Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-44 M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Helios-44 M39 Reply with quote

Today I got a M39 Helios-44 for 3.5 euros.
Glass has only some cleaning marks, but unfortunately the barrel is
dirty, the front ring has a dent and the aperture ring does not rotate
freely enough. I tried to clean it up, but unfortunately it still needs
work.

13 blades!!!!!!

Two photos wide open one with Helios-44 and another one with Helios-44-2. I think the only difference is that the
M39 helios has a bit warmer colors.

This is from Helios-44

This is from Helios-44-2

Last edited by PapadakosPanagiotis on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing is that I thought all version of Helios have 6 or 8 blades,
not 13 like this one. Anyone has any info about this?
Maybe because it is a 0225711?

P.S.
This one has I think 8 blades
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcof/2251219508

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple test
Helios vs Helios-2 wide open

Helios-44

100% crop

Helios-44-2

100% crop

These are on a crop x2 camera. Tried to focus on the letters
using liveview.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a M39 Helios, Papadakos, but I can not check it now because I have my mother as guest tonight and she's sleeping in the room with the lenses.
Tomorrow I will let you know how many blades my Helios has.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have a M39 Helios, Papadakos, but I can not check it now because I have my mother as guest tonight and she's sleeping in the room with the lenses.
Tomorrow I will let you know how many blades my Helios has.

Thank you Orio. By the way my first name is Panagiotis! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a lovely lens I have several copy of them , price is incredible cheap why we not take many of them Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapadakosPanagiotis wrote:

Thank you Orio. By the way my first name is Panagiotis! Very Happy

oops Embarassed sorry!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the very first Helios lenses were assembeled from original CZJ parts. CZJ had 58/2 Biotars with 10 blades, 12 blades (T, silver) and 17 blades (T, black). Maybe CZJ was preparing version with 13 blades (which became russian prey later) and after WW2, CZJ designed 12 blades version instead(?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seem that the M42 and the M39 have different coated - note the reflexions in jupiter 9, biotars, etc. Differents era of production?

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is closest to Carl Zeiss, quality can be excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
It seem that the M42 and the M39 have different coated - note the reflexions in jupiter 9, biotars, etc. Differents era of production?

Rino.

I had an email exchange with a Zeiss (I mean Zeiss Oberkochen) technician last year. He was very friendly and took a lot of time for the reply. A degree of customer support (heck, technically speaking, I'm not even their customer!), that should be showed to other companies... well, anyways he said to me that the different colouring of the coating does not mean, per se, a better or worse coating, it's just the different metals used, but there are several metals with similar optical properties that can be used without a significant difference. The technique of the coating, how coats are layered down, this is what can make the difference, he said.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, one more time. But I ask miself about the differents reflexions in the coat, that differences imply, or not, distinc colors transmission.

I have two pancolars 50 mm. One with pale orange/yellow/green/blue/purpure reflexions, and the other with pale yellow/purpure. This differences will transmit to the film/sensor. The first is more neutral tones, the second with yellow/green dominant.

Of course that circumstance don't related with the worse of the coat, but it's with the better quality of the transmission of the light that the coat do.

Rino.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have two Jupiter-9s
Same model (same barrel) and not too distant serial numbers.
One had blue coating, the other had orange coating.
Well the one with blue coating gave slightly warmer tonality to the images...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/ZENIT-EM-FOTOGRAF-MAKINASI-CILDIR-25-YTL_W0QQidZZ12410038

Isn't this the same lens.. Looks different though..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Orio"]I used to have two Jupiter-9s
Same model (same barrel) and not too distant serial numbers.
One had blue coating, the other had orange coating.
Well the one with blue coating gave slightly warmer tonality to the images...[/quote]

Yes, blue reflexions, yellow transmission

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another one with 13 blades Click here to see on Ebay.
(asked the seller). Notice that it also has a serial 0318119

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
http://urun.gittigidiyor.com/ZENIT-EM-FOTOGRAF-MAKINASI-CILDIR-25-YTL_W0QQidZZ12410038

Isn't this the same lens.. Looks different though..

44M is much later, it's very similar to 44M-4, but it has 8-blades, while 44M-4 only 6. Both 44M nad 44M-4 are very common and cheap (their optical performance is not outstanding)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
I read that the very first Helios lenses were assembeled from original CZJ parts. CZJ had 58/2 Biotars with 10 blades, 12 blades (T, silver) and 17 blades (T, black). Maybe CZJ was preparing version with 13 blades (which became russian prey later) and after WW2, CZJ designed 12 blades version instead(?)

That is interesting. Any link available?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I visited so much websites about lenses during this summer, that I can't remember even the one, where I found this information...