Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios-40 1.5/85 Test shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Helios-40 1.5/85 Test shots Reply with quote

Here is a serie of test shots taken with the Helios-40 alu version 1.5/85mm of 1963, from f:1.5 to f:16.

I find it to be quite sharp in the center at f:1.5, sharp at f:2.0 and very sharp from f:2.8 to f:16, then sharp at f:22.

All shots taken with Canon EOS 40D, hand held, ISO 200.

1- @f:1.5

2- @f2.8

3- @f:5.6

4- @f:8.0

5- @f:16

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy somethings, the difference between wide open and 2.8 are insane! I so can't wait to get my hands on this lens! It certainly is high on my list!

Does it matter which one you get by the way? I've seen black and alu versions, are they all about the same quality wise?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWH wrote:
Holy somethings, the difference between wide open and 2.8 are insane! I so can't wait to get my hands on this lens! It certainly is high on my list!

Does it matter which one you get by the way? I've seen black and alu versions, are they all about the same quality wise?

Optical and built quality are same, they have filter thread and tripod mount difference black is more expensive and more standard.

Personally I prefer older as possible I had several black and silver, I kept oldest one. I love it's optical quality better than others.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..

wide open it may be sharpish in the center, but anything around is clearly soft. As dreamy as this Biotar copycat, not very useful unless you are after the dreamy soft look.
I see a clear, major difference with the shots at f/5.6 and f/8 (being the best in quality and all-around sharpness) and all the other ones. At f/16 it gets pretty bad again. CA however seems to be in check.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helios-40-2 has a slightly higher resolution (36 lines/mm in the centre and 17 lines/mm in the edges) than the Helios-40 aluminium (32 lines/mm in the centre and 16 lines/mm in the edges).

The difference is negligible at the edges but in the centre it can guarantee a little extra sharpness to the later model, which can become useful for eyes sparkle when shooting a portrait at or near wide open.

-

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsr wrote:
Well..

wide open it may be sharpish in the center, but anything around is clearly soft. As dreamy as this Biotar copycat, not very useful unless you are after the dreamy soft look.
I see a clear, major difference with the shots at f/5.6 and f/8 (being the best in quality and all-around sharpness) and all the other ones. At f/16 it gets pretty bad again. CA however seems to be in check.

I think it looks pretty good - I doubt the designer ever expected it to be used at f1.5 in full daylight Smile

Be good to see some shots taken under poor lighting ...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first alu version here. Its serial number begins by 63 which I think means it was made in 1963.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helios-40-2 wide-open on Pentax K10D. Resize only.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the bokeh monster and 3D effect.
This one is very good.
http://juredolzan.deviantart.com/art/The-Vanishing-149057409

thanks Pancolart. Smile

What is your first name ? Jure or Dolzan ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I am glad you liked it. I first wanted to post that photo when still unedited, but then i started retouching and i decided to show others. Another edit from Helios: http://juredolzan.deviantart.com/art/Blue-Suede-Shoes-128772974
BR, Jure (first name).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW ! Shocked
http://juredolzan.deviantart.com/art/Blue-Suede-Shoes-128772974
Jure, I love your photos !

and I like Eddie Cochran's music very much (cf blue suede shoes...) Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Olivier!