Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Christmas 2007 in Piacenza (second part)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Christmas 2007 in Piacenza (second part) Reply with quote

Today I was in a big hurry and didn't have time for a good series. So I only took a few photos to test the new lens, the MC Macro Revuenon 2.8/28, paid 14.something Euros, it focuses down to 20 cms.

I add here and there some non sharpened 100% details to let you evaluate the lens. Consider that the pictures were taken at 800 or 1600 ISO, so there is some detail loss because of that. Consider also that all the focusing was done "by guesstimate", i.e. I shot from waist level without looking in the camera:

non sharpened 100% detail from above:

non sharpened 100% detail from above (note bokeh):

non sharpened 100% detail from above (edge):

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
very nice

So far I am happy with this lens, it's far from being a Distagon of course but the detail rendered is more than enough for many practical purposes.

The colour saturation is very dense (I didn't enhance any), as in the tradition of German lenses, yet faithful enough for skin tones, even under tungsten lightning.

The edge performance is weak wide open (but not weaker than several "name" lenses, as Tamron 2.5/28 just to name one), and quite acceptable stopped down.

The closeup ability makes it versatile.

Costing only 14 Euros, it is an ideal lens for traveling when you don't want to risk your expensive lenses.
I have already bought the 35mm version (MC Macro Revuenon 2.8/35) for the same price of 14 Euros something.

You can't really get cheaper than that for close focusing wides - but image quality is not cheap.
I will report about the 2.8/35 when it arrives, but so far, I can recommend these Macro Revuenon lenses to anyone on a budget who needs a near-focusing wide angle.

-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great for the price. There is certainly an advantage to having a set of "travelling lenses". Expensive kit on the road can be risky sometimes. Better to find good alternatives like this may be. Nice job "shooting from the hip" BTW.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT test shots. I particularly like the showing of bokeh in the unsharpened details. The one that you actually marked "bokeh" is beautifully smooth and gradual in the falloff.

It's a valuable combination that you have a 5D for full frame images, along with these varieties of lenses. Having the 5D means consistency, and the comparisons can be rendered with a good degree of accuracy, and we get to see the "real world" usage of the lens with all its characteristics pretty much intact.

I tend to agree that the Revuenon is a very good performer, ESPECIALLY in the price:quality ratio. Based on these image, I would not hesitate to take the cheaper Revuenon traveling, in lieu of a more expensive lens.

Thanks for the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am finding that I can get very good results with this technique using wide angle lenses. When there is low light and I can not use the "3 m at f/8" rule, what I do is to set an average distance that is appropriate for the subject (in most cases today it was about 2.5 meters), set a good compromise between aperture and speed, and then I "focus" by walking to or from the subject until I evaluate a proper distance. Or if the subject is moving, I stand still and shoot at the appropriate distance.
it works. It's not perfect, but it works.

Here's the lens on the 5D (quick and dirty hand-held shot):

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh another note: the multicoating works on this lens. I could not get a flare in spite of the hundred lights.
No hood.
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a funny looking little devil yes? I suppose that will keep a thieves eyes away also Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
It's a funny looking little devil yes? I suppose that will keep a thieves eyes away also Laughing

Smile I am afraid I do not understand the devil part, but again this is probably a nuance of English phrasal sentences that escapes my understanding Rolling Eyes

Anyway I had a funny meeting today, a guy who was walking the opposite direction of mine, evidently a photographer, noticed the 5D at my neck, stared at it, then made two big eyes when he "focused" on the lens Laughing He probably is familiar with the main autofocus lenses and must have asked himself "what the **** is that lens on the 5d?" Laughing
-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are always good for a surprise! Wink

Very impressive shots, actually. This lens seems to be a really nice one.
As often the Revuenon lenses are much better than their reputation!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks. I am finding that I can get very good results with this technique using wide angle lenses. When there is low light and I can not use the "3 m at f/8" rule, what I do is to set an average distance that is appropriate for the subject (in most cases today it was about 2.5 meters), set a good compromise between aperture and speed, and then I "focus" by walking to or from the subject until I evaluate a proper distance. Or if the subject is moving, I stand still and shoot at the appropriate distance.
it works. It's not perfect, but it works.

It's a fun way of shooting. I've tried it a bit with my 20mm f2.8, walking through underpasses etc.