Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E-1 + Soligor 135mm f2.8 and questions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: E-1 + Soligor 135mm f2.8 and questions? Reply with quote

Hi everybody;

I've receive Soligor 135mm f2.8 M42 mount from ebay. I'ven't know the lens before but the price is cheap that drive me to test it. Who know the information of this lens, please tell me.

Thanks for all questions.

Here are some pics from this lens.

I set Saturate in Olympus E-1 = +2, other is 0.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the color is great.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pictures I use f/5.6 in daytime.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOF is good for me but it's easily out of focus.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all, I like color from this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for joining us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colors are nice , but no details at all. Looks like painted LOL! Nice storybook illustrator lens ! Thank you for sharing! I really look forward similar shoots with your best lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the compositions.

As to the lens : The bokeh seems pretty good, but there does seem to be an absence of fine detail. I don't know whether this is due to lens or the image processing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detail was killed by excessive saturation.

This is something I repeat since long time: saturation kills detail. By compressing the dynamic range of colours, it also kill the subtle colour shades that help in the perception of details.

Soligor is never going to be a Leica, but make a test: develop RAW with normal saturation, and compare the result with this saturation. The lens will appear immediately more detailed.

-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think that the details are lost because some of the parts are ooF. As KhanX has stated, it is not that easy to focus precisely at f2.8 with a 135mm lens.

But Orio's idea also is good. Turn down saturation a little and it will help.

I think this lens is not bad at all!

I mean, look at this pic:

Here the focus is on spot and I can see many details...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KhanX
Do you live in paradise ?
How do you get so many butterflies Shocked
What honey or secret elixir do you put on the flower ?
Perfect color,background, composition
1/250s with 135*1.6=216 for macro & without flash is limit, that can explain low sharpness
And I doubt the Soligor could come even near the Contax 100
Butterflies are to fast for me and those photos are just stunning !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard_D - Thank you that you like the compositions and bokeh

Orio - I agree with you. I forget to set saturate back to 0. I don't like to set
the functions to other number. I like all functions is 0 that it make me find
the great quality of lens.

I'll try it again.

LicisPictor - Thank you. I'll try it again. About the DOF, if I take photo at 2.8, I'll use tripod.

Poilu - Thanks a lot. I spend a lot of time to take all pictures. The pics I select from about 100 pics. You can do it for the best shot of butterfies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX: I just had a look at your signature. You have a great set of equipment! Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanX

My reading on the E-1 suggests very strongly that you get much better results by shooting RAW and processing from there. I dont know if you shoot jpg, but Orio's point about saturation is quite right.

patrickh

PS love the pics anyway - they are butterflies the like of which I have not seen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Sunagor 135mm f2.8 - a version that can focus down to 1m. I will not say the price as it will make some people here cry. My findings (I've not really used it too much yet) are similar to yours: it is a very colourful lens! Colours are much less nuanced with this lens - but, as you have discovered, this is not such a bad thing because, instead, you get a high "graphic" quality.

I've found that cheap lenses (like the Autoflex 50mm f2.8 and the Sunagor 28mm f2.Cool produce a similar effect. If I carry one of these lenses, I'm usually carrying all three and it's either a very dull day, or I'm going somewhere with *lots* of colour.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh - Thank you.

I'm also like shootin RAW files but all of these pictures I shot JPEG because I forget CF 2 Gigabyte. I have only 512 Gigabyte.