Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FS: Pentax SMC 3.5 15mm wide angle
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: FS: Pentax SMC 3.5 15mm wide angle Reply with quote

Excellent condition (lens), just front caps has some scruffs.
Also comes with Pentax leather box (but not from that lens)
which fits perfectly (67 box)

Could be used with PK-EOS adaptor ring on EOS!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a K-mount or an M42? (i cant tell by the looks)
How much for it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a lens! But far beyond my present financial scale. Sad
I will show you why later. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by the way, are you a medical doctor?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've red that it's one of the first K mount lenses and has two versions with a total of 900 productions so it's precious I guess. Too bad that it's much more than my current lens budget.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
And by the way, are you a medical doctor?

Nope, Phd in Electrical Engineering - as a medical doctor I could afford much more lenses.... Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throndor wrote:
Is that a K-mount or an M42? (i cant tell by the looks)
How much for it?

Throndor, we have to seriously work on your lens knowledge if you can't differentiate a bajonet mount from a thread mount Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is sth on the optics done by my friend Marco:
http://www.luciolepri.it/lc2/marcocavina/articoli_fotografici/15mm_Zeiss_Pentax/00_pag.htm which shows how close the Pentax and the Zeiss 15mm are.

Here a few test shots I found against a modern Sigma 10-22mm lens:

I'm very impressed with the Pentax SMC 15mm! Maybe I better keep it...??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klaus,

I'm unfortunately not interested in your pentax lens, but I wanted to comment on the performance of your Sigma, which is very below average in my opinion. I have the same lens and get much better sharpness at F/8, have you maybe considered that your copy squeezed through the cracks of QC?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

as I had mentioned in the text, I "have found" these images and had allowed myself to copy/paste them here.

I only have the Canon 10-22mm, not the Sigma, so I cannot comment on that one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3.5/15mm is RESERVED for the time being!

Last edited by kds315* on Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
The Takumar 3.5/15mm is RESERVED for the time being!

Mmm... This lens is not a Takumar so the lens in the first post is still available?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
kds315* wrote:
The Takumar 3.5/15mm is RESERVED for the time being!

Mmm... This lens is not a Takumar so the lens in the first post is still available?

I AM PUTTING THE SAME QUESTION --- thanks

tf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is 800-1000 USD..for PENTAX ASPH..

tf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct its not a Takumar, its an original pentax K series.

Quote:

the lens isnt quite that rare, I think that price is a bit high. I have never seen a good copy go for more than 600 USD. not to say one couldn't charge that much though, but I wouldn't buy it that that price.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct its not a Takumar, its an original pentax K series (second non AL version).

Quote:

the lens isnt quite that rare, I think that price is a bit high.

this lens was manufactured in both K and KA mount. the K had two versions, the earlier SMC PENTAX 1:3.5/15 with aspherical element (produced in 1975 only. about 100 were manufactured with AL element) then the optical formula was changed, and did away with the AL element. these lenses were labed: smc PENTAX 1:3.5 15mm. counting both versions of the K you had a production run from 1975 to 1984.

the KA mount lens was identical to the latter K, with the added AE contacts, its labeled: smc PENTAX-A 1:3.5 15mm. this lens was produced from 1984 to 2004.

there is a Takumar m42 version of this lens, for which its believed about 900 were produced, 400 with AL element.

I have never seen a good copy of the K series go for more than 600 USD. the KA version despite having quite a long production run tends to go for more, due to its ability to be used in AE modes on pentax digital bodies. I'm not going to say one couldn't charge that much, but I wouldn't buy it that that price.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Séamuis wrote:
correct its not a Takumar, its an original pentax K series.

Quote:

the lens isnt quite that rare, I think that price is a bit high. I have never seen a good copy go for more than 600 USD. not to say one couldn't charge that much though, but I wouldn't buy it that that price.

great post -- thanks ...

tf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found sth interesting about that lens from Dario Bonazza, italian Pentax "guru":
<<quote>>
At 1972 edition of Photokina a couple of ultra-wide-angle lenses were introduced contemporarily by both Carl Zeiss and Asahi Optical Co: the HFT Distagon f/3.5 15mm in Rollei bayonet mount for Rolleiflex SL35 and the SMC Takumar f/3.5 15mm in Pentax M42 screw-in mount. Both lenses featured 12-group 13-element construction and a minimum focusing distance of 0.3m. The Carl Zeiss lens followed the unlucky fate of Rollei cameras and was discontinued soon after to be resumed a few years later for the Contax RTS as the Carl Zeiss Distagon f/3.5 15mm, then it was also added to the Leica SLR outfit as the Leitz Super- Elmar-R. This late Zeiss design has the minimum focusing distance reduced to 0.16m. The SMC Takumar was not on sale immediatly and was available only from 1974 edition of Photokina on. Its price in Japan was one-third that of the Distagon and half that of the existing Nikkor f/5.6 15mm, while in Italy difference was even greater. Although of very sturdy construction it was much lighter than its competitors. It was and it is a superb lens of retro-focus design, thus allowing normal swing-up operation of the mirror. Its sophisticated design featuring an aspherical glass element (darker lens in the diagram left) corrects perfectly both distortion and coma. The distortion-free super-wide-angle field allows shooting indoors, architecture, exaggeration of perspective for creative shots, special effects and scientific photography. In 1975 with the introduction of the K series cameras it became the SMC Pentax f/3.5 15mm, then in 1984 following the development of Pentax cameras it offered shutter priority and program operation, becoming the SMC Pentax-A f/3.5 15mm lens, still on Pentax price list today. The major difference between Zeiss and Asahi designs is the German lens doesn't feature an aspherical element as the Japanese does: does this mean the SMC Takumar or Pentax beats the Distagon? Who knows? A comparative test should be necessary to state this; for certain this ultra-wide-angle from AOC is a really excellent performer, being in awe of no competitor. Framing the world via the SMC Takumar or Pentax 15mm is an experience very different from a fish-eye: you'll be amazed by those perfectly straight lines - at edges too - at first glance, then you'll realize it is one of the few true masterpieces in optics and you'll fall in love with this marvel, it happened to me. If you need or like ultra-wide-angle perspective look for this lens in the secondhand market, it's really worth its price and you'll never repent.
<<unquote>>