Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chinon Tomioka 1.4/55 on EOS 5D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Chinon Tomioka 1.4/55 on EOS 5D Reply with quote

My first shots with the recently arrived 'baby' Tomioka (I'm saving up for the 1.2 Embarassed ) on the 5D.

When focus is at infinity, there's the smallest suggestion of mirror-slap, but not enough to warrant a shave just yet methinks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! nice results!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these shots taken wide open ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice ! Thank you for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all handheld at 1.4, ISO 100 and a variety of shutter speeds.

sichko wrote:
Are these shots taken wide open ?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. Is this the "Chinon Tomioka" which actually has "Tomioka" written on the front ring ? There is the "CHINON AUTO" which is sometimes described as TOMIOKA although I'm not sure what the evidence is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Many thanks. Is this the "Chinon Tomioka" which actually has "Tomioka" written on the front ring ? There is the "CHINON AUTO" which is sometimes described as TOMIOKA although I'm not sure what the evidence is.

Hi again John,

I've seen these lenses in the past and I too wondered where the Tomioka connection came from - I know that Chinon was one of several companies for whom Tomioka made lenses, but I always presumed that they were badged accordingly.

Here's the lens itself - I must admit to being quite pleased with it and used it and my Jupiter-9 2/85 for some portraits of my niece today.

Last edited by Mal1905 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result. Tomioka is the best lens I never got Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind Tomioka was OEM suplier in Japan, they are good one but surely not the best. Best ones I think Carl Zeiss, Leica, Konica , Nikkor etc.Tomioka just right after them or in same focal length perhaps same.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal - thanks for the information - the pictures in particular. You will understand why I'm interested. Here's a lens I obtained only yesterday

I set the rings to try and match the alignment on your picture. They appear to be very close. Unfortunately my lens doesn't have the magic name on it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Sorry I'm only coming back to you now, but I've just seen your reply and photos.

Wow! It could - for all intents and purposes - be the same lens, apart from the missing name. I'm waiting for a 'blind bid' f/1.9 variation of this lens to come in the post - described as being Tomioka - but will need typewritten proof Evil or Very Mad

Thank you for sharing your own experience - hopefully these situations will only add to our overall knowledge.

sichko wrote:
Mal - thanks for the information - the pictures in particular. You will understand why I'm interested. Here's a lens I obtained only yesterday

I set the rings to try and match the alignment on your picture. They appear to be very close. Unfortunately my lens doesn't have the magic name on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Chinon Reply with quote

I have a Chinon 135 2.8..m42 .A 6.50 investment that does far better than I thought it would. It say's Auto Chinon on the front but also has a GAF badge on it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Porst 55/1.4 coming in the mail. Another Tomioka? I find many of these so-called Tomioka lens having an amazing look on the web... or maybe Im getting suckered by the skill of the photog?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I also have a Porst 55/1.4 coming in the mail. Another Tomioka? I find many of these so-called Tomioka lens having an amazing look on the web... or maybe Im getting suckered by the skill of the photog?

They have an amazing look also printed Very Happy

I mean maybe these aren't at par with Zeiss, Leika, etc, but they are very characteristic, especially the bokeh wide open, and it's easy to create wild pictorial effects with them. Considering they usually sell pretty cheap it's a sin not owning one Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

M42 version is at least based on optical design from Tomioka, possibly manufactured by Tomioka.

When Zeiss began cooperation with Tomioka, OEM lenses were not allowed to carry Tomioka logo, so there is a lot of Tomika lenses witnout Tomioka logo. But many 55/1.4 lenses, which aren't marked by Tomika logo, were manufactured by different makers and only used original optical design. There's probably no way to distinguish them...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5D compatibility list here http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/ says the Porst 58 1.4 is likely not to work (at least at infinity focus) when mounted on the 5D.

It also seems from this list that the manufacturer can be identified from the type of ring grip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="no-X"]
Bruce wrote:

M42 version is at least based on optical design from Tomioka, possibly manufactured by Tomioka.

Yep... thats mine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I also have a Porst 55/1.4 coming in the mail. Another Tomioka?

Me too - let's hope that we won't have to share the same lens!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
I mean maybe these aren't at par with Zeiss, Leika, etc, but they are very characteristic, especially the bokeh wide open, and it's easy to create wild pictorial effects with them. Considering they usually sell pretty cheap it's a sin not owning one Wink

I still can't afford a Zeiss Planar 1.4/50 and probably won't be able to this year - I was tracking one up until I went away, when I left the bidding was at €65.00; arrived back home today and took a look...€201.00 with an hour to go, and all the additional bids were from the same guy Surprised Rolling Eyes Surprised

Talk about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:

My point exactly.... I think we are!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Mal1905 wrote:

My point exactly.... I think we are!

Pleased to meet you Bruce Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I'm brand new to all of this (read: forums, manual focus lenses, and even my own camera)

and I'm confused. I bought a lovely lens which says:
Auto Chinon 1:1.4/55 Tomioka Japan

And it's great. Faboulous even. BUT:
It hits the mirror on my 5D! It wasn't suppose to do that. It hits when focusing at distances longer than 10m. I have a 5D Mark 2, is that why or should I use a different eos-m42 adapter? does anyone know?
I love the lens and it's a keeper but it freaks me out when it hits the mirror!

Second question: How "bad" is it that it hits the mirror? It's still usable and all I mean, using Live View the mirror goes up and then I can use it at infinity..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon and welcome to the forum Wink

Seems unusual that the Tomioka would hit the mirror on the 5D, but probably not impossible! I have the non-Tomioka branded version of this lens too, and that doesn't hit the 5D mirror either...

I speak of both the 'classic' 5D and the MkII - having used these lenses on both bodies recently.

My work-around for any mirror-hitting lenses was to use the Live View function when I had the MkII loaner - worry-free photography and no mirror damage Smile

jonlinusson wrote:
Hi!
I'm brand new to all of this (read: forums, manual focus lenses, and even my own camera)

and I'm confused. I bought a lovely lens which says:
Auto Chinon 1:1.4/55 Tomioka Japan

And it's great. Faboulous even. BUT:
It hits the mirror on my 5D! It wasn't suppose to do that. It hits when focusing at distances longer than 10m. I have a 5D Mark 2, is that why or should I use a different eos-m42 adapter? does anyone know?
I love the lens and it's a keeper but it freaks me out when it hits the mirror!

Second question: How "bad" is it that it hits the mirror? It's still usable and all I mean, using Live View the mirror goes up and then I can use it at infinity..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for your fast reply!
Just after I posted I found a thread here about m42 lense on the 5D2, guess I'm gonna go over there and read it thoroughly.

But, it COULD be the adapter then maybe? Well, in this case Live View is a lifesaver, it's not very often I use the lens att infinity anyway. But still! It bothers me Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case somebody is interested, I am currently selling the "twin brother" of this Chinon Tomioka lens, being the one labelled Revuenon Tomioka ...
you can find my offer in the marketplace.