Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yet another old zoom: Benoist-Berthiot Variastar 80-105
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Yet another old zoom: Benoist-Berthiot Variastar 80-105 Reply with quote

I've got another old projector zoom which is Benoist-Berthiot Variastar 80-105mm. It comes from Sodisfom, one of French machines which looks quite a bit like many Germans from the 1960s (Leitz, Leisegang and some others), an all-metal model with a large radiator bar. The lens has a more modern aspect than Zoom Decar 85-150 some of you didn't appreciate, as for its IQ. No "starwars" style, and the construction is a metal-plastic hybrid.

As compared to Zoom Decar, the Variastar has a better sharpness and IQ across the field. It has a good general contrast and a low microcintrast. That makes it render BW in a pretty nostalgic way. I've already tried a fix length projector lens from Benoist Berthiot, and appreciated its cinematographic rendering. The zoom has something similar with that.

Here are some samples taken with Sony APS-C, at extremes focal ends, with colours and contrast boosted:

#1 Long end

#2 Wide end

#3 Wide end, showing how it bears contrast light

#4 Conversion into BW

#5 Another BW sample

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some more shots from a river bank, in fading light.

Out-of-camera images were lacking contrast, but are easily tweaked. Some vignetting present on FF, adding character. The rendering is generally pretty close to film, as I already noticed, common to Benoist Berthiot projector lenses I tested. At ISO 1600 the image has some nice grain.