Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji x lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Fuji x lenses Reply with quote

I understand from a bit of research that fuji designated 2 series of lenses as X mount, the newer digital and an older SLR 35mm type.
The newer ones seem to be for a crop sensor of some type? The reason I ask is I have recently purchased the Sony a7ii and am looking to expand my collection of vintage glass (without breaking the bank and making the wifey too mad). I know minolta and konica are rated well, and I have some fuji EBC in m42 that perform well, but was wondering about the later fuji glass from the film era. Any help is greatly appreciated and any corrction of my understanding as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are two Fuji X-mounts, the old X-Fujinon mount for film cameras and the current Fujifilm X-mount for their APS-C digital bodies.
You need an adapter to use the Film AX mount lenses on the Fujifilm X-mount digital camera bodies.
There is also a range of M42 Fujinons that have a tab on the lens back. Many people who want to use these on digital only, simply file the tab off so that they will fit with M42 adapters.
Fujinon film camera lenses are, by and large excellent, with few poor performers and some stellar lenses - going by their reputation.
Their current line of prime lenses for their digital body range is also excellent - outstanding in most cases.
I am longing for a 1.2/56 but I don't think that I will ever be able to justify/afford one haha
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuji x lenses Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
but was wondering about the later fuji glass from the film era.

some of them are great (3.5/135 EBC)... some just ok (1.9/50). Most old xFujinon are normaly cheap so you can try for yourself without loosing money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love the 28/1.9, great rendering IMO. the 50 /3.5 Macro is as you'd expect for a macro from a good company, I'm looking at the 100/2.8 next.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes.. the EBC xFujinon 1.9/28 is a very nice lens... normaly not cheap to get but worth every penny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5/28 is no slouch either. I also really like the 1.6/50 and 1.6/55, the 1.9/50 and 2.2/55 are substandard though.

3.5/28 on NEX-3:

1.6/50 on NEX-3:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
The 3.5/28 is no slouch either. I also really like the 1.6/50 and 1.6/55, the 1.9/50 and 2.2/55 are substandard though.

3.5/28 on NEX-3:

1.6/50 on NEX-3:

Nice shots- I really like the rendering.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I really love the 28/1.9, great rendering IMO. the 50 /3.5 Macro is as you'd expect for a macro from a good company, I'm looking at the 100/2.8 next.

Hello! Coincidentally I stumbled upon a 28/1.9 in a local camera shop a couple of days ago but I wasn't able to find a whole lot of information on it online but I came across the images you took from the lens on this site as well as flickr and I have to say they (along with the rest of your gallery) were very very impressive. I wanted to ask if you, or anyone else here, have any idea about the market value of this lens. Also which adapter do you use with it? Thanks in advance Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adapter for which camera?

About the price... I got mine some years ago for arround $200 but wouldn't let it go for this Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:
adapter for which camera?

About the price... I got mine some years ago for arround $200 but wouldn't let it go for this Wink

Thanks for the reply Smile Now about the adapter I recently bought a em10 so will be looking for an adapter for it. The only ones I've managed to find are kiwifotos,roxsen and fotodiox but fotodiox is a little too expensive. I haven't been able to test the lens in question because I don't have the adapter yet but optics look clear, aperture is nice and snappy and the barrel has very few signs of wear. However there is some damage to the filter ring, which looks like it has been straightened later. Any ideas as to how much this could roughly fetch on fleabay?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Kiwi adapter in the past and now use a Fotodiox Pro. The Kiwi was ok, the Fotodiox fits and feels better. But those are for Sony E-Mount, no idea if it's the with for m43

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This adapter should be good enough:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Fujica-X-old-Fuji-AX-mount-lens-to-Micro-4-3-M43-adapter-E-PL7-P5-OM-D-GX7-GF6-/181531718779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4422347b

I had never any complaints with adapters from Roxsen and I have several different ones from them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Fujica-X-old-Fuji-AX-mount-lens-to-Micro-4-3-M43-adapter-E-PL7-P5-OM-D-GX7-GF6-/181531718779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4422347b

I had never any complaints with adapters from Roxsen and I have several different ones from them.

I think I'll be going for the Roxsen, since a uk seller has it for not much more with alot faster shipping. Thanks for the advice guys Smile Still clueless about what should be the value of this lens, somebody's got to know right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_ali98 wrote:
tb_a wrote:

I think I'll be going for the Roxsen, since a uk seller has it for not much more with alot faster shipping. Thanks for the advice guys Smile Still clueless about what should be the value of this lens, somebody's got to know right?

The value is hard to estimate as the prices of old lenses are dictated nowadays only by demand and not by quality. The picture totally changed since the introduction of mirrorless cameras and especially since the Sony A7 was available as almost all of the old lenses are now usable on digital again. Generally speaking almost all old lenses are heavily overpriced today due to the high demand; i.e. lenses which have been available for lets say 10 Euro some years ago are now offered for 100 Euro or even more. E.g. cheap GDR Zeiss lenses have been offered for a maximum of 5 Euros and are sold today for several hundred Euro. An additional reason is that good quality prime lenses from the camera manufacturers are extremely expensive nowadays. Look at the insane prices for new Sony prime lenses for the A7. That's why people are more prepared to pay rather high prices even for old stuff. Some years ago nobody would have bought any of the old Fujica AX lenses. Not even for 2 Euros (at least in my country).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
E.g. cheap GDR Zeiss lenses have been offered for a maximum of 5 Euros and are sold today for several hundred Euro.

Why do you insist on repeating this nonsense?

Why do you have such a negative attitude to Zeiss Jena?

You might have a negative opinion, but it is only an opinion, stop trying to spread it as fact.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
E.g. cheap GDR Zeiss lenses have been offered for a maximum of 5 Euros and are sold today for several hundred Euro.

Why do you insist on repeating this nonsense?

Why do you have such a negative attitude to Zeiss Jena?

You might have a negative opinion, but it is only an opinion, stop trying to spread it as fact.

What's your problem?

It is a matter of fact that some years ago you have been able to buy such lenses for a price per kilo in Austria and even then nearly nobody was interested. I missed a good opportunity to become a very rich men. Bad luck.

I already reported several times that I had a rather bad experience with such lenses due to mechanical problems and lack of repair facilities and admit that others are very happy to use them. Everybody is free to use whatever one likes. I never said that you can't make nice pictures with such lenses. Rather the opposite. There are really some nice ones in existence.

So in essence I am not telling fairy tales or nonsense but the very truth from my personal experience.

You should rather accept that different people have different experiences. In my environment in Austria those products have rather been seen as the synonym for low quality. Like it or not. Your country may be different. I don't know.

Nevertheless, it would be very kind if you would stop attacking me just because I have other opinions and experiences than you.

Actually you never answered any questions about the source of information if you stated something totally weird. I always do that or admit that I was wrong. So you should rather improve your culture of debate and don't blame others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several hundred Euro?

In my home country prices are ~30 EUR for Pentacon 50/1.8 or Tessars 50/2.8 which are really common. Pancolars 50/2 or 1.8 go for ~45 EUR; CZJ 135s go for around 50 EUR; Flektogon 35/2.4 ~80 EUR; etc.

So your "several hundred" figure applies only on relative rare stuff like Pancolar 80/1.8, Biotar 70/1.5 or Flektogon 20/2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
Several hundred Euro?

In my home country prices are ~30 EUR for Pentacon 50/1.8 or Tessars 50/2.8 which are really common. Pancolars 50/2 or 1.8 go for ~45 EUR; CZJ 135s go for around 50 EUR; Flektogon 35/2.4 ~80 EUR; etc.

So your "several hundred" figure applies only on relative rare stuff like Pancolar 80/1.8, Biotar 70/1.5 or Flektogon 20/2.8.

I was referring to Ebay prices and don't know where you are living.
In some former eastern European countries you can still find those lenses on flea markets for almost nothing. In Austria on flea markets it is already difficult as Ebay ruined the prices. In second hand stores in Austria the lenses are still cheaper than on Ebay. However, I didn't make a detailed study on the different variations or types of lenses as I am not interested anyway. Take it as from to price depending on type.

Example for a offer for a "80 Euro" Flektogon 35/2.4 for almost 300 Euros on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-FLEKTOGON-MC-35-35mm-f2-4-M42-5d-6d-7d-d810-A7R-NEX-GH4-G6-/371319350404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56745ba484

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_ali98 wrote:
Still clueless about what should be the value of this lens, somebody's got to know right?

no clue what value this lens has... but last one I saw at ebay sold for $399,00

Click here to see on Ebay

Was this cheap.. or overpriced? I really don't know... this 1.9/28 never was a cheap lens and it's pretty rare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tedat wrote:

Was this cheap.. or overpriced? I really don't know... this 1.9/28 never was a cheap lens and it's pretty rare

This is certainly right. The F2.8 and F3.5 versions have been the cheap ones. Very fast lenses used to be never really cheap.
The question is if for almost $ 400 the Voigtlaender wouldn't be a better alternative:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-Ultron-28-mm-F-1-9-Aspherical-MF-Lens-For-Leica-Screw-Mount-/121682500616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54d79c08
I have this Voigtlaender lens and can certainly recommend it, also on MFT. However, I have no clue how it compares to the Fujinon but could imagine that it might be superior as it is the more modern lens. It may also fit a little bit better on the M43 camera as it is overall smaller and even 20 gr. lighter than the Fujinon, though it's a full "heavy metal" construction and very solid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Example for a offer for a "80 Euro" Flektogon 35/2.4 for almost 300 Euros on Ebay

Of course 300 EUR for a Flek. "Buy it now" doesn't reflect the reality. I might ask 10000 EUR for mine Flektogon 35/2.4 (cost me 55 EUR) - would anybody buy it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
tb_a wrote:
Example for a offer for a "80 Euro" Flektogon 35/2.4 for almost 300 Euros on Ebay

Of course 300 EUR for a Flek. "Buy it now" doesn't reflect the reality. I might ask 10000 EUR for mine Flektogon 35/2.4 (cost me 55 EUR) - would anybody buy it?

Please watch this: http://www.leicashop.com/vintage_de/carl-zeiss-jena-f-m42-35-2-4-flektogon-sku24989-23.html

What's your argument now?

BTW, where are you living? I really want to know the country where they are selling those lenses for 80 Euros.
Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
BTW, where are you living? I really want to know the country where they are selling those lenses for 80 Euros.
Thank you in advance.

Currently not far from you - Czech.

Of course you can't browse in shops branded LEICA, like the one you posted Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
tb_a wrote:
Thank you in advance.

Currently not far from you - Czech.

Of course you can't browse in shops branded LEICA, like the one you posted Very Happy

Well, the Leicashop in Vienna isn't that expensive compared to other shops in Austria. I have rather good experiences with them too and bought some good priced items from other manufacturers such as Pentax or Minolta there. Also my used Leica lenses are from this shop.

I know that in Czech Republic, Hungary and similar priced states even within the EU there are still high differences in prices. Most probably in Bulgaria and Romania the prices are even lower than in your country and there are still plenty of such lenses available.
The price for a beer in Austria is more than double than in your country for example. The average income of the people is still very different too.
However, you may probably know also that some years ago the prices for those lenses have been close to zero; especially in your country before you got rid of the communistic regime and joined the EU. At least from the Austrian average income perspective. That's all I wanted to say.

In the old times I used to have an Opemus enlarger and went to the former CSSR for accessories. The fuel was more expensive than everything I bought, though the exchange rate was very prohibitive for tourists from the west. That was an unforgettable excursion for me. Wink
Luckily that's history anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Tedat wrote:

This is certainly right. The F2.8 and F3.5 versions have been the cheap ones. Very fast lenses used to be never really cheap.
The question is if for almost $ 400 the Voigtlaender wouldn't be a better alternative:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander-Ultron-28-mm-F-1-9-Aspherical-MF-Lens-For-Leica-Screw-Mount-/121682500616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54d79c08
I have this Voigtlaender lens and can certainly recommend it, also on MFT. However, I have no clue how it compares to the Fujinon but could imagine that it might be superior as it is the more modern lens. It may also fit a little bit better on the M43 camera as it is overall smaller and even 20 gr. lighter than the Fujinon, though it's a full "heavy metal" construction and very solid.

The 28/1.9 is a very good quality lens, one of my top 28's, has a nice smooth bokeh for a WA lens, it's focus throw is somewhat short.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/xfujinonswebc2819/