Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fujita 35/2.5 preset - an uncommon lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Fujita 35/2.5 preset - an uncommon lens Reply with quote

Fujita was a small and obscure optical manufacturer, probably best known (if thats the right word) for making the lenses (labelled Fujita or Kaligar) supplied with the Kalimar camera, the first Japanese medium format SLR.

Fujita also made lenses for 35mm, though these are scarce and hard to find. Some were sold under distributors brands, like Hanimex/Hanimar. I have a tiny 135/4.5 Fujita in a US camera store brand. But this one is marked Fujita -

I guess it dates to the late 1950's-early 1960's. Its got the distinctive "zebra" style of the period. The preset mechanism uses a button release to set the aperture, common in earlier lenses, which makes me want to date this one in the 1950's. It seems to be of all brass construction, not aluminum, which seems to be a characteristic of Fujitas, and it is very well made and finished, with all mechanical movements silky smooth. Its a solid little thing.

Like many of these tiny preset wide-angles, the focus and aperture rings are easy to confuse, so the ergonomics aren't very good. Also typical of its age, its close focus is only to 1.5'/1/2m, which on this focal length is not particularly close, which limits its versatility.

Its performance is rather mediocre. It is certainly not comparable in sharpness to my Takumar 35/3.5 at any aperture, and it tends to flare a lot, which perhaps could be used to good artistic effect. Contrast is quite good though.

An odd vehicle to find parked in downtown San Francisco ! Its a British WWII scout car -

I found a braver than usual bird, willing to let me come up to 3ft/1m

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool lens and super shots
I don't usually have an affinity for shots of vehicles but those first two pics are pretty cool.
Do you know why the "scout car" was in town?

This lens is for small format yes?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy !

Yes, this one is M42. I've seen the Fujita 135 in Canon FD (actually Canonflex in those days) also.

Its actually much easier to find the ones for the Kalimar 6x6. Rick Oleson says the 52mm Fujita was the first medium format wide-angle retrofocus lens, so that one became a "cult" lens for Hasselblad types, as there were Kalimar->Hasselblad adapters.

The scout car is I believe a WWII Daimler "Dingo". It was parked in front of a B&B hotel, I have no idea why.

The streetcar is one of the City's collection of streetcars, they pick up cars from around the world and run them on the Market Street and Embarcadero lines.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what I see from this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I'm reviving your old thread. I just bought a Fujita made 35 2.5 under the Fujitar name.
I notice a couple differences. The major one being mine is only marked Feet. Mine is not marked in Meters also.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's a Daimler Dingo, probably a post-war one, I notice it has a UK private number plate.

That tram in the first pic is also British, it comes from Blackpool and is painted in the original Blackpool colours. I have ridden in one of those in Blackpool many times.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Luis, I'm reviving your old thread. I just bought a Fujita made 35 2.5 under the Fujitar name.
I notice a couple differences. The major one being mine is only marked Feet. Mine is not marked in Meters also.

I have a tamron twin-tele 135mm f4.5 which is just marked in feet and not meters. This forum informed me that this was a sign of an early version. Perhaps this is true for your lens?