Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Epson V700 versus 2450 Test Thread
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Epson V700 versus 2450 Test Thread Reply with quote

I'm starting a test thread for my newly acquired (set it up about 10 minutes ago) Epson V700

I had already saved various images from a variety of scanning modes from the 2450, so I could later compare.

These were at a very LOW (default) resolution of 300dpi for both scanners. Both are with the "Auto" scanning defaults.

Original from 2450:

Side by side full crop:

Last edited by Laurence on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice an evident improvement in both contrast and resolvance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me and this is the Emperor's new clothes, but I don't see
a demonstrable difference. Something that would launch a thousand
ships or excite one to write sonnets. Don't get me wrong, I do see a
difference, I just didn't think it'd be this subtle. Perhaps seeing the whole
picture would be more telling.

I'm thinking when you scan at a much higher dpi, the differences will be
more pronounced.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Epson V700 versus 2450 Test Thread Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
These were at a very LOW (default) resolution of 300dpi for both scanners. Both are with the "Auto" scanning defaults

Are these scans of negs or prints? Is the 300dpi resolution the real scanning resolution or the more or less meaningless printer resolution which many scanning programs show? If you aren't sure, you can get the scanning resolution by dividing the image file size in pixels by the size of the original in inches.

Any way, the V700 seems to be much better than the 2450. Congrats Smile

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

more pronounced.

I felt the same when seeing this first scan, Bill. However, I MAY not be doing things correctly yet (although both were Automatic mode).

To answer Veijo's query here, this is the scanner's resolution of 300dpi. There is a place to put in a "printer resolution" if wanted, but I checked only the "scan resolution" box.

I will soon be getting down and dirty on higher scan resolutions, and hopefully see a larger difference.

The difference is there, to be sure. But I agree that the Emporer is still wearing his older clothes. Smile

But...that's the fun of it all!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

more pronounced.

I my eyes, the difference is tremendous, in digicam terms it is like more than doubling the megapixels although perhaps not quite quadrupling them. If I down-sample the image by a factor of 0.5 and then up-sample back to the original size, the difference between the resulting V700 image and the original 2450 image is minimal, much less than the difference between the originals. Less is gained by going from a 350D to a 5D, IMHO.

Veijo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence, have you tried scanning colour negs with the V700 yet? I've done a whole load of old pics today using Full Auto mode and I must say I'm highly impressed. You just load the negs in the film holder, check that everything under the Customize button is deselected and click on Scan. The scanner does the rest. It makes a pic about 1800x1000px at 300dpi, about 2Mb jpeg, and churns out 16 in about 10 minutes. I'm really pleased with the auto colour correction.

Here are two examples on 100ASA Kodak Gold. This is Poschiavo in Switzerland, when I drove to Padova and Venice on holiday in 1989.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are looks excellent Peter! Can you provide me one in largest size what you have it ?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
These are looks excellent Peter! Can you provide me one in largest size what you have it ?

Thanks, I scanned from within Photoshop so all the files came from the scanner at around 5Mb from Full Auto mode. I only saved them as 2Mb jpegs but I can rescan a TIFF for you, which would you like? Do you want me to email it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 MB jpeg is fine. You can upload or email it any variation is good for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, check your mail please! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this is simple PERFECT! Many thanks !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I did just that! Very nice, thank you!

For such a simple automatic function, I am impressed by how LITTLE I would need to do to these for a final presentation. Perhaps a little Unsharp Mask and that's about it. The saturation, color, and light values seem to be the same as I remember them.

I just did these two, basically at random, and it took less than two minutes total. Shocked With some tools at increased resolution, the capability of big, clean prints is available. There's a little bit of red artifacts from the basic scan, but that is easily "cleaned".

Takumar 135/3.5 pre-set
Fuji Reala 100

Tamron SP 35-80
Kodak Gold 100