sucks big time. They are basically useless, the way they come. I am going to retake those pics as well, just to make sure, and be more scientific in an off the cuff way. Three trials are better than one.

Last edited by newton on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if my Petri is an M42 of bayonet until it arrives. If it's a bayonet I shall attempt surgery. Anyone know what the register is for a Petri bayonet?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does register mean? I am doing surgery on mine (135mm) and am in a limbo state wondering which rear I am going to hack on it. Something tricky. I could ask someone to manufacture mounts but that will take at least two years, but there is no market. This is the cost of this lens and why so many are just sitting uselessly on the market. I expect the prices to keep dropping because of that stupid mount in futility. I think they are worth no more than $2.99 USD. The prices some stupid ebay sellers are trying to sell them for. These guys are crazy and out of their minds! If they really want to sell them, they will readjust their prices into the junk and useless category, which is like 0.99, if at all. These lenses make great door stops.