Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Compact Digital Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a GX100 today - comes in the post this weekend I think, maybe Monday...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
Bought a GX100 today - comes in the post this weekend I think, maybe Monday...

Congrats, Dennis!. It's a wonderful camera, you will enjoy it a lot.

Some pointers:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1013
http://www.ricohforum.com/

Please check wich firmware version comes with the camera.
Version 1.18 has just been released, so probably you will need to update the camera upon arrival. (Easy process).

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jes,

I've had it a weekend now (the SDHC card took several days to arrive) and it's amazing:

The in-camera black and white is very good too:

Having a lot of fun with it (the purpose of getting new toys!) - definitely recommended to anyone looking for a high-end digicam, even if the sensor is more noisy than others.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Dennis!!!
I see you're enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine. I never go to the street without hanging it from my neck. It's so light that I barely notice it. Wink

The first shot is impressive... Did you shot it in RAW or JPG?.
B&W as you mention is very good. However I prefer to shot colour and converting it afterwards on the PC.

Have you tried the macro yet?.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.... love the duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you get so close to him and not have it go away?

-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow.... love the duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How could you get so close to him and not have it go away?

Yes and with the kids running in the backround Shocked What a great capture. Cool

Fantastic debut for your new cam!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Puplet for your new gx100
the duck shot is super

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, have you tried the image stabilizer?
I works pretty well.
Just a sample from yesterday's trip to the weekly basketball match of my son.
Inside the trembling bus, holding in the hand, ISO automatic (it choosed ISO 154), f/4.4, 1/30 focusing on the bus logo, JPG from the camera, no post process:

The bus logo (crop from previous)

and a 100% crop:

Not bad, to me....

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After using a 300mm on a 2x crop Olympus camera, getting close-up pictures of ducks is a lot more difficult with the short-zoom GX100! But this relaxed duck was in a secure place, on some rocks, by the water so it was easy to close this time. I'm glad you all enjoyed it, even if it was taken with an AF lens Smile

Jes, I just leave the image stabilization on all the time. I think other cameras may have better IS, but this is my first IS camera so I am happy. I shoot in JPEG - I wanted a RAW camera, but the RAW is too slow for me, even with a Class 6 SDHC card. But I use the black-and-white mode a lot so JPEG is not so bad for me. Here's a my first bus picture (raining):

One thing I was less pleased with was the lens distortion, especially at 24mm. It's not bad - and it is a lot better than many digital compacts - but my photos often have lots of straight lines in them and I like them to be straight! However, I found a fantastic program called LensFixCI (for Mac) and PTLens (for Windows). Both programs read the EXIF data, compare the lens and focal length used to a database, and then correct the lens distortion automatically. It's fantastic and I use it for all my pictures.

One more picture - cats of course - (converted in Photoshop to black and white this time):

I am concentrating on the GX100 at the moment, to learn how to get the best pictures from it, but I promise to pick up my SLR and my lovely lenses next week!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:

One more picture - cats of course - (converted in Photoshop to black and white this time):

I am concentrating on the GX100 at the moment, to learn how to get the best pictures from it, but I promise to pick up my SLR and my lovely lenses next week!

You can pick immediately the SLR again. After seeing your perfect cat picture, I believe you have nothing to master... Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jes! But now....Two weeks without picking up an SLR - what is happening to me? My digicam love affair is taking more time than I thought. Back soon, promise!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you have mastered the GX100 blazingly fast!...
I like a lot the tree one, and the portrait is also superb...
Congrats!.

Jesl

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go with the best (Or preferred) tool for the job. I have used PS since about 1993 (my first one being 800,000 pixels) and I still regularly use my Canon G5 and A80 often in preference to my DSLRs.
I often think PS are very under rated by some 'Enthusiasts'?
Today there is a bit of a limited choice in ‘Photo enthusiasts’ PS models. The Ricoh GX100 and GRD II are great (My mate has both) I could find fault with the GRD having a fixed lens and fault both cameras for the lack of an articulated LCD screen, though the GX100 makes up for that with its rather good optional electronic viewfinder.
I’m sure we all have our favourites but I worry about ever being able to replacing my G5 with a similar spec camera?
I actually beginning to look at the Olympus 4/3 DSLRs as a PS replacement?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jes!

Yes, Olympus E-3 and an Industar 61 is a portable combination - and there's an articulated LCD too! Smile

Otherwise, that Canon A650IS might be what you're after? Very few articulated LCD cameras these days, sadly...

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lumix/Panasonic LC-10 4/3 body has that kind of LCD and Sony's A350 I think.

Pentax had a similar camera (Canon G6 competitor) with flexible LDC screen.
Z series I think.

The cheaper solution would be Canon's A6xx series.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
The new Sigma DP-1 compact cam offers an "28"mm lens and a 14 MPix APS-C size sensor! I think this is a very interesting cam!

The image size and the real resolution is 4.7Mp -- that 14 Mp is the product of counting each pixel site three times to account for the three colors at exactly the same spot. This is mostly just a marketing gimmick, but also connected to the color resolution loss of the competing Bayer matrix sensors. Depending on the subject, the average real IQ is probably equivalent to an about 9 Mp Bayer matrix camera.

Veijo

Obviously you dont understand the difference between Bayer and Foveon sensors...The DP1 actually has the same resolution as the Canon 5D when fitted with a sharp 28mm lens, ie: 12mp, but it crams all that detail into 4.6mp SIZED images.
The 5D has 3 million red photosites, 3 million blue photosites and 6 million green photosites...The DP1 has 4.6 million photosites of each colour, so it has far better resolution than the 5D in blue and red but a bit less in green.
This also gives the DP1 a greater colour gamut than the 5D.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
vilva wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
The new Sigma DP-1 compact cam offers an "28"mm lens and a 14 MPix APS-C size sensor! I think this is a very interesting cam!

The image size and the real resolution is 4.7Mp -- that 14 Mp is the product of counting each pixel site three times to account for the three colors at exactly the same spot. This is mostly just a marketing gimmick, but also connected to the color resolution loss of the competing Bayer matrix sensors. Depending on the subject, the average real IQ is probably equivalent to an about 9 Mp Bayer matrix camera.

Veijo

Obviously you dont understand the difference between Bayer and Foveon sensors...The DP1 actually has the same resolution as the Canon 5D when fitted with a sharp 28mm lens, ie: 12mp, but it crams all that detail into 4.6mp SIZED images.

I certainly do understand the difference between the sensor types. The Foveon doesn't cram the detail, 4.6 Mp is all the luminance detail it can resolve if shooting a lens resolution chart. However, for normal photography this isn't the only or even the most important aspect.

Quote:
The 5D has 3 million red photosites, 3 million blue photosites and 6 million green photosites...The DP1 has 4.6 million photosites of each colour, so it has far better resolution than the 5D in blue and red but a bit less in green.
This also gives the DP1 a greater colour gamut than the 5D.

No one can deny the better color resolution and the often better color reproduction of the Foveon sensor, but they don't quite compensate for the lower luminance resolution. A rather common opinion is that doubling the Foveon pixel count gives a reasonably fair figure of merit, which takes all these aspects into account.

Anyway, for the most common uses of the cameras, the pixel count and the ultimate color reproduction accuracy make pretty little difference - 99.9 percent or more of the photos taken are displayed at sub-Mp resolution and similarly printed (if ever) at 4 by 6.

Veijo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vilva wrote:
DSG wrote:
vilva wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Veijo

I certainly do understand the difference between the sensor types. The Foveon doesn't cram the detail, 4.6 Mp is all the luminance detail it can resolve if shooting a lens resolution chart.

Firstly, lens resolution charts are not measured in mp, they are measured in line pairs (lp) in the horizontal and vertical axis of the test charts.
Given the better colour resolution of the Foveon X3 sensor B&W test charts are not the best type of chart to use to show how well Foveon X3 sensors resolve detail. B&W test charts always favour Bayer sensors.
Colour test charts need to used to show how well a Foveon sensor compares to a Bayer sensor of comparable resolution.
But even using B&W test charts the DP1 gives excellent results.
The 5D's maximum horizontal resolution is between 2300lp-2500lp and its maximum vertical resolution is between 2000lp and 2500lp.
The DP1, which has the same sensor as the SD14, has a maximum horizontal resolution of about 2400lp and a maximum vertical resolution of about 2300lp...Give or take a few lp's, they are virtually the same.
But use a colour test chart and comparable Bayer sensors simply get left for dust.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alf wrote:
The DP1, which has the same sensor as the SD14, has a maximum horizontal resolution of about 2400lp and a maximum vertical resolution of about 2300lp

the sigma dp1 look very attractive, I would also like to have one
resolution is not everything, and for web show even 2mp are enough
based on the Sigma samples, the 4.65mp doesn't seem that impressive
how they will look resized to 12mp, I am not convinced

sigma samples

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Alf wrote:
The DP1, which has the same sensor as the SD14, has a maximum horizontal resolution of about 2400lp and a maximum vertical resolution of about 2300lp

the sigma dp1 look very attractive, I would also like to have one
resolution is not everything, and for web show even 2mp are enough
based on the Sigma samples, the 4.65mp doesn't seem that impressive
how they will look resized to 12mp, I am not convinced

Simply look here to be impressed:

http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/scans/sd14vs14nx-1.htm