Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First BOKEH shots with a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: First BOKEH shots with a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 Reply with quote

I'm not sure if those dark spots are caused by dust from the old lens or from the sensor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great photos!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: First BOKEH shots with a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 Reply with quote

cmontoya wrote:

I'm not sure if those dark spots are caused by dust from the old lens or from the sensor.

nice samples...
I have been wondering the same on photos with the round open aperture highlights, and I do 'believe' that it shows dust inside the lens, that this even may be a good way to test if a lens has dust, but I really don't know if this is true

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, but where are the swirlies?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NikonD: Thank you.

@kuuan: Thanks. I think it's dust inside the lens but I'll probably shoot with the lens cap on at f/22 to see.

@martin: Thank you too. I was trying to figure out how to get the swirlies. I think it only works if there are a lot of reflective surfaces (e.g., lighted leaves or flowers) behind the subject. I'll figure out how to get the swirlies sooner or later.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos, cmontoya Smile
About the dark spots, I also think it might be dust inside the lens. Sensor dust generally doesn't appear at wide apertures. But I'm curious to know for sure. Post some photos at f/22 if you can

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspiring photographs! Love the bokeh,colors and composition.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the first one!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice..can't wait to try mine out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmontoya wrote:
@martin: Thank you too. I was trying to figure out how to get the swirlies. I think it only works if there are a lot of reflective surfaces (e.g., lighted leaves or flowers) behind the subject. I'll figure out how to get the swirlies sooner or later.

You are using 1.6x crop frame camera so you get more depth of field. Narrow down depth of field by opening more up and getting in closer. If the the subjects behind depth of field are far away and smooth surfaces like your walls here you won't see swirly bokeh. Shoot wider open and place uneven backgrounds towards corners and edges for swirly bokeh

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/3149743027/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/3149743851/sizes/l/

Most of the time, I actually try to avoid creating it. I'm not a fan of 3 grouped lens bokeh, too restless for me. Quite easy to avoid it:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/2833939156/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mureena/2834994307/sizes/l/

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DiegoV, bbshooter, eeyore_nl, thomasb: Thank you Smile

@Esox lucius: Thank you for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so clear pictures Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you shauttra. The Helios 44-2 has a unique character from my SuperTaks. I like my SuperTaks for their realistic color rendition but when I want to do artsy photos, I'm starting to appreciate the Helios 44-2. I'm now hunting ebay for a Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon MC 35mm f2.

I also read that the Helios 44-2 is based on Carl Zeiss Biotar 58mm f/2 and that Carl Zeiss Biotar comes in 3 varieties: manual, pre-set, and semi-auto. I assume the manual is like SuperTak?

I wonder how I would know the difference when searching for it in ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Russki lenses Reply with quote

There are different versions of your lens, as you say, all based on the biotar. The older ones had more iris leaves. I think up to 12, but perhaps someone has an older one?
They come in silver or black for the newer ones.

Great photos by the way! I think the dust is on your sensor?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pat: Thank you. You may be right about the dust. My camera's a year old already. I'll probably have it cleaned next Saturday. It'd also be a good idea to have it cleaned on its purchase anniversary date.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Russki lenses Reply with quote

Three lens element groups construction shapes bokeh more than diaphragm. Diaphragm dictates shape of out of focus highlights (bokeh balls or bokeh polygons), bokeh is mostly due to lens design.

pat donnelly wrote:
There are different versions of your lens, as you say, all based on the biotar. The older ones had more iris leaves. I think up to 12, but perhaps someone has an older one?

Pre-war design post-war manufactured has 15 blades. See this topic for more information: http://forum.mflenses.com/two-very-different-biotar-58-mm-f2-carl-zeiss-jena-t22298.html

Last edited by Esox lucius on Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics, I like the 'Christmas Tree Bokeh', have to try this with my Helios-44M too...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. This is an under rated lens.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bob: Thank you. Yes it is but I found its weakness today. Flare Sad

I'll share the link to my flickr gallery where I uploaded photos of cosplayers (people in costumes) taken with it in another thread. I tested myself, that is, how well I can manually focus on moving people.