Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Hektor 13,5/1:4,5 Lens..image samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Hektor 13,5/1:4,5 Lens..image samples Reply with quote

I had some time this morning to take some quick images...and I am pleased with the results, NO pp straight from the camera...this is early morning with the sun behind me.They could possibly be sharper if I had used a tripod as I moved trying to find the focus.All I can say it was money well spent on this old lens.This is the lens HERE

#3 Tried to focus on the centre of the flower.

#4 Slight movement with a breeze plus my movement.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ones, I like especially first one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice samples moira, beautiful color. as i recall, thats a heavy son of a gun, especially for an m39!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,It is not overly heavy...but hand holding it onto the K200D is not easy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is one of the affordable Leitz lenses but that doesn't mean that they are useless. On the contrary! The Hektors are worth every Penny!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples Moïra. Smile
4.5/13.5cm means it is an old one, isn't it ? How old is it ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Nice samples Moïra. Smile
4.5/13.5cm means it is an old one, isn't it ? How old is it ?

1938 I was told by the seller,I know there is some way to read the serial number but I have no idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more samples...with minor PP brightness and contrast...and a little cropping. Very Happy Some appear more sharp than others I was wondering would the possible separation of an element cause loss of sharpness from one side of the image to the other?
I had to test the lens on my usual subjects flowers and roses and a cat of course thrown in for good measure!! Very Happy

I don't get (understand) why they are the cheaper Leitz out there as I find the lens superb...may be I am easily pleased and don't know too much. Wink

#3 The crop

#4 The roses...

#6 The red

#7 The yellow

#9 The cat

#10 Another type of separation!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvelous, Mo !!!

That's a very artistic lens .
I feel some lenses are giving more to the photographer than others.
This one gives a lot and it suits you very well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Marvelous, Mo !!!

That's a very artistic lens .
I feel some lenses are giving more to the photographer than others.
This one gives a lot and it suits you very well.

+1
love this

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice pictures - and a nice lens! The Hektor is one of - if not the most - under-rated Leitz lenses. I use mine more with the Pentax than on the Leica because it seems to have a particularly nice way of handling close up subjects. Now you need to get a Leica or a Bessa R to see how it works at longer distances . . .

If you want a really good laugh, go to Master Ken Rockwell's website and see what he has to say about it . Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be the link?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/135mm-f45.htm
Oh well if people believe him I may be able to pick another one up cheap... Very Happy
These pics were with a lens with a lot of dirt inside plus lens separation so if you have one in good order...keep it Wink
I have an old battered Minolta 101 with the leica adapter so I may try it out on film.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo that second set is very very good, just fine pictures. this seems to be a cam/lens set that really suits you.

btw, and not to take off topic, i have one of these lenses that i never use, if anyone is interested pm me. mo, if you dont want this in your post i understand, tell me and i will remove it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All nicely done Mo.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mo,

Well your pics sure do put the lie to KR's review, don't they. Or maybe he just got a bum copy.

Honestly, I've never heard any criticism optically of a Hektor. Leica aficionados will typically say something like, "Yeah, it takes great pics, but it's a Hektor." Whatever that's supposed to mean. Elmars are also not as highly regarded, but are also excellent optics.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great work Mo, love those Aussie flora samples. First ones are shells of Bottlebrush (Callistemon), aren't they?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Really great work Mo, love those Aussie flora samples. First ones are shells of Bottlebrush (Callistemon), aren't they?

Orio you always test me on my lack of Australian plant knowledge... Very Happy It is not a bottle brush variety but what we call a gum nut.The dried gum nuts like in the first photos can be used in Floral decorations....there is a famous Australian story about Snugglepot and cuddle pie that had to do with gum nuts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snugglepot_and_Cuddlepie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great pictures.

And what strange plants you have down under... Very Happy