Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Football pitch - The "Under 16s"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Football pitch - The "Under 16s" Reply with quote

Hi!

Three of my year 10 students play youth football in quite a high league (Hessenliga, "Hessen" is one of the federal states). They play against cities like Frankfurt, Wiesbaden and so on...

I have promised them to come and watch them play and today I had to chance to do so.

This was the first time I was shooting a sport event. And I used my Tamron SP 60-300 for that, mostly at f5.6 (sometimes fCool and 300mm. Wink

Focussing was not easy at all, but it worked better than I expected.
Here are some shots:

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3335/3559956122_e4bdc14371_o.jpg
[/img]

Despite the very hot weather (more than 30°C !) it was a great game and "my boys" played well, but their opponents were also very good. The result was 1:1.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good ones there Carsten!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I especially like #4,8 and 14. It´s hard to stay in focus during events like these, when you must use larger apertures to keep the exposure short. Can you estimate, how many shots were misfocused?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all except the ones that I lost the ball. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I had about 40% really well focused shots, 40% with just acceptable focus accuracy (like in #6) and 20% completely out of focus.

BTW, I forgot to put an AF-confirm adapter on the lens, thus I only could focus by using the matte screen. Embarassed

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the most difficult task to shoot sports with mf.

That's why proffesionals shoot using "white" lenses and lately some special "blacks".

Your score is perfect for the difficulty level [top 10% - gaussian distribution Cool ] Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shooting sports with MF is not an easy task as the subjects are always on the move but you got some really good ones Wink

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Carsten - that is an amazing number of keepers for MF with such a long lens. #9 looks more like a rugby match!

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnet-2009 wrote:
It's the most difficult task to shoot sports with mf.

Oh, I don't agree with this. I have always had a higher percentage of throwaways with AF.
Maybe it's because of the hardware I used but I always found AF to be too slow to accurately track fast moving athletes.
On the contrary, using MF and prefocusing technique, I get the highest numbers of keepers.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "agree" Orio. There are sports that the prefocusing with mf is better. These are the sports that the movement of the athletes is predictable for example bicycle race, boxing, running etc......

In sports that the prediction is not easy [ the sports with this rounded item and king of the bets Very Happy ], there are much more difficulties.

You have to frame the action, the ball in the frame, predict the right time and compute your mirror lag [when you use old body].

Anyway, I am not expert. I've only shot basket games of my son's team using AF. I' ve shot fast trains with mf, the result was perfect but the movement 1000% predictable.