Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Eyecups
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Eyecups Reply with quote

I noticed the other day how much the Spotmatic metering is affected by light entering through the viewfinder, it makes quite a considerable difference if the sun is at the "right" angle. I'm wondering if it's worthwhile getting an eyecup? Anyone else use one?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I used one with my original Minolta XGM, I didn't use it to keep out excess light, I just found it to be more comfortable and helped with viewing the image.

Currently I don't use one, but some of the prices people are asking for them are obscene, when I think back it wasn't a huge outlay. So I'm being patient and I'll get it when I have a chance to wander through a few retail places.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Canon AE-1 had a lot of metering differences from light entering the viewing piece. My "solution" involved blocking it with my hand...crude, but it worked. Of course, my shots were mostly on timer and on a tripod, so that certainly made it easy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Thinking about it, I feel it's going to be difficult to use an eyecup anyway, as I either need to wear glasses for focussing and reading lens dials or use a little diopter lens that itself fits on the eyepiece. Hand shielding is probably the answer Larry, although maybe it would be even better to use a separate meter.

I know! I'll use a black cloth over my head - I wonder if anybody ever thought of that before! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I know! I'll use a black cloth over my head - I wonder if anybody ever thought of that before! Wink

Very retro! You may start a trend Rolling Eyes Laughing Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It you are shooting with the camera on the face, no light should enter. If you are shooting with the camera on the tripod, then cover the viewfinder with a hand or with a lens cap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
It you are shooting with the camera on the face, no light should enter.

That's precisely the problem - it shouldn't but it does.