Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FED2, Industar 26m, Ektar 100, mainly Bath
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: FED2, Industar 26m, Ektar 100, mainly Bath Reply with quote

1. Bath Abbey nave

2. William Bingham

3. Bath abbey choir

4. Effigy

5. Spiral stairs

6. Doorway

7. Laura Place, Bath

8. Poppies (in Hertfordshire for change!)

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, so excellent! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent results , Kris !
What time/aperture did you used for the indoors ? handheld or tripod?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Excelent results , Kris !
What time/aperture did you used for the indoors ? handheld or tripod?

All handheld, wide open at f/2.8 and 1/30th second I think. 1/30th is as slow as my FED2 goes (apart from B). Some may have been at f/4... I'm afraid I'm not a note keeper. Sad

K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results - and I'm grumpy, as I have not ever had such good results from Ektar. Do you think Ektar has some sort of sensory capability, and forms a bond with some photographers (e.g. you) and simply hates others (e.g. me)? Laughing

That Industar 26M of yours looks to be a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Excellent results - and I'm grumpy, as I have not ever had such good results from Ektar. Do you think Ektar has some sort of sensory capability, and forms a bond with some photographers (e.g. you) and simply hates others (e.g. me)? Laughing

Laughing I think lab can make huge difference ... my closer lab always made any film to vintage looking , now I no why due I due C-41 by my self. Either they over used chemical or they used expired one and not extend second bath significantly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:

I have heard people complain about the colours of Ektar but I have always had lovely crisp colours. The prints of these images are much nicer than the scans posted here. I always use the same lab which is a bit on the expensive side but gives me excellent results with both the Ektar and BW400CN.

I do seem to have been lucky with the 26m. Sometimes the maximum aperture is a little slow but faster lenses like the Jupiter-3 go for more money than I want to spend. If I really need speed or shallow depth of field I can use one of my Pentax SLRs and the 50/1.2 lens. After all, the FED was a whim because I had never used a rangefinder and wasn't about to shell out for a Leica! I am very pleased with it though, and it gets fairly regular outings.

Best wishes, Kris.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel just the same as Jussi about Ektar. I've only tried one roll and the colours on every frame were far too saturated, particular the warmer ones. Until now I felt I was still searching for the right C41 film, but now you show me your lovely pics maybe I should give it another go. Maybe Attila has the answer. I used a local Fuji kiosk in Princes Risborough for that roll. Where do you send yours Kris?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I feel just the same as Jussi about Ektar. I've only tried one roll and the colours on every frame were far too saturated, particular the warmer ones. Until now I felt I was still searching for the right C41 film, but now you show me your lovely pics maybe I should give it another go. Maybe Attila has the answer. I used a local Fuji kiosk in Princes Risborough for that roll. Where do you send yours Kris?

Try Kodak Portra 160NC if you want to see neutral less saturated colors.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila. Yes, that's been my favourite for about 2 years but it's a little too cool for my taste. Portra 160VC is like Ektar, again too saturated - greens in particular, and it's very difficult to correct with PS, even though it's fun trying! Smile It puzzles me why the Fuji print machine at the local lab gets the colours just right on paper but the neg scans don't match up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks Attila. Yes, that's been my favourite for about 2 years but it's a little too cool for my taste. Portra 160VC is like Ektar, again too saturated - greens in particular, and it's very difficult to correct with PS, even though it's fun trying! Smile It puzzles me why the Fuji print machine at the local lab gets the colours just right on paper but the neg scans don't match up.

Another tip is Fuji Pro S160 also very well balanced film.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/filmcamera/japanese/ricohflex/?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. Yes, I've been thinking about trying that after seeing your pics, and also some that Jussi posted. It certainly has beautiful fine grain but, like the 160NC, I don't see enough warmth. I think I'll give it a go, as well as another roll of Ektar, and have the development done by a professional lab this time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Thanks Attila. Yes, I've been thinking about trying that after seeing your pics, and also some that Jussi posted. It certainly has beautiful fine grain but, like the 160NC, I don't see enough warmth. I think I'll give it a go, as well as another roll of Ektar, and have the development done by a professional lab this time.

Let we see Ektar looks seriously good film, I wish to try it too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

I use the Darkroom UK: http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/ Not cheap but remember to factor in the free postage! They supply a postage paid label.

Smile

K.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one roll of Portra 160NC left, and two of the NEW Portra 160, in 120. I plan to run both through the same camera and compare results.

Rumor has it that the New Portra is somewhere in between 160NC and 160VC, which would be a good thing indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done, Kris, well done. you have a good fed and an excellent i-26. you have an even better eye ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

womble wrote:
I use the Darkroom UK: http://www.the-darkroom.co.uk/ Not cheap but remember to factor in the free postage! They supply a postage paid label.

Smile

K.

Thanks Kris. Their price works out a bit cheaper than the lab I've been using for slides so I'll give them a try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments Paul and everyone else. Smile

K.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful series, #3 and #5 stand out above the rest for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice results. Very nice work.

I also very much like ektar 100. I usually set the ASA to 125 and am very happy with the results.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots, as always! Smile