Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios 40-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Some Helios 40-2 Pictures Reply with quote

Thanks to Bob and VGR for some great portraits.

Thank you also for reminding me of this lens. I took it out of its bag and shot a few pictures this afternoon (all wide open, except No.5 taken at f/16):

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Some Helios 40-2 Pictures Reply with quote

Abbazz

thanks!

Your photos also the beautiful! Fantastical bohe, it cannot be confused...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Abbazz: liked both portraits, but #5 is the stunner for me. Amazing!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 and 4 are my favourites, but they're all fine shots. The only thing is I now a) desperately want this lens and b) desperately want a fraction of your talent in using it Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is great. I cant wait for my lens to stop cooking - it's been under light UV for a week now and I can still see the yellow cast. Sad Sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Keep the Helios-40 pictures coming.

patrickh wrote:
#4 is great. I cant wait for my lens to stop cooking - it's been under light UV for a week now and I can still see the yellow cast. Sad Sad

Think about your luck: you have a free built-in yellow filter for B&W shooting!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz
That's a disgustingly cheerful and practical view to take - I prefer to wallow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I cant wait for my lens to stop cooking - it's been under light UV for a week now and I can still see the yellow cast. Sad Sad

Hi Patrick, in Nov 2006 I had a very yellowed S-Tak 1.4/50 arrive and sometime around mid-December I put it on my bathroom window cill (facing South West) to cook. I know you appreciate what our weather is like here, and we had a particularly grey winter last year - weeks and weeks without any sun. And what with the short days as well, I don't think the lens received any useful sunlight until mid February at least. But, even when the sun did start to appear, nothing seemed to change for ages I got a bit despondent about it. But suddenly in late March I noticed it had got appreciably clearer, and by May the yellow had virtually disappeared and there was no cast on the pictures.

I suppose what I'm trying to say to you is, be patient. The lens has probably been kept with caps on, maybe inside a closed case, for years and years. To expect the yellow to disappear quickly is asking too much, and if it did, I would always be very worried about blocking light from it at all in future.

It's a great lens and it deserves some time to heal on its own. I'm delighted with mine now, and I'm sure you will be too when it's ready.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peterq

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I have always known it would take time, but I see these samples and want to get in there. The few shots I did manage to take were in fact encouraging. That's where digital raw is a real advantage - the ability to adjust the WB. Also I just like looking at the lens - it is almost a work of art in its beautiful aluminium body! Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked I want this lens!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios 44 may not have the smoothest bokeh (just have a look at Orio's picture in this thread or at the first portrait of my Feb 7th post) but it has an unmistakable rendering. I love to use it wide open at minimum focusing distance to get those dreamy pictures:

1. The green wave

2. Frangipanier

As you might have noticed, today was quite wet here in Brunei. It kind of reminded me of the British weather

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz you know how to make a person salivate

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a Helios 44-2 2/58?
if so, what's the verdict?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VGR wrote:
Bob

Try to shot on f/1.5 Wink