Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Foma support campaign
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which "second shop" ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for confusing, first shop what I use mainly told me no more Foma, due they can't afford 5000 EUR investment to one film. Today I did visit another shop what is still sell film , (second shop) they said 5000 EUR is simple too much so no more Foma just Ilford and Rollei Sad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now I understand. well, that is pity. seems that Foma is concentrating on richer western market, as I cannot imagine another reason.

however if you can spend more money at once, it is always cheaper to make a big buy and then you don't mind shipping costs from abroad.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
now I understand. well, that is pity. seems that Foma is concentrating on richer western market, as I cannot imagine another reason.

however if you can spend more money at once, it is always cheaper to make a big buy and then you don't mind shipping costs from abroad.

yes that is works, but pretty sad how put off many people to use film.

remind me how some company went to bakcrupcy management paid by competitors Laughing I see no point to not serve smaller orders.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
remind me how some company went to bakcrupcy management paid by competitors Laughing I see no point to not serve smaller orders.
well, Foma is nowhere near bankrupcy and their business is much wider than just photographic materials.

also I don't think they can't serve small orders - probably they offer wholesale prices only for orders at 5000€ and higher, and that is reason why your reseller ceased selling Foma material. if he was buying stock for normal market price, he couldn't make profit, thus I can see no point in selling Foma material anymore. on the other side, Foma company probably doesn't suffer from this loss - there are many other shops which sell their material.

EDIT Smile and my last idea - I don't think that 5000€ order is too big for a photographic shop, if they're able to sell it through one or two years. Just count your yearly spendings on film (+chemicals, papers) - I bet it would be at least 50€, maybe 100€ (or few hundred as me...). Also I believe there are at least hundreds of people shooting on film in your country and not too many shops selling film (+chemicals, papers). My point is, why is it such a problem to place a 5000€ order? Either those photographers buy their Foma film elsewhere (maybe online?), or they simply doesn't buy Foma because of their preference of other materials. Simple answer Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
Attila wrote:
well, Foma is nowhere near bankrupcy and their business is much wider than just photographic materials.

also I don't think they can't serve small orders - probably they offer wholesale prices only for orders at 5000€ and higher, and that is reason why your reseller ceased selling Foma material. if he was buying stock for normal market price, he couldn't make profit, thus I can see no point in selling Foma material anymore. on the other side, Foma company probably doesn't suffer from this loss - there are many other shops which sell their material.

EDIT Smile and my last idea - I don't think that 5000€ order is too big for a photographic shop, if they're able to sell it through one or two years. Just count your yearly spendings on film (+chemicals, papers) - I bet it would be at least 50€, maybe 100€ (or few hundred as me...). Also I believe there are at least hundreds of people shooting on film in your country and not too many shops selling film (+chemicals, papers). My point is, why is it such a problem to place a 5000€ order? Either those photographers buy their Foma film elsewhere (maybe online?), or they simply doesn't buy Foma because of their preference of other materials. Simple answer Smile

I've used Foma films now from december 2012 (about 6 months now) and quick look to my account tells that I've already spend 405EUR to those my orders Very Happy so I think that 5000EUR ordering really isn't very big deal (or risk) for any dealer. Very Happy

I've been talking with one exellent local shop Telefoto http://www.telefoto.fi/ for taking Foma products also to their shop. Few days ago I got email from them saying that they have already been in contact to Foma, but I don't know yet how their negotiations have progressed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another foma support Smile...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! New webshop has just opened at Finland and there's also Foma products. Very Happy
http://kauppa.bittifoto.com/ (only in finnish Sad )
I've already done my first Foma film order from there. Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw it, at my local shop Foma cost the same as Ilford. Looking at www.f64.ro, where most local shops in Romania get their photographic gear, I guess this is now true for the entire country.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick bit of support. I tried Variant III velvet last fall and I think it's the best paper I've ever used. I am absolutely enamored with the tones and appearance. It worked very well with the high-grain Kodak 5222 Double-X and neutralized the film's graininess nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still supporting...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Arista brand is Foma, then I am supporting them through Freestyle. I find it interesting that Arista sells for less than Foma at Freestyle. I don't know if the two films are the same emulsion.

Maybe I will order 5 rolls ISO 400 of each to see if I can see any difference. If anyone has done a similar comparison, I would appreciate some feedback. I probably would not get around to doing that until January at the earliest.

I also wonder if Ultrafine film is Foma too.

I need to get out for more shooting.

Phil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Rumor is that Ultra Fine is also Foma. It certainly has the same characteristics, but Ultra Fine has never publicly confirmed their film source. UF is even cheaper than Arista. My guess is that the Foma which misses some element of specification but is still fine for use is rebranded, but that's conjecture on my part.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, B&W in stock here at my house I have Kodak, Ilford, Ultrafine and Arista. I am planning to cut the list down to one film, probably Arista. I have not decided yet.

Thanks for the info.

Phil

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a small support action too. Bought a role of iso 200 at the Berlin mauerpark. Some dude had alot of used manual stuff and also some fomapan rolls. Awesome nice guy. First time fomapan for me. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old topic but what is situation now 2021?