Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40 and landscapes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Helios 40 and landscapes Reply with quote

The well known Helios 85/1.5 is rarely shown in use for landscapes. I recently had it on when I was taking some seascapes, so I gave it a go:

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40 for landscape... no way!

did I read this right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

did I read this right?

It's a Planar by design, so it sharpens up really nice when stopped down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce - you read it correctly and the response is exactly why I tried it out. Seems to me this is a far more flexible lens than we have been giving it credit for. Just because it will open to f1.5 does not mean it does not function perfectly well in the f5.6 - f11 range Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na, it is only not used since it is so darn heavy to toad around... Wink Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

did I read this right?

Check this Smile

focused at front tree...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Just because it will open to f1.5 does not mean it does not function perfectly well in the f5.6 - f11 range Very Happy Very Happy

Orio (I think) has demonstrated it's use stopped down. I had one for a short time. At f/8 it was as sharp as anything I've seen - but it was too heavy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Patrick! nice seascape
color look off on my lcd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu

I find it very hard to get an accurate WB with the Canon. It is especially a problem with lenses with an unusual cast to them (my Helios was yellow until it took up sunbathing)

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice seascape Patrick, crisp and clear, and the colours do not look so much off on my monitor, just a little bit - it looks a little bit "filmish" if you like - which is not necessarily a bad thing.