Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me choose a good 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Help me choose a good 100mm Reply with quote

I have an excelent Minolta Rokkor f/2.5, it's almost perfect, it's very sharp straight from wide-open, but its aperture blades give a very acentuated hexagonal bokeh.

What 100mm lens will give a more "rounded" stoped-down bokeh?

Minolta 100mm wide-open:

at f/4, look at the strong hexagonal bokeh.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing... but I would like to have another option, like a more rounded f/4 and f/5.6 apertures.

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer 100mm F2.8 Trioplan. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

Indeed, those 15 iris blades really rock! And it's so light-weight (260g), and has a 49mm front thread which makes it great for reverse-stacking old short Takumars for high-magnification macros. In normal use its near-focus is 1.2m, so I keep tubes handy for closer work. A fine lens.

Last edited by RioRico on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

Indeed, those 15 iris blades really rock! And it's so light-weight (260g), and has a 49mm front thread which makes it great for reverse-stacking old Takumars for high-magnification macros. In normal use its near-focus is 1.2m, so I keep tubes handy for closer work. A fine lens.

A fine lens, yes. A round diaphragm, yes. But no creamy bokeh!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 105/2.5 in Ai or "K" designations has rounded aperture blades producing smooth and round bokeh at f/2.5 to f/4. Otherwise, a very old Tokina made 105/2.8 (can be labeled Hanimex, Prinz Galaxy or whatever) has 10 or more blades, producing very round highlights. That lens is not overly sharp though Smile I say, the Nikkor is your best bet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Aetna 100/2.5 with a lovely round preset iris. Lens was also available as a Mayfair Sankor. The lens is nice and sharp from f4 and has lovely bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a mint Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 - it has a very pleasing, creamy bokeh:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

integrale wrote:
I recently acquired a mint Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 - it has a very pleasing, creamy bokeh

yes I am sure it is very pleasing Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
integrale wrote:
I recently acquired a mint Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 - it has a very pleasing, creamy bokeh

And I am sure it is very cheap... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
poilu wrote:
integrale wrote:

And I am sure it is very cheap... Very Happy

I got no words to say.... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myer-Optik Görlitz Orestor 2.8/100
A small Juwel often at a good price....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
A small Juwel often at a good price....

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Meyer 100mm f/2.8 with many aperture blades is indeed a good choice. The Trioplan has very busy bokeh wide open, but stopped down it actually becomes quite smooth.

One lens with smooth creamy bokeh is the Sankyo Kohki Komura 105mm f/2.5, but it may be difficult to find. (The bokeh is also somewhat swirly at wide apertures, despite being smooth.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 105/2.5 AI gets my vote for inexpensive and legendary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not exacktly 100mm but I find the bokeh appealing and the sharpness sweet. The lens is short , can be bought cheaply if you find it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
A small Jewel often at a good price....

Just got one a couple weeks ago with some other lenses for free from my wife's uncle...I was impressed to say the least...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax K-x and Orestor 2.8/100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nikkor P.C 105 2.5 has a great bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys who can shed a light on what are the IQ/bokeh differences between 105mm Nikkors? Who is the champ 105mm Nikkor? There are plenty of 105mm Nikkors around and I cannot define which one to catch.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In manual focus lenses the Photodo site,testing showed the Nikkor 105mm f1.8 AI-S to be just a dad sharper wide open and stopped down a few stops(but hardly enough to be noticable) then the (large rear element Gauss) Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-S (from f4-5.6 on the 2.5 is sharper)next the Nikon 100mm f2.8 E.followed by the (small rear element Sonnar) Nikkor 105mm f2.5 non-AI.....the Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 does quite well at infinity,but not quite as sharp for macro and closeups.All of these lenses have pleasing bokeh.

I have all the lenses above(except the Micro-Nikkor which I sold last year) and they show the same.

Bjørn Rørslett & David Ruether rate the lenses about the same,but both rate the 2.5 AI-S higher then the 1.8 AI-S.....

http://web.archive.org/web/20031009001142/www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also rate 105mm f2.5 AIS above any other 105mm Nikkor lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I also rate 105mm f2.5 AIS above any other 105mm Nikkor lenses.

I have them all: Sonnar-type with 9 and 6 blades, early K type (Xenotar formula), Ai, AIS, and AIS with SIC coating. There are no perceivable differences within the Xenotar group; of course, the Sonnar-type (white nose) Nikkors draw in a completely different manner. That having said, my favorites are K and Ai types for their rounded 7-bladed aperture. AIS 105's have straight aperture blades, and produce heptagonal-shaped bokeh from f/2.8 onwards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the sake of comparison,I've known many who prefer the Sonnar(small rear element silver nose) over the the later modified double-Gauss for portrait work.By the same token,there are those who who prefer the F,C,K and AI versions for the curved aperture blades and the HS-8 lens hood rather then the smaller pull out hood of the AI-S.I also know many who prefer 'agonal bokeh highlights at times versus round or egg-shapped highlights....then you get the camp that says the AI-S versions have the best lens coating and think the micro-contrast is better.

I never jumped on the thread about the discussion of Nikon's use of the trademark name Xenotar (the Schneider licensed name for their modification of the double-Gauss) in a thread here last fall,I didn't want to muddy the waters even more.There are those who feel the Xenotar reference on the Nikkor site is a misnomer....http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/technology/nikkor/n05_e.htm.....

You can look around the net for discussions on this....in this interesting discussion the Planar is initially the topic discussed,further along the Xenotar is discussed....http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00WRWn?start=0....

"Xenotar is a Schneider trademark.There are some Xenotar and Planars(Zeiss trademark) that are almost identical in design;ie both double Gauss types;with slightly different design tweaks; glass types; spacings; elements"....

"In the Nikon Schools they called the new 105mm a Gauss type lens. Typically vendors prefer to call their products by the design; and NOT another"s trademark of a competitor; ie Planar or Xenotar"....

"There are Xenotars and Planars that look like they are exact clones; and ones that look a lot different; ie glaring; ie one extra element. Thus dwelling on whether x-brand 80mm F2.8 is a Planar or Xenotar is absurd from an Engineering standpoint; since neither Planar nor Xenotar has an exact definition.....

"In lens design programs optical engineers use,there are examples of old designs one can play with. Most of the time the patent number; name of the lens and guy who designed it are right there; plus reference that the name is a trademark

"It is really poor practice for a Nikon article to use another's brand name like it is generic; Schneider could do this too and try to make Nikons trade-names generic.Smile The article should at least mention that Xenotar is a Schneider name; ie gain some professionalism. In the old days with editors one could not publish stuff without real references; today it is common.

Personally I think each lens has it's own particular character and all are capable lenses for their intended use.

Nikkor 105mm f2.5 AI-S @ f2.8

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some fine lenses here

i'd like to know if some of you have the Olympus 100mm 2.8 and what's their opinions on that one, cos i plan to buy one; thanx

sorry for the thread stealing Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an SMC Takumar 105/2.8 ?

The lens ...

At f/4:

At f/5.6:

Cheers