Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me choose a good 100mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NIkon Series E 100mm is often overlooked because it was a "cheap" lens when new and not terribly exotic. But I found it to be excellent and it has very good bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
Some fine lenses here

i'd like to know if some of you have the Olympus 100mm 2.8 and what's their opinions on that one, cos i plan to buy one; thanx

sorry for the thread stealing Wink

Just the other day I was using the OM 100/2.8 Nice sharp lens. Bokeh may be not as good as my Nikon ai 105/2.5

Here is a sample

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pic Sculptur, nice flower & nice avatar!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
What about an SMC Takumar 105/2.8 ?

or the preset Takumar f2.8/105mm? this thread just promted my to show some recent photos taken with it at the MF gallery: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1044337.html#1044337

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
indianadinos wrote:

or the preset Takumar f2.8/105mm?

Tried Super and S-M-C versions; NOT impressed. Soft wide open with harsh bokeh, still not that crispy at f/4. There are better alternatives available for about the same price, including Nikon Series E 100/2.8, Nikkor 105/2.5 (all versions), Fujinon 100/2.8 in M42 (the EBC is supposed to be better, but my non-EBC one looks great), and Russian Kaleinar-5H in M42 and Nikon mounts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Fujinon 100/2.8 in M42 (the EBC is supposed to be better, but my non-EBC one looks great), and Russian Kaleinar-5H

Both the Fujinon and the Kaleinar are superb lenses, but the original poster's complaint was the aperture shape showing in bokeh, and these lenses do not help with that. (But the Super & SMC Takumars aren't any better in that respect.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:

Lovely shots you posted, but both are such “easy” bokeh situations that nearly any lens would have smooth bokeh there. In the f/5.6 one can actually see the faint outline of the aperture shape, so I'm pretty sure this lens would not help with the OP's quest for a lens that maintains a round aperture stopped down…