Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I found a Petri lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Well the results from the Helios would be the same as if it was on any other film camera Wink but if you want a small M42 camera this Petri must be one of the smallest.
Annoying points? The exposure meter although accurate is not the best, it's one of those "align the needle till it's in the middle of the ring" thingie.

hi,
i think the metering is not so bad as you discribe.
if you put the needle in the circle, the measurement is quit accurate.
is't like an intergral measure.
you have adapt a little, if the dynamic of light is to wide, in the direction you will figure out the details.
i made 25 pics with an 24 pics film, the first time after years, with my petri ttl and technical all captures were well exposed.

btw: i love the haptics of the cam and the sound of the shutter! Cool

greets leo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leo_b wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Well the results from the Helios would be the same as if it was on any other film camera Wink but if you want a small M42 camera this Petri must be one of the smallest.
Annoying points? The exposure meter although accurate is not the best, it's one of those "align the needle till it's in the middle of the ring" thingie.

hi,
you have adapt a little, if the dynamic of light is to wide, in the direction you will figure out the details.
i made 25 pics with an 24 pics film, the first time after years, with my petri ttl and technical all captures were well exposed.

greets leo

Funny incident the other day, my dad was examining my Tair 3C and the aperture was cocked, he pressed the lever to release it and the loud 'thunk' it made nearly made him drop it! I love the noise it makes, you can tell it's made of steel!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leo_b wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

hi,

greets leo

Well it's quicker to use a hand held meter than my Petri..anyway I took three cameras out today to use and used the exposure settings from the other cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally love the sound of the click and the extremely quick vibration of the shutter on the camera body. I haven't held a camera body with that solid of a shutter release. My meter is stuck. The needle always in the middle of the circle.

I think it takes a CdS 625 battery, but I agree using a handheld light meter would be faster and may be easier. I wish I had my own dark room here; all my chemicals are in a different location.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
Yeah, I totally love the sound of the click and the extremely quick vibration of the shutter on the camera body. I haven't held a camera body with that solid of a shutter release. My meter is stuck. The needle always in the middle of the circle.

I think it takes a CdS 625 battery, but I agree using a handheld light meter would be faster and may be easier. I wish I had my own dark room here; all my chemicals are in a different location.

I've stuck a 1.5v battery in mine and I only had to adjust the asa dial by half a stop.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
What does register mean? I am doing surgery on mine (135mm) and am in a limbo state wondering which rear I am going to hack on it.

REGISTER is also called Flange Focal Distance, which is the distance from the lens mount to the frame (film or sensor).

Some lens registers:

Argus C3: ~35mm
Canon FD: 42.0mm
X-Fujinon: 43.5mm
Minolta MD: 43.7mm
Canon EOS: 44.0mm
Exakta bayonet: 44.7mm
Pentax PK/M42: 45.46mm
Petri, Contax/Yashica: 45.5mm
Olympus OM: 46.0
Nikon F: 46.5mm

Longer-register lenses can often be adapted to shorter-register cameras and retain infinity focus. Shorter-register lenses on longer-register cameras can focus only closely, unless undergoing major surgery like cutting away some of the lens body, or playing sticks with the adaptation. So I adapt Exakta-mount lenses to Pentax PK mount by thinning the adapter. I adapt Argus-C3 lenses by sticking the lens through a PK body cap and gluing it into place.

Adapting those Canons, Minoltas and X-Fujinons to Pentax are major chores that I have not yet attempted. The others are fairly easily do-able. As I mentioned in PM's, Newton, I removed the base of a Petri bayonet lens and glued-on a cheap M42-PK adapter ring, and it reached infinity focus -- and I get to do that again when more Petri lenses arrive!

Note that my first Petri mod was destructive, as I had to cut away the bayonet. Now that I know that the third attachment is a glued-on post, I may be able to make a reversible mod, using contact cement instead of Gorilla Glue. But I don't know if I can retain reversible aperture linkage, or if it will lose auto-stop-down capability. Modification of Petri glass may fall into the category of "necessary butchery". Bother.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified my Pentacons 1.8/50 and 2.8/28 to Canon EOS mount, they both work, infinity is still an issue, I think they are now about a mm too close to the sensor so focus just past infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
By sticking the lens through a PK body cap and gluing it into place.

Adapting those Canons, Minoltas and X-Fujinons to Pentax are major chores that I have not yet attempted. The others are fairly easily do-able. As I mentioned in PM's, Newton, I removed the base of a Petri bayonet lens and glued-on a cheap M42-PK adapter ring, and it reached infinity focus -- and I get to do that again when more Petri lenses arrive!

Note that my first Petri mod was destructive, as I had to cut away the bayonet. Now that I know that the third attachment is a glued-on post, I may be able to make a reversible mod, using contact cement instead of Gorilla Glue. But I don't know if I can retain reversible aperture linkage, or if it will lose auto-stop-down capability. Modification of Petri glass may fall into the category of "necessary butchery". Bother.

I did manage to put on a modified M42 from an old GOOD lens onto my 135 mm but I removed the black coating on the front element and now the pics look goofy. I need some phosphorus paint to recoat the side of the middle element. I need a better mod bc I think this glass has potential, plus I love how easy it is to take apart, clean and put back together.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: metering with petri ttl Reply with quote

ok guys,

everyone use the measurement method that he or she prefer.
but i used my petri for quit a long time in the 80's. omg, how old am i ... Rolling Eyes
and so i use the build in metering intuitionally and that's the fastest way for me ... Cool

greets leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: metering with petri ttl Reply with quote

leo_b wrote:
ok guys,

everyone use the measurement method that he or she prefer.
but i used my petri for quit a long time in the 80's. omg, how old am i ... Rolling Eyes
and so i use the build in metering intuitionally and that's the fastest way for me ... Cool

greets leo

Come on Leo admit that you prefer the more modern metering systems on film cameras Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: metering with petri ttl Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Come on Leo admit that you prefer the more modern metering systems on film cameras Wink

i prefer the best in all world ... Cool
so if it's usefull to meter external, i can do that too. Surprised
-> http://www.kameramuseum.de/2belichtung/gossen/gossen-sixtomat.htm
i got it for 5€ on a flea market ... Laughing

but if i want to have amazed or amused attention, i'll go with my pentacon six an the gossen for a walk ... Wink

greets leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: metering with petri ttl Reply with quote

leo_b wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

but if i want to have amazed or amused attention, i'll go with my pentacon six an the gossen for a walk ... Wink

greets leo

I'm cheap and still have a Weston and a Lubitel 166U, not put a film through it in many years though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: metering with petri ttl Reply with quote

leo_b wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

greets leo

Looks a bargain, but I had to look this exposure meter up on google...quite amusing in that in the list was some guy who was confused on how to use it Confused

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Petri 1.8/55 arrived this morning and it's in much better condition than the seller said.

The focus is smooth and as it should be, no need for relubing. The aperture is also smooth and has no oil on the blades at all, I think the seller was confused about the aperture sticking because the lens was set to 'A', I switched it to 'M' and the paerture is smooth as silk!

Very easy to remove the Petri bayonet, just two screws then some persuasion of the third fastener. Then I ground off the 4-5mm of protuding pin then epoxied a Canon bayonet from a broken Canon zoom lens on the back. Just waiting for the epoxy to harden then will test it out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you will have focusing problems with your Canon bayonet mount. Let me know.