Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax G lenses to M mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Contax G lenses to M mount Reply with quote

Does anyone have an idea if this is possible or better yet if you know someone who does it
I know that the 16mm hologon in G mount is converted easily as it is non coupled and manual focus
After seeing the G 2.8/90 converted to Nikon mount I wonder if this can be done for M
The option to have a 2.8/90 sonnar is very attractive as the price of the ZM 2/80 is almost $4K
The 2.8/90 can be had for $150 and coversion ?$
Also the 2/45 planar would be nice to have in M

Thanks for replies

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I know for sure that many Leica M users have converted G lenses to M mount, the most popular for this conversion are the two Biogons the 2.8/28 and 2.8/21
See this thread in photo.net:
http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00DvXe
and also try to go asking to
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a converted 21mm Biogon ex Contax to LTM which via M-bajonet adaptor fits nicely.

But you may want a rangefinder coupled one - right?
Much more effort....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio thanks for the links. Eventually they led me here:
(click on lens modification and then on hologon16 to get to G list)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.hayatacamera.co.jp/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.hayatacamera.co.jp/index.html%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den

This guy does custom modification to LTM. It is actually very interesting. He builds a new barrel for the lens to be RF coupled in most cases but the Sonnar.
He will not do any work from outside of Japan so I would need a liason.
The cost is about $500 so that means you can have the Planar 2/45 or Sonnar 2.8/90 in LTM for about $600-$650. Far less than the ZM series.
And the 2/45 still is sharpness king from what folks are saying at RFF.
It is a long shot for me but still very interesting.
Mostly I think such mods are a bad idea. The G-mount could be an exception as these G bodies will stop working long before the lenses become obsolete.
Check out the cute translation from google the PARANA 2/45
Laughing it's charming.
Scroll down and look at the other lenses he does
You can actually have the Yashica Electro lens converted into an LTM barrel as well as Nikon P&S 28mm and others Shocked
Pretty cool stuff

@ Klaus
Yes, you have the Zeiss Contax RF 21 biogon
That is a very interesting lens as well
for that FL I think that scale focus (uncoupled) is fine
It is the G series 45 and 90 I am most interested in as they are very nice performers and have become very inexpensive
RF coupled is the only way to go in those FL's

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one in Japan. Here>

http://www2.mitte.nir.jp/~m-kam/remodel/index.htm#mm44

The company does not accept foreign oder though.
G-Biogon 21/2.8 mod can have range_finder coupling,
the price of conversion is reduce to 50,000 yen.

@ Andy
You beats me.
@ Klaus
G-Biogon 21mm is the best 21mm for 135 format, I think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:

Mostly I think such mods are a bad idea. The G-mount could be an exception as these G bodies will stop working long before the lenses become obsolete.

This is also a worry for me, as I have 5 G lenses Sad I have to hope that my G2 will last long. The whole lens modification + M-mount digital body game is WAY too expensive for me Sad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to convert G-Biogon 21mm to M-mount if I can get the second copy relatively cheaply.
There are already very nice 28, 35, and 50mm lenses for M/L mount cameras, though G-Planar
35/2 is very tempting too. This lens has a certain character which I like personally and wide
angle planar lens too. Very Happy

Last edited by koji on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
I want to convert G-Biogon 21mm to M-mount if I can get the second copy relatively cheaply.

Koji,
Dotti has a copy of the lens that is like new (it really is, look at the photos!) and complete with viewfinder, for a price that perhaps is not a bargain, but it's decent:

Click here to see on Ebay

They are a reliable shop, I visited there several times, Attila visited too, and their descriptions are accurate. They provide 6 months warranty on this Biogon.

They also have other G lenses for sale at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2/35 is not one that I have used
It is interesting to see the planar formula in a 35mm FL
If I remember correctly the Zeiss Contax RF system had a planar 35 also
That is another I have yet to try
Rolling Eyes So much Zeiss so little time Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The 2/35 is not one that I have used
It is interesting to see the planar formula in a 35mm FL
If I remember correctly the Zeiss Contax RF system had a planar 35 also
That is another I have yet to try
Rolling Eyes So much Zeiss so little time Laughing

I have the Planar 35, it's a nice lens, perhaps not striking sharp as the 45 but sharp enough, and the focal lenght is -to my habit- more useful.

It is not an easy lens to find used, because it was output later, together with the G2, and was quite expensive, so only a few people bought it.
The other lenses were output for the G1 and so there are more of them available today.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Orio.

I found a cheaper one at KEH.