Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Distagon T* 1,4/35
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Distagon T* 1,4/35 Reply with quote

Zeiss is releasing the Distagon 1,4/35 for ZE and ZF2. Maybe more experienced members will know if they are the same with the C/Y version. My only wish is with this introduction, the C/Y version will drop its price.

Tech. Spec:
Focal Length: 35mm
Aperture Range: f/1.4 - f/16
Number of Elements: 11/9
Focusing Range: 0.3m - infinity
Filter size: 72mm

Full press released from Zeiss: http://www.zeiss.com/4125681C00466C26/Contents-Frame/7B1B16269DA3F0D085256B75005EDDEE

(Sorry link does not seem to go in automatically.).

Please click "International Press Releases" then "01.09.2010".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably another dream lens with a nightmare price. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press release
http://www.zeiss.com/C1256A770030BCE0/WebViewTopNewsAllE/4E1756D4AF56756EC125779000246827?OpenDocument

product photo of the lens
http://www.zeiss.com/C125679B0029303C/EmbedTitelIntern/PI_0141-2010_1-dl/$File/PI_0141-2010_1-dl.jpg

downsized sample without EXIF
http://www.zeiss.com/C125679B0029303C/EmbedTitelIntern/PI_0141-2010_2-dl/$File/PI_0141-2010_2-dl.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Probably another dream lens with a nightmare price. Wink

Recommended price: 1400 euros...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A woman is sitting at the bar of a dimly-lit cafe. Lost in thoughts, she doesn’t notice the glass of wine the bartender places before her.

Dream lens .. Smile Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I exchanged a few emails with Zeiss regarding the build quality of the ZE/ZF series.

The paint on the focusing ring of my 2/35 started to show signs of wear after just 5 days of very careful use.

I would go with a used Contax version, as I did with 1,4/50 and the 1,4/85.
I received them in perfect condition, 10+ years after they were manufactured.

I will post all my communication in a new post.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:
The paint on the focusing ring of my 2/35 started to show signs of wear after just 5 days of very careful use.

Interesting. My 85/1.4 has followed me for rough travel in Japan, SE Asia, Europe, Scandinavian (read: arctic) winters all the way to The Pacific Ocean and Sierras of México. I can find two small dings and scratches on the barrel, but no paint loss.

Do let us know in another thread how this evolves, I am particularly interested as the 35/2 ZF.2 is on my get it now list of equipment.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they finally did it.
Uhmm... loads of CA in the specular highlights... I don't remember my Contax copies to have it so bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
nkanellopoulos wrote:

Interesting. My 85/1.4 has followed me for rough travel in Japan, SE Asia, Europe, Scandinavian (read: arctic) winters all the way to The Pacific Ocean and Sierras of México. I can find two small dings and scratches on the barrel, but no paint loss.

Do let us know in another thread how this evolves, I am particularly interested as the 35/2 ZF.2 is on my get it now list of equipment.

What is your serial number?

I am preparing my post about the correspondence with Zeiss. Should be there in 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1400 EURos ?

I don't understand ..

I think the price for the C/Y version is going to be higher ..
because there is a plenty of room for mark the price up Smile

good luck ...

I am happy with the C/Y version anyway .. Smile

tf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is old Distagon info>
http://www.pebbleplacephotography.com/Offload/PDFs/Distagon_1_4_35mm_e.pdf

Mine cost me $520 after the factory OHed, me too sticks to this older lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trifox wrote:

I don't complain, I have three! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture from one of my Contax copies, ok it's not wide open (could not find one), but still...
Compare the specular highlights with those on the Zeiss site photo.
FIrst full, then 100% crop:

Zeiss site photo (crop):

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
trifox wrote:

I don't complain, I have three! Laughing

No wonder, I can't even find one at an affordable price. Wink Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from Carl Zeiss Lenses' Facebook page:

Quote:
Look at these pictures taken with the new Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZE! They have been shot with a prototype of the lens at the Huntington Library in
southern California.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silver2silicon/sets/72157624855898822/

69 photos in the set, they're downsized but EXIF and RAW conversion data is available

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox wrote:
69 photos in the set, they're downsized but EXIF and RAW conversion data is available

I guess everybody can not make every lens shine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:

I guess everybody can not make every lens shine

Agree, most of them are banal photos
Also, I wonder why one with a 1.4/35 Distagon in his hands would choose to shoot pictures in California blinding high noon sunlight, where even the 2/35 at wide open would be too fast.
Those pictures do not put the lens at stake in the areas that are sensible for a f/1.4 lens, that is, night pictures, interiors pictures, live events, concerts, artificial light flare situations, etc.
A wasted opportunity. I guess some people should live forever with a f/4.5-5.6 zoom, that's what they deserve. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Well, it's not going to take long before a production-approved lens finds the hands of a photographer who puts it into nocturnal use. I do look forward to it, the samples so far tell really not much about the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing 3d in these samples

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd Chambers's first impression:

http://www.diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2010-09-blog.html#blog20100916Zeiss35

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And his second impression>
http://www.diglloyd.com/diglloyd/index.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a subscriber (but not for long anymore), I've read the full version of his report, and well... I have to smile at the enthusiastic report as he's discovering this lens that we have known and loved for so many years now... he sounds so naive Very Happy
I mean... like discovering the Americas in 2010, or something... Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I looked at the samples and how he explained it and I thought "Hmm, sounds like this C/Y Distagon I have here Laughing"

Of course, I guess there's always the chance that they've improved the coating, better control for CA, and perhaps, being a wide angle lens, perform better on digital sensors with better control over telecentricity.

At least, one would hope so with the price they're asking Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I have to smile at the enthusiastic report as he's discovering this lens that we have known and loved for so many years now

after reading the report, do you feel the new lens is like the Contax version

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Orio wrote:
I have to smile at the enthusiastic report as he's discovering this lens that we have known and loved for so many years now

after reading the report, do you feel the new lens is like the Contax version

For what I could see, yes, but there's also to be said that his test photos are so unchallenging and unimaginative (in other words: boring), that it's difficult to say.
I wait to see this lens in the hands of a real photographer before I say anything conclusive.