Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar Repro Summar 24mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar Repro Summar 24mm Reply with quote

This tiny lens was not yet reviewed in the forum, although there is some info spread here and there in internet, especially detailed in German, in Leica enthousiast forums.

First of all, while the threaded mount is only 20mm and the flange distance is ridiculously small, so mounting it even on NEX is a PITA. The smaller Chinese helicoid of 17-31mm is too long. So I used a custom adpater ring put on M42-NEX thin adapter, and focusing is done with unscrewing the lens. Not the best ergonomy. And this way the MFD is only around 35cm, largely out of the best IQ original limit.

Second, the lens has an aperture ring marked 2, 6 and 12. You say "Wow, a 2/24 Leitz lens! What more to dream about?" Nope, the indication must be fractional, as in some older enlarger lenses. According to several internet sources, the max opening is f4.5.

Third, I was really curious to see the results near infinity, as I had no doubts in the lens' close field capacities. In fact, it is not one of repro or enlarger lenses giving excellent results at 20+ meters. It must be very well optimized for close field and gives nicely neat picture at 5-8 meters too. But at f4.5 you easily find much better candidates for infinity shots, including a good copy of Domiplan.

Fourth, the overall rendering is clean and pleasant but it vignettes on APS-C. Nothing really bad, still to be taken into account.

Here are some quick samples with diaphragm WO and half-closed.

#1 Near infinity, light contrast tweaks applied

#2 A 100% crop WO, no PP

#3 A 100% crop half-closed, no PP

#4 Mid-range, automatic exposure is diminished

#4 A 100% crop, no PP

#6 Further

#7 MFD with my setup, WO

#8 A 100% crop WO, no PP

#9 A 100% crop, no PP

I presume some of you used this lens and would be glad to know your experience and adaptation techniques.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Pretty sharp in some of those photos. What era is this lens from? Could we get a snap of the lens? Perhaps on the camera to see your adaptation? THe vignetting on an APSC is cool IMHO and could make for some very interesting effects.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in forums speak about a long production period of the lens, "before and well after World War II", referring to some particular catalogue entries going up to the 1970s (this thread).

This Leitz manual of Reprovit II printed in 1964 names Repro Summar as a second standard piece of equipment, together with 50mm Focotar (page 6).

Here it is put on Sony Nex. As I mentioned, due to the small flange distance, the focusing is done "in-mount". As long as the threaded ring is not a dedicated one, the lens wobbles a bit inside, and this makes precise focusing the same bit tricky.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Repro Summar clean and in part simplified rendering made me think about quite a different lens, a projection zoomBenoist-Berthiot Variastar 80-105. Eeven though Repro Summar gives a sharper and more detailed image, both have something in common in the way they render colours and surfaces.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French aviation rehearses a military show for the Bastille Day, captured with Repro Summar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Fantastic shots. Would this lens cover full frame on the original camera it was designed for?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your words!

The lens does not cover FF, I doubt it was destined for 24x36 film, given its focal length.

Here how it comes on Sony A7 FF: interesting effect if used on purpose, but far really from "good corners".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If on Sony Nex the lens looks already a live metaphor of compactness, it transforms Sony A7 in a kind of steampunk spy camera.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Repro Summar bokeh is not the smoothest on absolute scale, but calm and nicely structured, not bad at all for a 24mm lens.

The rendering of white and well lit surfaces is pleasantly uniform, giving to them a kind of softness and slightly slippery feeling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more urban scenery seized with this repro lens. I played a bit with contrast to accentuate authentic vignetting on APS-C.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice contrasty rendering. Maybe it would really come to it's own on a m43 sensor, because of the quite strong vignetting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you prefer this rendering without vignetting? It seems to add some character in my eyes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't be unfair to a lens that was calulated for ONLY macro/close up distances where the image
has multiple the size at infinity (m+1) times to be precise...for THAT is does amazingly well and it is
so respectful to not even disclose that "abuse" which I do... and no, btw it being a 24mm lens does
not mean it is a wide angle, bevor someone asks that intelligent question Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the rule of this forum is: Take any lens and do with it what you wish. Is not it interesting to know if a good repro lens might also be used as a good all-purpose wide glass?

I like this lens' rendering, and this is not an accident that I keep experimenting with it. With its natural vignetting and sligtly soft but contrasty infinity rendering it certainly has a character.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can!! But it would be just helpful and/fair to mention its intended original use.
Just look at the answers/questions you got..."does it cover full format" etc. ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmar10/history_photomicrography_ed3.pdf

Leitz Wetzlar Panphot Aristophot Microscope Macro Photo System RARE V60 Click here to see on Ebay

photo credit: ebay seller vssoutlet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend that the "Repro" part of the lens' name and its physical aspect speak for themselves.

Do you have information of its original use? I linked above Leitz catalogues where the lens is mentioned as a part of enlarger equipment (in the 1960s). As far as I know, the fashion of small-format cameras came later. So, what kind of film was it serving for?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, visualopsins, you replied to the question before I put it!

In ebay link you provided, the seller speaks about a 4x5 camera. Given the lens does not cover APS-C, this might not be its primary use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, visualopsins, you replied to the question before I put it!

In ebay link you provided, the seller speaks about a 4x5 camera. Given the lens does not coer APS-C, this might not be its primary use.

Used on extended bellows wouldn't it cover 4x5? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reprovit II manual specifies the use of Repro Summar for 7:1 reproduction job. It does not specify film size, and I thought (by default) it was 24x36mm.

But, to be frank, I don't quite understand the use of the machine. First the manual says you use your Leica, so the 24mm Repro Summar could be directly attached to the camera for re-photographing? In the end the document speaks about enlarging job. That sounds a bit confusing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Would you prefer this rendering without vignetting? It seems to add some character in my eyes.

I think it has enough character without it and on m43 it would be a slow standard lens, for shooting street in good light.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point!

You'd need an even thinner adapter to put it on MFT camera.