Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

first walk with Samyang 14:2.8 on 5DII
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: first walk with Samyang 14:2.8 on 5DII Reply with quote

my first Samyang (walimex), I didn't had any superwide and I made my decision when I found it for 250 euros
I used a profile to remove distortion, not that distortion disturb me but it is so easy to push a button
edit: #5 is not distortion corrected, I actually preferred the uncorrected version
14mm on full frame 5DII is super wide and can bring some surprise, did you find something strange in the first pic

big foot

a nice fiat, I made pano with it but I didn't glue them yet

bokeh

palace of rhodes, lot of photographer there

14mm is really needed for those big rooms

Last edited by poilu on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from distortions, the results seem very good!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, good results with this lens. At least better than my samples with the Walimex 1.4/85 (which I bought after your tip at Amazon) and the D800. Returned the lens today. Not the right one for the D800 Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I found 3 profiles but only one worked with camera raw
it seemed ok but your trained eye don't validate it, I have to search for a better one

Rolf wrote:
Returned the lens today. Not the right one for the D800

the 14 is very sharp, you have one also and I am sure it is good on the D800
what kind of problem did you had with the walimex, bad resolution or mechanical defects

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until today I didn't use the 14mm with the D800 only with the D700 and with this cam it works very good like yours with the 5D.

With the 85mm it was not possible to get any detailed and sharp image even with LV. I believe that this is not a problem of front or back focus, it seems that the lens resolution is to small for the sensor requirements. The bokeh was very nice and smooth wide open but details are less average even with larger apertures. You know the discussions about the lens requirements of the 36 MP sensor.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a test shot in the garden with f/7.1 and 1/1000. As you can see the grass is more a green capot, the stones are unsharp etc.
I must say that I have expected a little bit more.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
As you can see the grass is more a green capot, the stones are unsharp etc.
I must say that I have expected a little bit more.

It seems ok to me, at least at this image size.
Maybe with a larger size things would change, I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

the human cousins of bugs bunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great examples of just how damn wide this lens is! Laughing The shot of the knight in armour has some pop too!

It's a funny lens to use because of the distortion, but it's good fun for night shots of cities as the shutter speed will still reach 1/20th at ISO 800 usually Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

+1 I like it pretty much!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also visitet that place last year Smile But didn't take any pics with MF lenses.
The lens is very wide and very sharp on the MKII. Distortion is bad but could be easily corrected. If I had a FF DSLR I would also buy this lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your nice comments !

"Rolf wrote:
As you can see the grass is more a green capot, the stones are unsharp etc

at this size I cannot see the problem, I guess that 100% of 36Mpix are unforgivable, or maybe most take this lens for portrait and are not too picky for sharpness in landscape

Shrek wrote:
but it's good fun for night shots of cities as the shutter speed will still reach 1/20th at ISO 800 usually

I just found that the first shot is at 1/6 sec, I still make this kind of mistake, I set my iso's then forget that light change from room to room
when I am too slow, I understand it with the sound of the shutter, I switched from 800 to 1600 iso for the next shot (#9 with the vase) but it was still only 1/13s
incredible those small internet pics, nobody see if they are blurred
if some of my samples look soft, it is not from the lens that give great sharpness

ForenSeil wrote:
I also visited that place last year Smile But didn't take any pics with MF lenses.

I hope you enjoyed the visit, don't tell me that you had a small p&s like the tourist on #4 & #5 Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice wide angle entries from both you and attila makes me want something wide for my poor 60d
The interesting thing is you images do not look that super wide... i cant even imagine how it feel to look
through the 5d viewfinder with this lens on... but images do not give that super wide feeling maybe due to the correction? Ok except first image and vase shot but even there i cant say its really dramatic and i wonder why...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks !

Smoli4 wrote:
The interesting thing is you images do not look that super wide...

lot of people try to impress with a superwide by exaggerating perspective
if you keep the camera level, pics look natural
for the effect, you have to tilt the camera
no distortion correction on those samples

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice serie. very sharp and colorful.
The one under the arch with the guy photograping his friend, do you have a larger frame including the right of the arch ? il like the atmosphere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks !

Didier wrote:
The one under the arch with the guy photograping his friend, do you have a larger frame including the right of the arch ?

here it is

on this one, you can realize the width of those arch Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks poilu Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adjust the infinity with those instructions http://www.photo-worx.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=
it is a shame that all samyang 14mm are not calibrated but hopefully we can do it ourself
for those who don't understand German (like me), this is what I do
- remove the rubber, it is elastic but take your time
- set lens at f2.8 and adjust infinity on borders (with liveview), you will be little more than 2m on the scale
- unscrew the 3 screw marked '1' by 2 or 3 turns
- with a screwdriver move the inside barrel '2' until the max (infinity stop) without moving the exterior so you stay at 2m on the scale
- screw back the 3 screws
- now the infinite is at max but the scale is at 2m instead of infinite, you have to remove the scotch '3', move the scale to infinite and put scotch back
- put the rubber back

I had problem to set the scale at infinite, even after removing the scotch it was like glued, but after playing up down, right left, it moved freely and I could put it to the right place

here is a small test I did today, all wide open at the new infinite, it was midday and light is harsh but as you can see it work like hyperfocal at f2.8
why f2.8, because if it is good at f2.8 it will be good for all stops, if you test at f8 maybe infinite is not right but dof make the pic in focus
no distortion correction, all wide open at infinite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool shots, now i can certainly see the wide side Razz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!

some more all wide open, not focused, just set at infinity

100% crop, you can see the eyelashes

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open at infinite, no distortion correction

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote