Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Check out the price on this...lens pentax tak 85mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Check out the price on this...lens pentax tak 85mm Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

Shocked Shocked

Is this a valid price???? Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really, really need it today or tomorrow for a certain task - yes, then this might be a good price. In all other cases this is just plain theft Smile

It does not even come with the original case, something I would have expected at that price. Luckily I already have the 85/1.8 and 85/1.9 minty, in their original cases, so I don't lust for them anymore Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily that is what I thought, I just could not get over the boldness of asking that price without even hinting at a bidding war.I am new to this game but not that new!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would surprise me if the lens gets sold at all... But the prices for good glass are on the rise. This forum is one of the many causes Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this forum a lot to judge what to look at buying.You guys give great information.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All for the love of money -- oops! I mean glass! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already saw a minty 85/1.8 sold for more than 430€, so I think this one is not really overpriced, but you can rather easily find a smaller price Wink

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I already saw a minty 85/1.8 sold for more than 430€, so I think this one is not really overpriced, but you can rather easily find a smaller price Wink

Wow, that means that I'm a rich guy!

(I wish I was Rolling Eyes but that makes life less interesting of course). Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the price on this...lens pentax tak 85mm Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

I do not think so. Can not define the exact translation of "valid" to German. 210 tp 280 USD would be a "matching" price in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Check out the price on this...lens pentax tak 85mm Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Mo-Fo wrote:

I do not think so. Can not define the exact translation of "valid" to German. 210 tp 280 USD would be a "matching" price in my opinion.

I find that cheap for a 85/1.8 SMC Tak. The SMC Pentax-M 85/2 frequently sells for above $250 and is not as good, and appeals to a smaller market (does not fit as easily to a Canon/Nikon as a M42 lens does).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't pay that much for this particular 85, but its by no means the most outrageous price I have seen for a Takumar. there was a listing about a year ago for a bog standard 3.5 135mm without a case or hood. just the lens and caps with a starting bid of 600 USD. of course it had the typical RARE! in the description...

and there is of course the 4,999.99 USD K1000 Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid = acceptable price,true price,reasonable price...I don;t speak German but a friend suggested....gultig
I hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is $460 USD. I would think with some luck you could get a Planar 85 1.4 for not much more. There was a BIN one for $580 today.

The Takumars are fantastic, but not $500 fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkbslc wrote:
That is $460 USD. I would think with some luck you could get a Planar 85 1.4 for not much more. There was a BIN one for $580 today.

I tend to agree with you.

At the same time I know that Takumars belong to the best lenses ever produced. Maybe not always optically, but most definitely mechanically. It is said that each and every Takumar only left the factory after being thoroughly tested. The Takumars were a prestige object for Asahi back then. People are realizing that the Takumars are still great and work like new, even after 40 years. This definitely drives the prices up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is awfully high. An Australian auction
Keep in mind that some items in Australia are very difficult to come by.
Two of my most surprising high bid ebay auctions went to Australian bidders.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And shipping from Australia is a pain.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
tkbslc wrote:

I tend to agree with you.

At the same time I know that Takumars belong to the best lenses ever produced. Maybe not always optically, but most definitely mechanically. It is said that each and every Takumar only left the factory after being thoroughly tested. The Takumars were a prestige object for Asahi back then. People are realizing that the Takumars are still great and work like new, even after 40 years. This definitely drives the prices up.

I agree with this. and although not every Takumar lens manufactured was optically very good (Takumar-fish-eye 11/18mm) neither were all the Zeiss and Leica Glass. (despite what fanboys might say) but the thing with Takumars is that as a complete lens system they really are among the best ever made both optically and mechanically. just as good overall as anything Carl or Ernst ever produced. the same can be said about (at least non AI) Nikkor lenses, but unlike the nikkors the Takumars have a mystique like Zeiss and Leica. this puts them in the same arena as their German cousins. I mean think about it. there are people who have never used a Pentax camera but know what a Takumar lens is.

as for the testing of every lens. I don't know for sure, but I have read this somewhere myself, and it would make sense and seems very likely. I wonder.. if that is in fact true, who else can claim that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:
Valid = acceptable price,true price,reasonable price...I don;t speak German but a friend suggested....gultig
I hope that helps.

That was exactly my problem. A passport can be valid = gültig. But not a price. "Acceptable" souds better to me, thanks. 600 $ are not acceptable.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it did not sell...maybe the current economic crisis.... Laughing

We are desperate down here for choice!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mo-Fo wrote:

It's not forbidden to ask the seller for a lower price Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Mo-Fo wrote:

sure isn't. that's how I got a BNIB Macro-Takumar preset 50mm (mint as mint can get) for 250 USD including insured shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Séamuis wrote:
Spotmatic wrote:
Mo-Fo wrote:

sure isn't. that's how I got a BNIB Macro-Takumar preset 50mm (mint as mint can get) for 250 USD including insured shipping.

Congratulations! I had one too (but a well used example with all of the markings yellowed/paled) and I sold it before I ever knew the value of old lenses Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 85mm f/1.8 SMC Takumar was relisted - and this time with a more sensible starting price. See for yourself:

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think it will go for?? any takers..... Razz