Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How much to pay for a Minty Sonnar MC 200/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: How much to pay for a Minty Sonnar MC 200/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi,

I checked the price guide, and I found 2 results. One was sold for merely ~80USD in early 2007. The other one was going for 220USD IIRC. A local store at my place is selling this for $450 (no tax if use cash). So I wonder if you guys think it's worth it. I get this as a substitution for Voigtlander 180/4. Thank you.

Hiep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw locally here for 200USD , 450 USD is awful lot for a lens what is not really usable on DSLR bodies. You can buy a Nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED lens for less!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Attila. I'm just curious to why you said it's not really usable on a DSLR body.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD can be adapted with infinity focus on Olympus E-1 and hard to find adapter. Do you know other camera ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I saw locally here for 200USD , 450 USD is awful lot for a lens what is not really usable on DSLR bodies.

Why you say that Attila? I have one, and I used it with all my digital reflex, no problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD adaptable on Canon with infinity focus ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't he speaking of Jena Sonnar 2.8/200?

I am confused!!!!!! Confused

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Attilla,

I think you're mistaken Minty as an abbreviation for Minolta. This is the Zeiss Jena Sonnar MC 200/2.8. I'm using the Pentax K10D.

So after the confusion, i still wonder if $450 is too much.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jena 200 is not a common lens.
If the copy is really good, i.e. no sign on glass, aperture ok (check aperture, weak point of jena lenses), good looking, then the price can be acceptable, although surely not a bargain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was tired sorry guys! Sonnar is one of the best lens it's category rare and superb.300 USD not bad price for that, 450 USD too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio and Attila,

I think I would pass it for now. Just out of curiosity, have you guys seen the Pentax SMC-A* or FA* 85/1.4 in your area? I'm looking for one of these. In US, it's running for a very ridiculous price (1600 for the A*). Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: How much to pay for a Minty Sonnar MC 200/2.8 Reply with quote

hiep wrote:
Hi,

I checked the price guide, and I found 2 results. One was sold for merely ~80USD in early 2007. The other one was going for 220USD IIRC. A local store at my place is selling this for $450 (no tax if use cash). So I wonder if you guys think it's worth it. I get this as a substitution for Voigtlander 180/4. Thank you.

Hiep

You are getting rid of a Voigtländer 180/4 for a $220 lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I don't have the Voigtlander. I planned to get it but the only store in US that has this one happens to be in the same state with me so i have to pay the extra tax. This lens is outstanding, it's faster than the Cosina one and has good bokeh too. $450 would place it as much as the Voigtlander so I asked Attila and Orio if it's worth that price.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worth the price you want to put for it... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlaender's is a better lens for sure. If for nothing else, for it's new design and APO capability.
But the Sonnar is not an underdog - it's a Jena Sonnar, a lens with a glorious history and it's own personality. The 180 model (of which this 200 is a direct derivation) has been in production for 52 years - the lens has seen come and go dozens of other tele lenses. This means something to a MF lover.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Orio. i guess I need to wait it out for the Voigtlander then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiep wrote:
Thanks for the input Orio. i guess I need to wait it out for the Voigtlander then.

Make sure not to wait too much, because it's out of production, and when it's gone, it's gone for good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiep wrote:

Check out this review noting in particular the very low levels of CA and the high and very linear sharpness (edges are always only slightly worse than center). Bokeh is also outstanding.