Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Chernobyl photo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Chernobyl photo Reply with quote

I don't know who is the author of this photo. I think it's a hugely powerful image, one of those photos that really ennoble the medium:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes it is indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've seen a lot of images of Pripyat that were a lot better than this one. (imho) I remember one of a child's bicycle abandoned among rusting children's playground equipment, that was very powerful and evocative.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't said it is from Chernobyl, I'm not sure I would have guessed it...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but this is absolutely boring common picture with cross. and i dont even think that it is photo, seem to be photoshoped.

there are dozens of FAR BETTER photos from pripyat. and also i remember of one issue of czechoslovak magazie "Fotografie" from 1986 or 1987, where there was hi quality pictures of people from pripyat/chernobyl, especially kids born with genetics deffect. i can tell you from my own experience: those was the only one true pictures from pripyat/chernobyl (also with photos of liquidators, especiall y"biorobots" from roof of the very reactor). nothing can beat work of Igor Kostin and his colleagues. sorry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also seen many far better chernobyl pics.
The flowers and especially the bright under-sized 2D-mini-Jesus simply don't fit - too much kitsch.

Without the photoshoped radiation warning sign and the photoshop-Jesus most wouldn't even recognize that it's pripyat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Pripyat images I think have much more powerful messages to convey:

[img]http://hu.earth-photography.com/photos/Countries/Ukraine/Ukraine_Chernobyl_Nuclear_City.jpg
[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember seeing images/photos of women at a women's convention in the Ukraine a few years ago now.I was shocked by the images, the stories of cancers, the age of these women in their 20s if I remember rightly,young and beautiful with their future stolen because of radiation.You hear about Chernobyl but you don't think of the cost in human terms...until an image is used to remind you of the devastation it is still causing to the next generations.

To my mind that image is weak,I don't see it as Chernobyl and would not recognize it as such, if Orio had not said what it was.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not doing anything for me I'm afraid. I think this is because, the image could have been shot anywhere and the statue looks rather cheap. It also looks just like a snapshot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course there are many photos from Chernobyl, but each bring someting else in vision. There is a juxtaposition of the Christ on the cross with the yellow sign (radioactive environment?) -although may be not from the best angle (wasn't there to judge this issue exactly)-, completed with the late autumn (?) foggy weather, inducind a heavily charged atmosphere. Almost one can "hear" the crows and the weak sound of some church bells coming from acros the fog.