Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus ? Not a problem !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Fungus ? Not a problem ! Reply with quote

I should surprize some of you Wink
Look at these pictures, don't care about subjects, either the wb (jpeg right from a Pentax camera, interior, 800 isos), but pay attention to the quality of the lens :

Used lens ? Sensitives personnes should not look :

S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 V2, at f/2.5
Rear element is crappy, I wasnt able to show entirely the stage of devastation of the lens. So people who flee when they see a wire of fungus make me laugh Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing! Most people are too picky about lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree, as a general statement, but your pictures _do_ show the signs of problems, at least to a clinical eye (flare-low contrast-softness of focused detail), even at the small size you published them.
Maybe they can look ok for casual or non expert viewer.
At a more normal size such as 1024px problems will be even more evident.
Having that said, it's true that a single thread of fungus is not going to kill the lens performance. However if it's not treated it might -and under certain circumstances, will- evolve into a potentially lethal infection for your lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing I wanted to show is that even a big spot in center of the lens can't be seen on pictures. I agree with the flare and low contrast, but in reasonable values, it can be corrected in PS. I think we don't lose too much sharpness, you can see full pics by clicking on miniatures. I'll do more tests later.
But for fungus evolution, I disagree with you. I'm used to have fungus on some lenses at home, I never had an evolution, neither contamination. The thing is to store the lenses in good condition. Put a strongly fungused lens among clean lenses, with UV lamps always on, you'll see nothing. Put a new lens in a very wet place, without any light, I bet you'll get fungus in less than 15 days Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked when you click on it and get the enlarged photo...interesting splashes on the front element!
I have a kiron with a fungus garden I might just see what happens when I use it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

But for fungus evolution, I disagree with you. I'm used to have fungus on some lenses at home, I never had an evolution, neither contamination. The thing is to store the lenses in good condition.

I consider storing lenses in a dry luminous place a part of the treatment.

However, even if kept in dry luminous environment, existing fungus _will_ finally make it to take over your lens. Maybe not in your lifetime, maybe not in your children's lifetime. But if not removed, it eventually will.

For those who have fungused lenses, store them in a separate place from the healthy lenses. Spores will migrate if you don't.
Also remember, that cameras are perfect infection media. Mount a fungused lens, use it, dismount it, mount a healthy lens, use it, most chances are that spores made it to the healthy lens.
Another good reason to treat your fungused lenses even if fungus does not affect the IQ yet.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very correct Orio, this is why Zeiss Service even refuses to accept an fungused lens to even look at it!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what carbon want to say, and I agree in general terms, but the examples (specially the second picture) perhaps not the best for that.

With the light at the front, the defects of any lens will be clearly exposed. So, the flare and his secundary effects will emerge.

I own a flektogon 4/20 with the front element with little fungus at the border and a lot of clean marks (really a lot) and I'm very satisfied with his rendering. Of course : 1- I not compare the image taken with he with another taken with other 4/20 in better condition, and then I don't know if any difference among them; 2- I not use the 4/20 under problematic situations (front light, near white walls or overcast day, etc) 'cos the lens is SC not MC and not for the fungus or the marks.

Rino.