Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 44... Wich is the better model?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Helios 44... Wich is the better model? Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I'm new in this forum. My name is Chiti and I'm from La Coruña, in Spain.

Reading this forum, I see very good coments to the Helios 44, 'cause is very cheap for this quality.

However, searching a good model in ebay, I see two different models:

The K1750 44-2 and the K1780 44-M

What helios is the better choice?

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better is subjective. I have the 44M but think the 44-2 has better bokeh (I hear) & may be a better choice of the 2. The 44-3 is supposed to be really good, but the 44M-7 is probably the sharpest.

Have a look at this thread and decide which you think may be better. A lot is dependant on the luck of the draw and which factory produced the lens as sometimes, quality control was done on Friday afternoons. lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the lens only by teh forum and by tests.

In the forum and in the helios pages the sharp is the 44 M 7. In the tetsts that I see (3) the sharp was the 44 M 7 but the most constrast was in the 44 M 6.

But all of them lost the character that have the 44-2.

Among the 44-2 which version is the better? I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Take all, nice lenses and they are dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found the 44-2, 44M and 44M-4 to all be excellent Smile

Note, with the 44M-4 you will need to take the back off and keep tyhe pin pushed down if using digitial with an adapter with no flange (no auto.manual switch)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is a chrome M39 44. But they are so cheap - just get half a dozen and see which you prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two completely different versions of the 44-2 - they were made in two different factories (1 x KMZ, 1 x Valdai) - and are as far apart as the North and South Poles.

Also have a 44-M4 and an 44-M6 - they are more similar in terms of results.

But, as has been said already, they're so affordable that it would be no harm to buy a few and see which you prefer the most Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
I have two completely different versions of the 44-2 - they were made in two different factories (1 x KMZ, 1 x Valdai) - and are as far apart as the North and South Poles.

Hello!!

Why so differents? More contrast ? Best resolution? Which is what? KMZ or VALDAI ones?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 44-2 and used to have the 44-M6. I liked the 44-2 better but that is just my opinion. Either way you go, you can't go wrong- as others have said.

Buy them both Wink You can NEVER have too many 50mm's Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have various versions of this lens, a MMZ-44-2 is coming. I plan to perform a big Helios-44 test soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several versions of 44-2:

1. MMZ 1st model "zebra" - same barrel as MMZ version of 44(-1)

2. MMZ 2nd model - white lettering, glossy paint

3. KMZ - colored lettering

4. JOV - colored lettering

5. MMZ 3rd model - similar to KMZ and JOV model

6. MMZ 4rd model - new barrel

photos by J.Vacek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great help for us. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for your answers Wink

I didn't know the several versions of 44-2 ... i'm thinking buy the 44-2 and the M6 only for pure vice, hahaha

When Horvlans publish this Helios battle, I'll can get out of my doubts... and i'm sure that I will buy the two models... Rolling Eyes Laughing

Regards!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best is 44-4m

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karabud wrote:
I think the best is 44-4m

Why? Did you perform a test with the others?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44... Wich is the better model? Reply with quote

Chiti wrote:

(...)
What helios is the better choice?
(...)

Well, IMHO the differences in image quality among several factories are almost
impossible to notice in regular use.
At the moment I've tested about 30 different Helios-44 lenses, many versions,
and all what I can say - all were pretty good.
In my inventory I have 5 copies of Helios-44-2 from KMZ, Valdai and Belomo,
3 copies of Helios 44-M-4 (KMZ and Valdai), one Helios 44-K4 and 3 copies of Helios 44-3 (Belomo).

Which is the best one?
Well, the best one is copy which have clean optics with no scratches, and OK mechanically, with no oil on diaphragm Wink

For pleasure of use with dSLR I would choose any preset version - 44-2 or 44-3.
For image quality - Helios 44-3 or Helios 44-K/M-4 are multicoated, so they give better results in backlight conditions.
Automatic diaphragm Helios 44-M/K versions have less diaphragm blades, so their "bokeh" is a bit less creamy.
My favourite one is Helios 44-3.
That's all.

Whatever (not broken) Helios You choose, You shall not be disappointed with APS-c sensor camera. With full frame sensor You must accept noticeable lower resolution in the corners at f2, or step down to f4 to be happy again.
If You can not live without more "pixel sharpness" in the corners at full aperture and 35mm sensor - choose something like Zenitar 50/1.7, Pancolar 50/1.8 or whatever lens with better corner resolution.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why? Did you perform a test with the others?

My sample is sharp as Nikkor 50mm 1.8 af-d(at full aperture too).Btw my father used this lens for 20 years with great results:)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer Wariag

The cornes isn' t a priority... if i want a good resolutions in the corners i can use de CZ planar, for example.

Reading about the diferent Helios models in other pages, I'm starting to choose the 44-3 as the winner in my mind, and it's probably that I'll buy one unit in a few days.

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Helios 44... Wich is the better model? Reply with quote

wariag wrote:

For pleasure of use with dSLR I would choose any preset version - 44-2 or 44-3.
For image quality - Helios 44-3 or Helios 44-K/M-4 are multicoated, so they give better results in backlight conditions.
Automatic diaphragm Helios 44-M/K versions have less diaphragm blades, so their "bokeh" is a bit less creamy.
My favourite one is Helios 44-3.
That's all.

Probably a good compromise for all these aspects is Helios 44M: multicoated (if I am not mistaken), 8 blades diaphragm (the last model that has this feature), A/M aperture switch (again if I am not mistaken the only model that have this feature, for me it is more convenient than preset).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

44M isn't multi-coated. Even majority of 44M-4 isn't multi-coated - only some late copies are. These are MC:

44-3
44M-4 (late copies)
44M-5
44M-6
44M-7
77M
77M-4

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an original glossy Helios 44 today! I've had a few 44-2, 44M and 44M-4 before, but never the first version Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver one from KMZ, or zebra from MMZ? Both of them made 44(-1) Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Silver one from KMZ, or zebra from MMZ? Both of them made 44(-1) Smile

It's a glossy black KMZ Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took some shots with the v.1 Helios-44 with 13 aperture blades.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rawhead/tags/helios4458mmf2/

And I'm quite liking it. Contrary to my fears, it really did not have much flare problems; I don't know if that's because of the recessed primary element, but it definitely felt better with flare than my 44M.

Too bad I won't feel comfortable using it on my 5D because of the mirror issue; I took this pic with t T-mount adapter in between to act as a short extender.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit something to you guys.
None of these variations seem to different to me.
Maybe I think we make to big of a deal about 50mm ish lenses.
Almost all are so good that it's difficult to say "Oh this one is by far the best choice".
Now we are talking about the best within a same optical formula/model Confused
It's just like saying how long is a piece of thread. But all the threads are the same length in this case.

Am I so wrong or just a little bit?

Sorry I just don't think I get it.