Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Graphic Raptar Wollensak 161mm f/4.5..Enlarger Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Graphic Raptar Wollensak 161mm f/4.5..Enlarger Lens Reply with quote

About 2 weeks back, picked one enlarger lens from a local camera shop. Paid $10 for this large piece of glass, Graphic Raptar Wollensak 161mm f/4.5.

The back thread of lens had big diameter, much bigger than 42mm. I had one broken Nikon lens, with no glass element, with front diameter of 52mm. This enlarger lens (seems like) has 50/51mm thread. I put some dark cloth for padding.. and done.. Now I have, Nikon mount Graphic Raptar Wollensak 161mm f/4.5 enlarger lens.
Finally, I had this set up,

Canon DSLR 350D -> EOS-M42 adapter -> M42 Bellows -> M42-Nikon Adapter -> Nikon mount Enlarger lens.

To got to 1:1 macro set up, I can use the M42 extension tube too...

These are some results,

For portrait,

Some macro,

The lens flares badly in harsh sunny condition... and soft wide open.. not blurry... I think best is to use around f5.6-f8... But for macro usually go for around f11 to get reasonable DoF.

You can check the whole series here,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/asbalyan/sets/72157600560285378/

some more macro shots...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality seems excellent!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu, my friend, you are crazy! But you are a crazy genious! Wink
Fantastic results! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wow! Especially the eye!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read somewhere that a person with scientific tools made a test and an enlarger lens of I can't remember which brand outperformed both the Leica and Zeiss lenses of its same focal lenght.

My guess is that the fact that you don't have to mess with things like flare control, large focusing distances optimization, multicoating etc. allows the buildes to make hgiher quality tools for enlarging photographs.

Anyone more expert than me to offer their different and more plausible guess?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone..
And yes Carl.. My wife also says same words... seems like, some truth.. Twisted Evil Smile Very Happy

Orio... If you find that article, that will be good... We can keep that link in our link section...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

And yes Carl.. My wife also says same words... seems like, some truth.. Twisted Evil Smile Very Happy

You're lucky: my girlfriend just thinks I'm a loon. Razz Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Ballu wrote:

You're lucky: my girlfriend just thinks I'm a loon. Razz Shocked

I will send my lens set up picture with detailed design diagrams... I am sure, she will change her views.. or she will reach to conclusion.. "all ended up in one virtual room... " Laughing