Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax MM lenses and serial number!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Contax MM lenses and serial number!!! Reply with quote

Hi!
May be is the answer already on this forum but I did not found it! Anyway, here is my question:
I know than Carl zeiss contax MM lenses can be easily recognized with the green smallest aperture but is it also possible to know it only with the serail number?
Thanks in advance for your help Very Happy ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, not with the absolute precision that would be required for a safe identification.
The switch seems to have happened around number 68xxxxx, but there is no consistency between the different models.
If you have a doubt about a certain serial number, you can ask me privately and I see if the book that I have can help,
or even better, if you foresee continued interest in Oberkochen lenses, support the author Hartmut Thiele by buying his Oberkochen book at lindemanns.de
(also see original link by Klaus in links section)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio, very kind from you!
I will let you know if I need more info Wink ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax MM lenses and serial number!!! Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
Hi!
May be is the answer already on this forum but I did not found it! Anyway, here is my question:
I know than Carl zeiss contax MM lenses can be easily recognized with the green smallest aperture but is it also possible to know it only with the serail number?
Thanks in advance for your help Very Happy ...

You will get conclusive proof if the MM tab is present on the mount of the lens.
The earliest serial number of MM usually seen are between 67 and 69. On ebay I found one Sonnar 100/3.5 with green f/22 aperture and the serial started with 664. Some lenses were never made in the MM version though, like the Makro-Planar 100/2.8 which has serial numbers running up to 72 or 73 or maybe higher.