Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Zealand has a 15% GST that ebay adds to shipments with that destination. Prior to the advent of Covid, I was using a reshipper called mailbox.de in Germany for my ebay shipments. They would subtract the 20% VAT for Eu purchases, before then adding the 15% GST for the NZ government, meaning that I generally got a small rebate which helped offset against the postage.

Once Covid hit, they were unable to ship to this part of the world cheaply, so I stopped using them. I haven't checked lately as to whether shipping services have resumed. It may be worth checking this company as they are one of the few to automatically refund the EU VAT to the buyer before levying any other taxes required by the destination state.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
alex ph wrote:
It seems that the tax protocol was defined a bit beforehand the final act. Here is on of the questions brought by EU FAQ and directly related to the topic:

"I want to import a second hand car from the UK after 1 January 2021. Will I have to undergo customs clearance and pay taxes?

Goods imported directly from Northern Ireland will not be subject to taxes and customs formalities, in line with the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland. Goods imported into the EU from GB after 1 January 2021 will be subject to VAT and customs formalities, like goods imported from any other third country. These formalities apply whether or not the goods are second hand".

Here is some more info illustrating the import of second hand cars.

So the question is when trading platforms and national customs start thoroughly applying the new regulation?

I wonder if this will be an opportunity for some enterprising people in N Ireland to become 'brokers' between the EU and the UK ? Question Question

This was the biggest problem of Brexit. Northern Ireland as a big leaky hole in the European customs wall. So now there is a customs wall between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess "some enterprising people" already do more lucrative smuggler activities than shipping vintage lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Yes, eBay.co.uk still includes the UK in EU searches, that will surely change before too long I expect.

They found a 'solution' to this problem. They changed the option EU to "EU and UK" I bet it took a lot of programming to achieve that much.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just been hit with an additional (and automatic) 20% VAT for the first time, buying from this place called the EU. Ouch! It also meant the item went over a value where the Post Office can take some duty off you too, if they notice. Plus a handling fee. Waiting to see if that happens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Juli first 2021 the VAT-free rule for everything imported to the EU under €22 will be abolished. So things will get even worse. when I have to pay handling costs of 13 euros on everything I will just make the post company richer. It will be particularly harmful for small sellers who can't work around customs by using their own import service provider.

Last edited by D1N0 on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
alex ph wrote:
It seems that the tax protocol was defined a bit beforehand the final act. Here is on of the questions brought by EU FAQ and directly related to the topic:

"I want to import a second hand car from the UK after 1 January 2021. Will I have to undergo customs clearance and pay taxes?

Goods imported directly from Northern Ireland will not be subject to taxes and customs formalities, in line with the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland. Goods imported into the EU from GB after 1 January 2021 will be subject to VAT and customs formalities, like goods imported from any other third country. These formalities apply whether or not the goods are second hand".

Here is some more info illustrating the import of second hand cars.

So the question is when trading platforms and national customs start thoroughly applying the new regulation?

I wonder if this will be an opportunity for some enterprising people in N Ireland to become 'brokers' between the EU and the UK ? Question Question

Hmmm, something to think about. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
So after the Brexit is done, guess buying in the UK has now import taxes on it,
that should be approx 25% for Germany (19% VAT + 6% on optics)??

Makes it quite less attractive, too bad, good sellers in the UK which I will miss... Sad

Indeed a sad story. For Austria it's even more expensive and the process fee for import is adding as well. This will result in approximately 140% of the original sales price...

I've bought quite often from UK, that's definitely history now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea. There's a guy in NI on some of the FB groups we are in. I've dealt with him in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is going on in western capitalism seems like total bureaucracy overkill. At least in EU the power of institutions and state is expanding. Combined with strange, even menacing political correctness and Covid (i won't give any adjective, so you can think your own) response, it is crazy. And to think future lies in TikTok generation? Oh my, my. Still, to live anywhere else, even USA is far from dream land any more. Ups, dwelled into politics a bit, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, I live in the USA and I'm stuck here for now -- unless Texit happens.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there's been any more news with respect to the changes in the British VAT and orders from the US. I still haven't ordered those bike parts I need.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the topic, I have two recent experiences with lens acquisitions shipped from the UK to EU, one positive and one false negative. Hey, Pancolart, hasn't Covid expanded nicely our vocabulary?

The positive experience considers two enlarger lenses I got for an affordable price from a UK seller. I've got them today, without any notice from Customs or previously any annoyance from ebay. The last one could have place. The seller accepted to send the lenses to EU, but found out ebay forces him to send them only via Global shipping program, thus no combined shipping, elevated fees and probably some added tax. So he was really nice to relist the lenses so that I could get them with another shipping option and sent them to me with ITS Royal mail. The packet took 10 days to arrive. I noticed that the seller marked the lenses as "gift", thus maybe avoiding to pay the export tax. But he also indicated the real value which was not high. So all in all that worked pretty well.

The false negative experience was my contact with another seller who was trading a curious projector lens, with no bidders. So I asked him if I might bid from EU. He replied extensively explaining why he saw no deal sending me the lens: "Now because of Brexit, I need to complete three customs forms, provide my address/your address, my passport details/your passport details and an appropriate Tarif number (which I need to find). I'm not comfortable putting my passport details down, let alone asking you for yours - it's just not worth it." Does that also concern private shipping, something like gift? HE confirmed that it does and referred to those rules https://support-ebay.packlink.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360006638399##instructions. So, I couldn't have the lens. But the seller was really nice to explain why he saw that problematic. So not a negative experience in terms of overpaid pack or the one stuck at Customs, but a false negative, as I just couldn't get the lens I wished to test. The price of the lens under question was not higher than the price of those two I get from the first seller.

As I conclude from these two incompatible experiences, if the price is not high, and the seller is nice and daring, that still may work for EU without disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm baffled by the general ignorance on the matters! The EU rules for importing from "third countries" have been there for years. The were not applicable to the UK as the EU had an agreement on free movement of trade, services and persons within the EU. Now the UK has become a "third country" period. So the general rules apply. IE if one buys from China, US or UK all the same. Besides every national gov. has a site where one can find the "import tax calculator" so it is easy enough to find out what will be the final bill. Whether you can get past the customs with your purchase is a matter of "chance" you may win but you may lose big time for an expensive purchase, but control may become more stringent as time moves by ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered two books from British ebay sellers (No more than about 5 pounds each including shipping). They are sent through regular mail. There is a customs declaration on them but no Pitney Bowes interference. Of course that will be over once the VAT rules change. The 21% mark up isn't a problem on a 3 to 5 pound book ( I believe it is even 9% for books), but it will add handling of 13 euro's instantaneously killing any advantage of me ordering them from eBay.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO each and every EU country has still different national rules for imports from 3rd countries like UK, US or China in terms of minimum value for taxation. As from middle of 2021 this may change and ALL goods will be processed and charged during import; i.e. no more exceptions for gift shipments or low value goods, mainly because everything which is shipped from China is declared as gift or fake low value.
In essence up to now and until further it's still a little bit of lottery if goods from 3rd countries will be charged or not during import. This might change this year for all goods.

I've recently imported goods from China and Japan. One shipment from China was cleared at port of entry in the Netherlands and I had to pay online to get the goods shipped to Austria, the other shipment from China was declared low value and was delivered without further cost to my home and the shipment from Japan was customs cleared in Austria and the fees have been collected at delivery including a very high fee for cash collection.

If I can avoid 3rd country imports I will certainly do that. Imports from UK barely make any sense for me any longer. Too much troubles and cost.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
I'm baffled by the general ignorance on the matters! The EU rules for importing from "third countries" have been there for years. The were not applicable to the UK as the EU had an agreement on free movement of trade, services and persons within the EU. Now the UK has become a "third country" period. So the general rules apply. IE if one buys from China, US or UK all the same. Besides every national gov. has a site where one can find the "import tax calculator" so it is easy enough to find out what will be the final bill. Whether you can get past the customs with your purchase is a matter of "chance" you may win but you may lose big time for an expensive purchase, but control may become more stringent as time moves by ...

The issue is that Brexit was a land of milk and honey and less forms, The real problem is you can say anything in an election or referendum in the UK, no risk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

April 1 and now more Brexit rulings becoming effective is no joke. Ordered British inkjet paper rolls through my dealer here and 3 weeks delivery time is what I now have to expect they told me. That becomes a real issue if you notice that the coating of the first batch that arrived has defects. German competing manufacturer raised prices, wonder whether they anticipated the Brexit effects early on.

I understand that UK electricians, bankers, etc are going to harvest the British asparagus this year ....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
IMHO each and every EU country has still different national rules for imports from 3rd countries like UK, US or China in terms of minimum value for taxation. As from middle of 2021 this may change and ALL goods will be processed and charged during import; i.e. no more exceptions for gift shipments or low value goods, mainly because everything which is shipped from China is declared as gift or fake low value.
In essence up to now and until further it's still a little bit of lottery if goods from 3rd countries will be charged or not during import. This might change this year for all goods.

I've recently imported goods from China and Japan. One shipment from China was cleared at port of entry in the Netherlands and I had to pay online to get the goods shipped to Austria, the other shipment from China was declared low value and was delivered without further cost to my home and the shipment from Japan was customs cleared in Austria and the fees have been collected at delivery including a very high fee for cash collection.

If I can avoid 3rd country imports I will certainly do that. Imports from UK barely make any sense for me any longer. Too much troubles and cost.

Wrong IMHO ... all import duty calculators throughout the EU are identical ... only apparently some type of fee % may be slightly different.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Wrong IMHO ... all import duty calculators throughout the EU are identical ... only apparently some type of fee % may be slightly different.

DUTY may be the same but TAX and fees are differently. There is also a tax free limit which shall expire this year; i.e. for ALL good's import tax will then apply. IMHO something like up to € 20 is tax and duty free for the time being, at least in my country.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since from Juli 1 the import rules changes the rates have also changed. At least in the Netherlands.

No VAT free amount so you always pay a 21% mark up (unless the seller can handle VAT for you)

Under €150: Handling costs are now down to €4 (from €13) and you can pay them online (€7 if you choose not to and pay at the post office) . If VAT is paid to the seller there are no handling costs.
Over €150: Handling costs are €10 (€13 when paid at post office) because there is additional work required for declaring import tax.

So the good news is buying stuff that is not so much more than €22 is now actually becoming cheaper, because handling costs are down by €9,- If you order from aliexpress you will likely pay your VAT to them. So there will be no additional cost up to €150 (unless they handle import tax declarations themselves then it will be even cheaper).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just payed 1 cent VAT over a 3600 Yen lens. I guess someone at the post company doesn't know about international notation 3,600 is 3,6 yen from a Dutch perspective but 3600 from an international point of view. If it is even done by hand and not just scanned.