Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Considering the NEX system, looking for a specific lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Considering the NEX system, looking for a specific lens Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I started using old manual focus glass with my D40 and I loved every minute of it. Unfortunately, I had to move to more modern solutions for my "pro" shooting (AF, metering) and I don't really want to carry a big camera with me all the time just for casual shooting.

I bought a Lumix compact just for that purpose, but I quickly realized I couldn't live without the DoF control that big sensors provide, so now it is gathering dust in a drawer. That's why I'm considering to buy a NEX-3 or NEX-5 camera with an APS-C sized sensor and a fast, fixed lens.

I did a lot of research but couldn't find anything that covers all my needs. I'm resorting to all you experts and your vast knowledge to see if you can help me out Smile What I'm looking for is:

- A compact lens. That includes the adapter, of course. I'm not strictly searching for a pancake lens, but I don't want a small lens with a huge adapter if the end result is too long. At first I thought about the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 Series E do to its size, but quickly forgot about it just because of the adapter size. So I guess Canon, Nikon and M42 lenses are out!

- A fast lens with a normal FOV. Something not too long, between 24 and 40mm, and definately not slower than f/2.8.

- A sharp lens with good bokeh. Don't we all want that? Smile In reality, I just want it to be usable wide open. Not great, just usable. Great bokeh and a certain look and character are definately welcome, but I can live with swirly or strange bokeh (a la Helios-40 and Helios-44)

- A lens with a straight iris with 7, 8 or 9 blades. This is a bit tricky, I know, but I plan to shoot some night city shots on a tripod and I love a good sunstar effect. I bought some old Nikkor zooms for my main D90 kit just to get 14-pointed sunstars on my land and cityscapes. So it would be a GREAT bonus if I could produce nice sunstars with it.

- A lens with a reasonable focus distance. I've considered some 50mm lenses as the Jupiter-8 only to find that the closest focus is 1 meter. I'd certainly need to get closer than that, so the standard 0,5 meter close focus distance would be great to have.

- A not too expensive lens. I'm willing to pay up to 200€ for such a lens, but I'd be happy to save all I can in this economy Smile

Do you know if such a lens exists? I don't know if I'm asking for too much, but I don't want to splurge 400€ on a system if I'm not sure I'll get everything I need. According to my needs the Fuji X-100 seems like the perfect choice, but I can't justify 1000€ for such camera right now (and probably never will).

I will probably buy a longer lens for portraits in the future, probably an M39 Jupiter-9, so right now I want to start with the perfect walkaround lens for my needs Smile

Hope you guys can help me! Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe you gave up too fast on your Lumix? There are quite a few fast and very fast lenses fitting a Lumix which result in very shallow DOF. A few are visioble here http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-ultron-40mm-f2-sl-aspherical-m42-t43276.html

Seriously. Despite the price.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Well, maybe you gave up too fast on your Lumix? There are quite a few fast and very fast lenses fitting a Lumix which result in very shallow DOF. A few are visioble here http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/

Sorry I didn't explain myself more clearly. I was talking about a Lumix point and shoot, not a mirrorless one Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a boxed black Voigtländer Ultron 1.7/35mm Aspherical in screw mount just in case... Wink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-ultron-40mm-f2-sl-aspherical-m42-t43276.html

Seriously. Despite the price.

Thanks! It sure looks like a dream lens, a quite expensive dream Smile

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, M42 lenses stop being compact on the NEX once you attach them to the adapter, as seen here:

http://no.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/08/ultron-40mm-f2-.html

It's just not compact anymore Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I have a boxed black Voigtländer Ultron 1.7/35mm Aspherical in screw mount just in case... Wink

M42 or M39? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the answer to all the questions is the konica hexanon 40 f1.8 very small adaptor and a great lens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
And the answer to all the questions is the konica hexanon 40 f1.8 very small adaptor and a great lens

Yeah, it looks very good. It is certainly one of my first choices right now. Too bad about the 6-bladed iris, though Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konica 40/1.8 was my first thought as well!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Looks good, but it's even more expensive than the Voigtlander Ultron Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:

Looks good, but it's even more expensive than the Voigtlander Ultron Smile

I've seen some cheap ones though. But it definitely depends if you want to buy new or used.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
kds315* wrote:

M42 or M39? Smile

M39, very small and lightweight, 10 blade iris if I counted correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Anacondo wrote:
kds315* wrote:

M42 or M39? Smile

M39, very small and lightweight, 10 blade iris if I counted correctly.

Well, that certainly looks interesting Smile I was looking at the Voigtlander 35mm f/2.5 at the moment. Looks like every Voigtlander is way out of my league in terms of price, but anyways, how much do you ask for it? Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had reviewed some results using that lens, so I decided to better keep it Wink Sorry...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
I just had reviewed some results using that lens, so I decided to better keep it Wink Sorry...

No problem! I'm currently eyeing the Voigtlander 40/1.4 and the Hexanon 40/1.8. The 1.4 looks amazing, although I'm reading a lot of user complaints regarding the focus accuracy of the Leica mount adapters. The expensive ones are almost as high as my lens budget (150€!)

I wonder if there are any obscure lenses out there that could suit my needs... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
Unfortunately, from what I've seen, M42 lenses stop being compact on the NEX once you attach them to the adapter, as seen here:

http://no.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2011/08/ultron-40mm-f2-.html

It's just not compact anymore Smile

Any lens built for a true SLR is going to need an adapter more or less that size, within a mm or so. A rangefinder lens would be a better choice if you want compactness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, that's why I prosed a M39 lens - much more compact and the needed adapter is also shorter.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Of course, that's why I prosed a M39 lens - much more compact and the needed adapter is also shorter.

I realise that Klaus! Smile I was commenting that even the Konica Hex adapter is ~13mm deeper than M mount.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I realise that Klaus! Smile I was commenting that even the Konica Hex adapter is ~13mm deeper than M mount.

But much cheaper Smile And as far as SLR lenses go, I think this is the smallest. Rangefinder lenses are MUCH more expensive, from what I've seen. I have to take everything into account...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anacondo wrote:
But much cheaper Smile And as far as SLR lenses go, I think this is the smallest. Rangefinder lenses are MUCH more expensive, from what I've seen. I have to take everything into account...

Not USSR ones. Several of them would fit your criteria, even one or two with very odd-shaped diaphragms! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Anacondo wrote:

Not USSR ones. Several of them would fit your criteria, even one or two with very odd-shaped diaphragms! Smile

Which ones? Besides the Jupiter-8, the Industar-69 and the 50-2, every other russian lens I know (specially M42 ones) becomes gigantic when paired with an adapter on the NEX...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not so knowledgeable about USSR RF lenses as some of our members. Firstly, rule out the M42 lenses, I didn't suggest any of them. This includes the Industar 50 which was designed for Zenit M39 SLRs (The I 50-2 is an M42 lens). The lenses designed for Zorki/Fed etc have the same register distance as Leica M mount.

The 2.8/35 Jupiter 12 is an interesting one to start with. It has 5 blades.
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/jupiter12/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Well, I'm not so knowledgeable about USSR RF lenses as some of our members. Firstly, rule out the M42 lenses, I didn't suggest any of them. This includes the Industar 50 which was designed for Zenit M39 SLRs (The I 50-2 is an M42 lens). The lenses designed for Zorki/Fed etc have the same register distance as Leica M mount.

The 2.8/35 Jupiter 12 is an interesting one to start with. It has 5 blades.
http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/jupiter12/

Yeah, I was thinking about the Industar-22. Same 50/3.5 lens but in M39 mount. Unfortunately it's both slow and doesn't focus very close.

Ah, I knew about the Jupiter-12. Unfortunately, it isn't fit for the NEX cameras because the rear element is so recessed it could damage the sensor Smile

Thanks everyone, by the way, for the help! Any more ideas?