Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elisa - various lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Elisa - various lenses Reply with quote

A preview from the photo session of yesterday:

of course everything is in order (like with all the models I use, I have her written consent for publication).

I love my P 1.2/85. You may never know what comes out of it. It's a daily surprise. With it, I need to fight my attitude of just using the lenses,
and baby-sit it with ultra care. In fact, it makes me a bit nervous every time I take it out, but, it never makes me regret it afterwards.

P.S. wide open.

Last edited by Orio on Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreamy. Bit soft?

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Dreamy. Bit soft?
patrickh

I slightly front-focused. It's very hard to focus a 1.2/85 wide open Shocked and I didn't have the time to adjust.
But I like the pose, so I kept it. To heck with the focus Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the composition is great and the girl beautiful
clever idea those hairs extensions!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

+1
the focus seems to be on the hands (and not on the beautifull eyes Very Happy !), it's a shame but I can imagine how difficult it could be to get the right focus at f1.2 and 85mm Confused .....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, focus on hands. Left hand fingers.
And the eyes are moving asymmetrically. The right one is closer to the corner of the eye than the left one.
But I like it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

pich900 wrote:
it's a shame but I can imagine how difficult it could be to get the right focus at f1.2 and 85mm Confused .....

Yes, especially when the model is moving almost constantly. During these workshops, there are from 3 to 5 photographers at a time. The model holds the pose for you for just a few seconds, then turns to another photographer. This means you don't have a second chance at the same pose. Usually what I do is to set the lens at or around f/4, this makes up for slightly missed focusing. But I always give wide open shots a chance: you miss many, but when you get one you are usually rewarded. The problem is that when focusing at f/1.2, with this lens, which is out-of-the-world sharp (Woeltche, the designer, defined it "astral"), you get a super sharp focus plane even at wide open, but as soon as you move off the FP, the transition into total blur is almost immediate (and stronger the closer you are to the subject of course).
Paradoxically, if I used a cheaper and less sharp f/1.2 lens, I would have obtained a more homogeneous result, with nothing really in focus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another one, with better focus. Smile Lens is Planar 1.4/85 (Contax).
You can see how different it renders compared to 1.2/85. I like both, really. They serve different moods and purposes.

As I side note: I used the ColorChecker Passport with this production. Took a checker shot at the beginning of the day and one WB shot at each change of the lights. Hard to say in words how happy I am about the colour checker and lightroom plugin. Before, i could never obtain perfect tones from tungsten lighting. The problem being that white balance alone can not do it if you are using a generic camera profile. You need to recalibrate the camera colour profile under the lighting conditions. Once you do, you get so beautiful tones. They look so good and professional. The best 85 Euros I spent lately.

Last edited by Orio on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with such a model, I like both photos, excellent comps!

Looking forward to more in the series... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
You can't go wrong with such a model, I like both photos, excellent comps!

Thanks! I am happy with the compositions, although the set was quite limited (but next time I will bring with me some accessories).

The model is not quite experienced in glamour, she is mostly a fashion model. She is very good in posing the body but she can improve in face expression compared to older models like Anna or Tatiana, who can really meow, purr and growl at the camera Smile She's very young, still a student. So I followed my own advice and tried to play with her shiness, making of it a compositional element (hence the hands playing with the hair et c.)

Katastrofo wrote:
Looking forward to more in the series... Smile

Ok. I will make of her my squirrel of the day Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Ok. I will make of her my squirrel of the day Wink

Fantastic idea! Smile Cool Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one, this time taken with the Planar 2/100 Contax.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, we need a pulsing green envy emoticon! Laughing

Of course I like the last shot, what's not to like? The colors in all these are
superb, yes, good investment of 85 Euros.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Another one, this time taken with the Planar 2/100 Contax.

You have all of the Planars, don't you? Twisted Evil
The 1,2/85 is one of the ultra expensive anniversary editions?

Really nice skin tones, even for a (color) blind person like me Very Happy
Consider also a WB lens cap for outdoors. It is so easy to use, and does wonders if you aim at the right light source.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Attila, we need a pulsing green envy emoticon! Laughing

Of course I like the last shot, what's not to like? The colors in all these are
superb, yes, good investment of 85 Euros.

That really makes a difference. I will show you and everyone a default (i.e. unedited) RAW picture with the camera default colour profile and with my personalized colour profile.

It's funny, many of us are ready to spend money on cameras and lenses but reluctant to buy such an accessory. Yet it's one that can make the difference in your photos.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the comparisons and will Google Colorchecker Passport.

So, this is it?

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-MSCCPP-ColorChecker-Passport/dp/B002NU5UW8

looking at the number of gold stars, people seem to like it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:

You have all of the Planars, don't you? Twisted Evil

Most Smile
I am missing the 1.2/55, but it's way too expensive even for a crazy man like me.

Quote:
The 1,2/85 is one of the ultra expensive anniversary editions?

It is. It has to be, because the lens exists only as anniversary edition.

nkanellopoulos wrote:
Really nice skin tones, even for a (color) blind person like me Very Happy
Consider also a WB lens cap for outdoors. It is so easy to use, and does wonders if you aim at the right light source.

I have them, I bought them some time ago in all the more common sizes.
I have to say, they can be useful sure if one shoots JPG, or, if one does not have a good RAW editor.
But, if you have an editor like Lightroom, that with a click lets you apply the white balance of one file to the whole bunch of pictures, those caps are not useful anymore, because it is more accurate to take a shot of a balanced (i.e. accurate) white or 18% grey card and apply it to all the files in lightroom. Of course, in all cases (caps and card), the basic rule applies that whenever there is a significant change in lighting conditions, you must take another card/cap picture.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Looking forward to the comparisons and will Google Colorchecker Passport.
So, this is it?
http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-MSCCPP-ColorChecker-Passport/dp/B002NU5UW8
looking at the number of gold stars, people seem to like it

Yes, that's it.
Keep in mind that the software works only for Adobe raw programs (lightroom, camera raw).
You can also use the checker with other software, but you will have to prepare the profile manually.
The software is really fantastic, I was afraid of technical complications but there is none, even a child could use it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm putting this on Santa's list. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Thanks, I'm putting this on Santa's list. Wink

Wise move! Stay online, I'll post the comparison images soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I am missing the 1.2/55,

Orio, be carefully, it's hard enough to nail the focus with the 85/1.2 let alone a 55mm. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil
OTOH, how can you miss something that you've never had ? Razz Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right enough, Sorin! That line reminds me of a James Taylor's song line, that goes "How come I miss what I never knew / and drag out the past just to paint it blue"