Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

So after the Brexit is done, guess buying in the UK has now import taxes on it,
that should be approx 25% for Germany (19% VAT + 6% on optics)??

Makes it quite less attractive, too bad, good sellers in the UK which I will miss... Sad

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, just one of the very many ways BREXIT is going to be far from a good thing in economic terms. It will work the other way too - Britons will have fees to pat on purchases from the EU.

I will say little though as... politics....

Maybe there is still some haggling and horse trading to be done between the bureaucrats to work out all the details of the trade situation, I honestly don't know, the British govt seems to be rather reluctant to make it clear just what all the financial implications of the deal they have worked out will actually be; this, among other reasons leads me to believe that the implications will not be good for the average person.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Makes it quite less attractive, too bad, good sellers in the UK which I will miss... Sad

Almost … you should be able to get the seller to remove the UK VAT for export purposes, so you only have to pay your local taxes.
Living in Jersey we've always been outside of the European VAT system, so we're quite used to dealing with this Wink
Not sure UK VAT is applicable on s/h goods, though (that's what I was told by the guy at LCE)
Well worth researching if you've an expensive purchase in mind!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Ceratinly the specific rule in your case will be different, but in principle we have a similar situation in Switzerland: Not being a member of the EU, I do not have to pay the German VAT when I have my stuff printed on the German side of Lake Constance (which means I get my stuff 19% cheaper than it would be charged for Germasn). Of course I have to pay the Swiss VAt (7.7%) plus some handling fees.

Should be the same in your case ?!?

S

PS that's, of course, one of the reasons why any of our votings on joining the EU has ended with roughly 80% "no" votings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Australia we're kind of annoyed with 10% GST, which was added onto all imports unilaterally in a night. So, I feel sorry for you Europeans with your 20+% VAT. That's just highway robbery, and in my opinion if a state relies on such a high tax to make ends meet, then it's a sign of failed (or corrupt) economic management. Goods and services taxes are at the end of the day, mainly a tax on the poorest of workers.

This will certainly kill a large portion of second-hand trade through online marketplaces. I know it would here at over 20%, if not for the fact that importing/shipping costs to Australia were already so high (more thanks to certain Evilbay policies than the postal companies, really). Taxes on low-value 2nd hand items (what are essentially, low-value collectables) will continue to baffle me, particularly as one of the justifications for GST on all imports was to encourage consumers back to local brick and mortar stores which are untenable in the long-term due to high rents anyway. Most of the old good quality gear was simply never imported here to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teemō wrote:
In Australia we're kind of annoyed with 10% GST, which was added onto all imports unilaterally in a night. So, I feel sorry for you Europeans with your 20+% VAT. That's just highway robbery, and in my opinion if a state relies on such a high tax to make ends meet, then it's a sign of failed (or corrupt) economic management. Goods and services taxes are at the end of the day, mainly a tax on the poorest of workers.

This will certainly kill a large portion of second-hand trade through online marketplaces. I know it would here at over 20%, if not for the fact that importing/shipping costs to Australia were already so high (more thanks to certain Evilbay policies than the postal companies, really). Taxes on low-value 2nd hand items (what are essentially, low-value collectables) will continue to baffle me, particularly as one of the justifications for GST on all imports was to encourage consumers back to local brick and mortar stores which are untenable in the long-term due to high rents anyway. Most of the old good quality gear was simply never imported here to begin with.

This is funny. My wife's AU brother in law complains about the 10* GST and on the expensive import prices for equipment. On the dpreview adapted lens forum I skip an AU member's texts as soon as I read 10% GST again.

Within the EU itself there is no VAT or another tax added on secondhand deals between sellers and buyers as long as there is no company involved in that deal. In some cases even companies that sell secondhand stuff use a "margin" kind of exception that does not quote the VAT and VAT can not de deducted by a company that buys these goods.. 450 million people in the EU, so quite a market to explore. That secondhand prices here are influenced by the prices for new goods that have the VAT included could be right but I doubt that it has much influence on vintage lens prices, other factors have way more influence on their individual prices. Imports from the USA are often still more expensive due to transport costs to the EU, while prices there are way lower. I have not done it lately but I think 6% import tax is added here when the goods price is above 25 Euro, often they slip through customs without that tax added. The same for Chinese products ordered on line. Add to that a sound Euro value.

Maybe the Brexit will bring back that glorious Anglosphere market of the past where the sun does not set and tax free commerce will span the oceans. My bet is that we will get more complaints about import taxes etc from UK members in the future than from EU members. Some doubts about the value of some overseas currencies added to that estimation. What is bad for everyone is the extra paperwork added. That comes with a price too.

So spare me your sorry .......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Netherlands it is like this:Up to € 22, no import duties and VAT are charged, from € 22 to € 150, free of import duties but with VAT. From € 150, - you always have to pay import duties and VAT. In most cases, the postal delivery services do not charge customs clearance costs if the order amount of the goods to be imported remains below € 22. When the seller uses the global shipping program the clearance costs are much lower and you pay clearance and international shipment directly to Pitney Bowes. I am still getting UK results when I search EU only on EBAY.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, eBay.co.uk still includes the UK in EU searches, that will surely change before too long I expect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I had another situation. I've sold a lens with a shipping to UK just before Christmas and couldn't ship it there due to the new type Covid restrictions: all post traffic to UK from Germany was stopped and it was not possible to purchase and print out the label. I've checked DHL every day with the same result up to 01.01.2021. Suddenly everything was fine again on 01.01.2021 but the usual EU-DHL parcel service was not available: no 500 EUR insurance, no cheap tracking ... So I've taken a simple registered mail and filled the custom's declaration. The lens arrived safely.

Another lens sold already in January on Ebay - the UK customer have paid additional Tax through PayPal which I've seen in transaction details. I think that buying and selling lenses to/from UK for me is over.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. Any idea when this is supposed to go into effect?

I've been saving up to buy some parts from a UK dealer for my old BMW motorcycle. Having to pay the VAT really adds a big kick to the price of the parts I need.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep waiting Michael, there should be trade negotiations between Biden and the British govt., or at least, that was the plan a few weeks ago, hopefully events of recent days haven't changed that.

You might recall that Biden, after becoming President Elect stated that the situation in Ireland concerned him and might be a problem when it came to sit down and talk trade deals - it is those trade deals I am talking about, hopefully they will take place and they can work out a good deal for both sides, otherwise, it's going to be more expensive and difficult to do any transactions and we will be using the WTO standards and tariffs for US-UK trade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

You might recall that Biden, after becoming President Elect stated that the situation in Ireland concerned him and might be a problem when it came to sit down and talk trade deals - it is those trade deals I am talking about, hopefully they will take place and they can work out a good deal for both sides, otherwise, it's going to be more expensive and difficult to do any transactions and we will be using the WTO standards and tariffs for US-UK trade.

Biden has no time for the UK. Ireland for the Irish and all that. One of his famous pictures is him with arms around Gerry Adams and the IRA fugitive Rita O'Hare. Taken only three years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Biden has no time for the UK. Ireland for the Irish and all that. One of his famous pictures is him with arms around Gerry Adams and the IRA fugitive Rita O'Hare. Taken only three years ago.

Please leave politics like that out of it.

Biden is infinitely preferable to Trump.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If you leave politics out of this forum then you'll not have to put up with being challenged.

As it happens my interest in politics, even UK, is negligible, but I'm familiar with Joe Biden. Trump was simply a consequence of Neoliberals regarding one of the most impoverished sections of American society as "a basket of deplorables" and their media backers gleefully cheering them on. Sometimes in life when that happens, it's more preferable to burn the edifice down than live under it. That's just nature. Trump saw the opportunity and went for it. The political funder decided to be the candidate. Now he's gone, and perhaps someone, somewhere will genuinely speak for those poor buggers. I remember Gary Younge tried to and did quite a good job from time to time, but he's not a politician, he's a journalist, and he's now in Britain, not the U.S.A. He was drowned out by the usual sea of hate that passes as moral indignation in journalistic politics, which is why I think he's changed tack in his career slightly from what I see. A shame as he was a rare thing. A political journalist who wanted to inform.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

[quote="kypfer"]
kds315* wrote:

Not sure UK VAT is applicable on s/h goods, though (that's what I was told by the guy at LCE)

A long time ago i was told that it is supposed to be at a lower rate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Sciolist wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

If you leave politics out of this forum then you'll not have to put up with being challenged.

As it happens my interest in politics, even UK, is negligible, but I'm familiar with Joe Biden. Trump was simply a consequence of Neoliberals regarding one of the most impoverished sections of American society as "a basket of deplorables" and their media backers gleefully cheering them on. Sometimes in life when that happens, it's more preferable to burn the edifice down than live under it. That's just nature. Trump saw the opportunity and went for it. The political funder decided to be the candidate. Now he's gone, and perhaps someone, somewhere will genuinely speak for those poor buggers. I remember Gary Younge tried to and did quite a good job from time to time, but he's not a politician, he's a journalist, and he's now in Britain, not the U.S.A. He was drowned out by the usual sea of hate that passes as moral indignation in journalistic politics, which is why I think he's changed tack in his career slightly from what I see. A shame as he was a rare thing. A political journalist who wanted to inform.

Ok, so you have no regard for the rules of the forum (i.e. no politics) and showed that you haven't got a clue about Trump.

At least I know to ignore you in future.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess all UK sales are now plus VAT Reply with quote

[quote="e6filmuser"]
kypfer wrote:
kds315* wrote:

A long time ago i was told that it is supposed to be at a lower rate.

I doubt that has already been discussed and written down somewhere in the 2000 pages of the Brexit agreement..

For the Netherlands an incidental purchase from a private person in for example the USA, could be free of VAT and import tax when the value is less than 45 Euro. If above 700 Euro the normal VAT + import tax + clearing costs are applied (some differences in the %% on books and other goods). In between the mentioned sums there are lower %% used. I see lower rates for collectibles like art too. A fine tuned description on the package label might help more than discussing the value with customs afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

At least I know to ignore you in future.

I think you can actually put me on 'ignore', Ian. Something like that. Let me know if you can't find it, and I'll try and find it for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Sciolist ...

Apologies, Blazer0ne. You're quite right.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already said this wasn't the place to discuss politics in my first post.

I just hope there will be improvements in the trade situations with the US & EU, which I think everyone supports, regardless of the politics behind it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the tax protocol was defined a bit beforehand the final act. Here is on of the questions brought by EU FAQ and directly related to the topic:

"I want to import a second hand car from the UK after 1 January 2021. Will I have to undergo customs clearance and pay taxes?

Goods imported directly from Northern Ireland will not be subject to taxes and customs formalities, in line with the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland. Goods imported into the EU from GB after 1 January 2021 will be subject to VAT and customs formalities, like goods imported from any other third country. These formalities apply whether or not the goods are second hand".

Here is some more info illustrating the import of second hand cars.

So the question is when trading platforms and national customs start thoroughly applying the new regulation?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
It seems that the tax protocol was defined a bit beforehand the final act. Here is on of the questions brought by EU FAQ and directly related to the topic:

"I want to import a second hand car from the UK after 1 January 2021. Will I have to undergo customs clearance and pay taxes?

Goods imported directly from Northern Ireland will not be subject to taxes and customs formalities, in line with the Protocol on Ireland and Northern Ireland. Goods imported into the EU from GB after 1 January 2021 will be subject to VAT and customs formalities, like goods imported from any other third country. These formalities apply whether or not the goods are second hand".

Here is some more info illustrating the import of second hand cars.

So the question is when trading platforms and national customs start thoroughly applying the new regulation?

I wonder if this will be an opportunity for some enterprising people in N Ireland to become 'brokers' between the EU and the UK ? Question Question