Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ferrania quits photo business :-(
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Ferrania quits photo business :-( Reply with quote

I have just learned that Ferrania has quit the photo business permanently. Sad
The production of film, that was interrupted in 2009, will not resume.
The company has converted their business into development of foto-sensitive components for
solar panels.
The glorious factory plant in Ferrania, that have been the protagonist of the history of photography in Italy,
have been reconverted into a paper mill, rented to another company:

http://www.ivg.it/2011/10/altro-tassello-per-la-rinascita-di-ferrania-con-il-gruppo-ferrara-al-via-nuova-cartiera/

This is an overview of the Ferrania plant, in an old photograph:

Ferrania has started in 1882 as a dynamite factory ( Exclamation ). After WWI, in 1920, around the time Leica commercialized their first camera,
Ferrania started to produce positive film. The production of various types of film has continued, as stated, for 89 years, until 2009.
In 1936 they also started the production of photo and movie cameras.

Ferrania workers, assembling camera parts:

Another piece of the history of photography that goes forever...
To my knowledge, the only large Italian companies still operative in the photo business are Ornano and Manfrotto.
Manfrotto is probably doing good, for Ornano's future I am not very optimistic Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad moment, I can't say any good Sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrania were never one of the major film companies for the UK market but nevertheless the firm's final departure is certainly a cause for regret.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that jus stinks orio. first as an american of italian decent, it is terrible to see such a legacy lost. as a photographer, i really enjoyed their print film--i just bought about 50 rolls of 100 and 400--beautiful color. it will be missed.

btw, slightly OT, i just heard kodak is discontinuing ELITE CHROME. bad day for tony, as EC was my favorite slide film ans ferrania one of my favorite print film. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times are changing... Crying or Very sad

What happened with:

- Officine Galileo
- IFF (Industria Fototechnica Firenze, I once had a 4x5" enlarger from them)
- Bencini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
What happened with:
- Officine Galileo

They are doing extremely well, in fact, although never spoken about, they are one of the optical leading
industries in Europe, they now produce optical components for satellites Shocked
There are a lot of Galileo components in the Hubble telescope.
But it's a lifetime since they quit photography business.

Quote:

They are apparently still existing, but I could not find any info about what they are doing today

Quote:
- Bencini

I don't think it exists anymore.
My first camera was a Bencini Smile it used cartdriges 4x4 (or something like that)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Ferrania were never one of the major film companies for the UK market but nevertheless the firm's final departure is certainly a cause for regret.

Maybe you didn't know, but 3M Scotch film was really rebadged Ferrania film.
I think that 3M Scotch branded film was largely distributed worldwide.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
that jus stinks orio. first as an american of italian decent, it is terrible to see such a legacy lost. as a photographer, i really enjoyed their print film--i just bought about 50 rolls of 100 and 400--beautiful color. it will be missed.

btw, slightly OT, i just heard kodak is discontinuing ELITE CHROME. bad day for tony, as EC was my favorite slide film ans ferrania one of my favorite print film. Crying or Very sad

One after another, all film production brands are closing down.
We old camera users really risk to be left soon with only a couple films still available and at astronomical prices.
Ferrania was a very good thing for us because it was good quality with affordable price.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i, also, am sorry to hear this. thanks to bill, i was able to experience ferrania 100 and 400. excellent film with its own look.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
What happened with:
- Officine Galileo

They are doing extremely well, in fact, although never spoken about, they are one of the optical leading
industries in Europe, they now produce optical components for satellites Shocked
There are a lot of Galileo components in the Hubble telescope.
But it's a lifetime since they quit photography business.

Quote:

They are apparently still existing, but I could not find any info about what they are doing today

Quote:
- Bencini

3x 4.5cm 120
I don't think it exists anymore.
My first camera was a Bencini Smile it used cartdriges 4x4 (or something like that)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: ferrania ressurected Reply with quote

go to photrio to know how ferrania resurrected