Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax IIa/IIIa range finder adjustment
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Contax IIa/IIIa range finder adjustment Reply with quote

Question: how hard / expensive is it to adjust the RF vertically on the Contax IIa/IIIa?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Contax IIa/IIIa range finder adjustment Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Question: how hard / expensive is it to adjust the RF vertically on the Contax IIa/IIIa?

It is very difficult and only very experienced technicians can do it.
By experienced I mean experienced in the Contax RF. Generic camera experience does not help.
Vertical alignment in Contax RF is a real S.O.B.
The guy with the most reputation for adjusting vertical RF in Contax lives in Switzerland. I can't remember his name now.
He was mentioned sometimes in rangefinder forum. If someone remembers his name please post it here. It's useful info
for everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My repair man did fix well an entirely dead contax IIa (sttutgart) include RF (was dead too). I send to you his email in pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me get this off my chest: I do blame the two of you. Laughing

I just received a IIIa, it is a beautiful camera and lighter than the Kiev 4... also, while my Kiev works perfectly (in the Russian sense of the word) mounting and unmounting lenses is rather brutal... I discover, it probably is the sample, as my J-9 mounted butter smooth on the Contax.

Unfortunately the rf is off vertically - I'm getting a repair estimate from Essex Camera Services, which is a high class outfit near where I live. If the estimate is too high I probably will end up sending the camera back Sad -- though I'm trying to be realistic here, figuring most any Contax will require some CLA at some point.

Seller's picture - the 'brassing' in the photo isn't there in real life.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was entirely dead , nothing did work, can happen easily. All dependent how was stored , used etc. Pre-war Contax did work like charm. Most Kiev also.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wide open idolatry by Nesster, on Flickr

f2.8 idolatry by Nesster, on Flickr

Trying it out wide open and af f/2.8

The focus collimation of the range finder is spot on, but there's a vertical displacement. Also in the first roll there is some hint that the shutter will need a CLA. But wow what a camera. The serial number is a Y = 1953 and the lens is 1,7mm so that puts it about the same age.

Contax IIIa Sonnar 50/2 1953 by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful exemplar for sure, worth the efforts to restore it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Classic Reply with quote

Very nice, I have the Kiev version without the LM, compact and nice to use too. If the vertical displacement of the RF doesn't affect the accuracy of focusing at all, why not get used to it? I'm of the class that say's `If it aint broke, don't fix it' brigade. These mechanical marvels were designed to be used, used and then used, it's leaving them in an old drawer or cupboard that kills them.
Tip:- The Contax's and Kiev's of this particular type share a weakness. The part of the release that releases the shutter curtain, you can just see it from the open back of the camera, just inside of the top of the frame window in the centre. If you cock and fire the shutter you can see it. It is similar in action to a hook catch on a shed door, only more refined and it wears the same way. If you allow it to wear to much it slips off, just like the shed door in the wind!! You can slow the wear down by keeping the camera clean and CAREFULLY and MODERATELY lubricating the catch with a molebdinum/graphite grease. Sparingly of course or you'll wreck the machine instead of helping it!! I bought my Kiev in '75, I don't know how many films I have put through it, but was told of this frailty back then. Otherwise as far as I know, there are no other issues EXCEPT! There are those among us who want a fast buck in their pocket!! Achievable by fixing up old Kiev's in working order with logo/top plates from non working Contax's and selling them as bona fida Contax cameras! So, "Buyer Beware!" is the order of the day.
Nice piece of kit, funny how the Jupiter fits better than the Sonnar, check out the flanges on the bayonet for damage, they're easily buckled and could be forced out of round from the shank of the barrel, so that it won't enter fully into the camera without force and that'll make it worse!!
Good luck

Last edited by MTHall on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Classic Reply with quote

MTHall wrote:
Very nice, I have the Kiev version without the LM, compact and nice to use too.

My plan is to give myself such a Kiev for my birthday - a 1957 one, with a 1957 J-8, to go with my '57 J-12 and J-9 for a birth-year set Smile

These are beautiful cameras, both the Contax and the Kiev.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be interesting to see how these cameras compare in performance, the Kiev is such a close copy mechanically, that even the weakness is the same. The lens too are very similar, but may differ in quality? Mine is quite sharp, but I've only used it for normal snapshots for the family album, so it has never really been pushed to it's limits.
Perhaps when you have a Kiev too you'll do a shoot out and post the results?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rangefinders in Kiev and Contax are different, I have a doubt that it's possible to simply switch the top plate between the two cameras.
As for comparing them, the Kiev has a better visibility in viewfinder, as a plus, and a clunkier (and most certainly cheaper) mechanics, as a minus.
Aside from that, they both take photos, which is what is requested from a camera. The difference is always made by the lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio, The only faked Contax/Kiev that I've seen had the front plate from a Contax on it and the plate `in' the flash shoe, with a serial number. As you rightly point out, further swapping is impractical for internal differences. Non the less, they were very much alike and many of the parts will swap, IF they are exchanged between the correct models. For instance, some models of Contax don't have the screws visible each end of the window panel/plate and there are at least two versions of the Contax's top panel on the LM version IIIa? The Kiev's, like their Contax counterparts ARE a good camera, lacking only slightly the good finish of the Contax. The only real difference might be the lens. Jupiters were a variable quality, ranging from extremely good, to bottom of a milk bottle performance, while the Sonnar's were all exelent lenses. Most of the Jupiters were quite good, it was the few bad ones that earned the undeserved reputation at the time they were current. A bit like the poor Domiplan I suppose.
VBR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTHall wrote:
I think it would be interesting to see how these cameras compare in performance, the Kiev is such a close copy mechanically, that even the weakness is the same. The lens too are very similar, but may differ in quality? Mine is quite sharp, but I've only used it for normal snapshots for the family album, so it has never really been pushed to it's limits.
Perhaps when you have a Kiev too you'll do a shoot out and post the results?

I have all Pre-war Contax II,III and KIEV II, III Kievs in all variants, early KIEVs are 1:1 Contax I see no difference except name plate, certainly no difference in working if they are maintained well they are exactly same from every aspects.
Lenses are if early ZK lenses (genuine Sonnars , just label difference) certainly same later J-8 lenses up to 1957 , difference is minimal if there any at all. Later version of KIEVS are also good ones, I see bunch of non-working Contax, hard to find non-working KIEV!

I have a Made in Stuttgart Contax , same than Nessters Contax here without lightmeter, new design not part compatible with KIEV or pre-War CONTAX, J-12 for example not fit at all as most obvious difference. I have 10-12 KIEV all did work , this Stuttgart Contax was beautiful and entirely DEAD , nothing did work , now refurbished by my repair man and camera in fully working order again.

So difference is not much at all between them and not always CONTAX is better, based on my experience , not at all!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust Attila on this one... My Kiev 4 works fine, though a bit clunky, while the Contax was smooth as butter, but not reliably working. The biggest difference is the external bayonet mount on my Kiev is extremely tight, making lens changing a challenge. Changing lenses with the Contax is never a struggle.

BTW, I brought this and my Super Ikonta 6x6 to Essex Camera Service just a week before hurricane Jean hit. The shop is in an area that may have been flooded, and most likely lost power. I tried calling them yesterday and there was no answer. I'm preparing to say good bye to the two cameras, if disaster had hit, and hope they have good insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Essex Camera re-opened Monday after hurricane Sandy... their first floor space had been flooded, and they relocated to the 2nd floor. I counted 7 camera techs at work... The job they did with the Contax is remarkable, everything is smooth and the balky light meter is fully operational (and accurate), the rf patch is perfect, and they even had a spare part for the missing flash terminal. I have some Foma 400 in it now.

Compared to the Kiev, the view finder is about the same (cramped) view, but the Contax is brighter, the Kiev is blue-ish.

They did an equally fine job with my Super Ikonta B.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kiev is bluish too Nesster, I think it's to contrast the rangefinder better as it isn't the biggest of VF's. Glad you got fixed up okay, might it not turn out to be your favorite camera now? These Contax's were a serious competitor to Leica's when they were in production. Both makes were intended for serious professional use and were expected to manage many thousands of feet of film to be used in them, hence the robust and high quality engineering used in their design. If your car was to be made to this standard, it would last forever. So don't be shy, show us what it'll do, eh? I use a `Leningrad' on mine, yours'll be a Weston Master III?

Nesster wrote:
Essex Camera re-opened Monday after hurricane Sandy... their first floor space had been flooded, and they relocated to the 2nd floor. I counted 7 camera techs at work... The job they did with the Contax is remarkable, everything is smooth and the balky light meter is fully operational (and accurate), the rf patch is perfect, and they even had a spare part for the missing flash terminal. I have some Foma 400 in it now.

Compared to the Kiev, the view finder is about the same (cramped) view, but the Contax is brighter, the Kiev is blue-ish.

They did an equally fine job with my Super Ikonta B.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking certainly my favorite 35mm. I don't use a Weston, but rather a trio of GE PR II / Gossen Pilot / Gossen SBC Lunalux. Out of which only the Lunalux will be useful as long as the meter on the Contax keeps working.

There's only 24 frames on the roll and I plan to shoot it all today.

(The only tyro glitch I have: I keep wanting to turn something on the lens to focus, and this something turns out to be the aperture ring... Laughing )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little focusing wheel looks neat, but if you're used to convention................? Once you're used to it, it's okay however and a lot less fiddly than you think, when zeroing the rangefinder.

As a contrast to the contempory Leica's, the Contax's rangefinder is viewable in the viewfinder and is a longer baseline? Enjoy.

Nesster wrote:
I'm thinking certainly my favorite 35mm. I don't use a Weston, but rather a trio of GE PR II / Gossen Pilot / Gossen SBC Lunalux. Out of which only the Lunalux will be useful as long as the meter on the Contax keeps working.

There's only 24 frames on the roll and I plan to shoot it all today.

(The only tyro glitch I have: I keep wanting to turn something on the lens to focus, and this something turns out to be the aperture ring... Laughing )

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things seem to be working OK with the camera. Foma 400, HC-110

tree school by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strong contrast makes for a `spooky' woodland view Nesster, atmosphere is very clear, you could almost `walk onto' the picture. It's good enough to make me want to put some b/w through the Kiev!
vbr