Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Converto-Tamron 135/4.5-225/7.7 - set with matched TC, 1958
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Converto-Tamron 135/4.5-225/7.7 - set with matched TC, 1958 Reply with quote

I already had this lens, but this was available as the complete set, with an M42 mini-T mount also -

My old one had an Exakta mount and lacked the matched teleconverter. It was also labelled a "Tamron Twin Tele". It looks like this set went under several names, besides "Twin Tele" amd "Converto", I think some were labelled "Duo-Tamron".

This is one of the first, or possibly the first, case of a matched teleconverter sold as a consumer lens. And of course, it is the very first Tamron lens.

This is not really rare. Its quite easy to find one on ebay, though the Exakta-mounts are much more common than M42. It was also sold under the Spectra and Taika brands, in alu finish. I just bought another set in alu, with the Taika brand. All of them originally came with the TC. but these days these are often missing - like with my old one I got 30+ years ago.

The lens is of course tiny, metal and quite attractive. The TC is just a tube with what looks like two elements in it. I have tested my old lens before, as a 135, and its quite decent. This new one looks exactly the same, so I didn't bother much using it as a 135.

With the TC on, max aperture is f/7.7 - oh what the heck, lets call it f/8. Wide open the combination is just plain terrible. It is unusable, soft, CA, you name it.

Stopped down to f/11 though, it is as sharp as I can perceive with my sensor. Strangely enough, on the K100D focus confirm works quite reliably on this combination at f/11. Because of the DOF, this means that focus confirm is actually giving a reading for usable sharpness. So this combo is quite easy to use and focus with on the DSLR, in spite of the dim image. Will wonders never cease ?

In bright sun this thing is very usable and can give excellent results. So back in 1958 this wasn't just a silly toy.

the bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WOW Shocked Amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp as a razor photos Very Happy Never heard about the this kind of lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Luis

Great sample of lens.

I will not say the beauty of your pics any more!!!! Very Happy

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked indeed, excellent. And a lovely bit of history. Great names they used to give lenses, and industrial design.

I love this stuff, and Luis your photography is always top notch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is amazing! Surprised

Please, don't anyone else, the prices will go stupid on ebay Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't anybody else get the original instructions with theirs?

www.jrussbeauchamp.com/content/00101-00200/137_4.jpg

Apologies for bad scanning. They are printed on terribly thin tissue paper! I should think hardly any have survived.

I also got the original case, hood, hood/filter adaptor ring, screw on lens cap, screw on converter cap and push on converter cap. The case has two compartments, one for the lens, another for the adaptor

www.jrussbeauchamp.com/content/00101-00200/137_1.jpg

EDIT: I cant get an image to work, so please use the above links.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats very cool ! Its great to have the mint set like this.

I have the hood and rear M42 cap also.

I'm not sure if there's an implication that the set came with both the Exakta and M42 adapters. There was also a Miranda M44 adapter, I have one.

This was a very attractive kit at the time no doubt. And apparently a best-seller.

I have the hood and rear M42 cap.

I linked your pictures -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Relayer,

That is a later product, 135/2.8 with matched multiplier from 1963 or later.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm135f2_8.htm

Same idea, different lenses.

The same 135/2.8 was also sold just as a 135/2.8, no "Converto" or "Duo".

Nice package, very good for collection.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good price for the complete set !

Also the best version to get, Tamron brand.

The Soligor one has a lower-quality finish.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Converto-Tamron 135/4.5-225/7.7 - set with matched TC, 1 Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I already had this lens, but this was available as the complete set, with an M42 mini-T mount also -

This is one of the first, or possibly the first, case of a matched teleconverter sold as a consumer lens. And of course, it is the very first Tamron lens.

The lens is of course tiny, metal and quite attractive. The TC is just a tube with what looks like two elements in it. I have tested my old lens before, as a 135, and its quite decent. This new one looks exactly the same, so I didn't bother much using it as a 135.

With the TC on, max aperture is f/7.7 - oh what the heck, lets call it f/8. Wide open the combination is just plain terrible. It is unusable, soft, CA, you name it.

Stopped down to f/11 though, it is as sharp as I can perceive with my sensor. Strangely enough, on the K100D focus confirm works quite reliably on this combination at f/11. Because of the DOF, this means that focus confirm is actually giving a reading for usable sharpness. So this combo is quite easy to use and focus with on the DSLR, in spite of the dim image. Will wonders never cease ?

In bright sun this thing is very usable and can give excellent results. So back in 1958 this wasn't just a silly toy.

I know this is an old post but, guess what, I found one of these at a local photo mart for just Aus$5-00 the lot (except for part E Sad)! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads like this are why I LOVE this place. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice lens very sharp
pic no3 is very gooood really like it

Best regards
Catalin

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know how this lens performs?

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Relayer,

That is a later product, 135/2.8 with matched multiplier from 1963 or later.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.tamron.co.jp/data/old-lens/olm135f2_8.htm

Same idea, different lenses.

The same 135/2.8 was also sold just as a 135/2.8, no "Converto" or "Duo".

Nice package, very good for collection.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

That would be this one -

http://forum.mflenses.com/converto-tamron-2-8-135-matched-tc-full-1962-kit-t23521,highlight,converto+tamron.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to find one for 15 euro's Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is better copy of data sheet. regards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Good find for the price.