Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fake night
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Fake night Reply with quote

A tentative to make a night time picture by photographing the scene in full daylight Smile
5D Mark II, Sigma Mini Wide 28mm f/2.8 lens.
Two variations:

Which one do you like better? Smile

P.S. there is snow on the ground.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Hollywood use filters to do the same thing...daylight shots with filter looked like night shots in moon light. BTW the first one has a blue cast and 2nd a sepia one Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course the trick is a hundred years old Laughing
I did not apply any coloured filtering on the first picture, on the contrary, I desaturated the image, because it looked too blue to me.
The blue tint is the "natural" result of lowering the exposure.
In the second image, I applied a copper-coloured gradient filter to the image in order to obtain the kind of silvery green that I perceive in the nights when the moon is hiding behind clouds.
Further desaturation applied to second image.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my monitor isn't very good, but I had to turn the light off in the room to make out any details in either of those and then I noticed the colour casts. And I thought my monitor was a touch on the bright side!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latter is the only one I can make out anything in. It looks like a telephone pole, maybe? Both are really WAY dark on my monitor, and I know mine is calibrated bright. The first looks like a black box.

What was your subject? Is it possible to have less darkness?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Maybe my monitor isn't very good, but I had to turn the light off in the room to make out any details in either of those

OK, then the night trick was successful! Laughing Wink

P.S. to calibrate your monitor, this pattern board is useful:

Ideally, you would be able to distinguish between 0% and 1% white, and 99% and 100% black.
By adjusting contrast and brightness on your monitor, you should try to get as close as possible to the goal.