Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap lens challenge!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I might be super-unlucky but I monitor Ebay for lenses for almost one year and I have never managed to buy a really bargain one. Even the defective / damaged lenses which I watched ended up sold for over $30.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
Well I might be super-unlucky but I monitor Ebay for lenses for almost one year and I have never managed to buy a really bargain one. Even the defective / damaged lenses which I watched ended up sold for over $30.

You should probably skip that red T* in search terms.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
nandakoryaaa wrote:

You should probably skip that red T* in search terms.

Very Happy, my search terms are just "M42 lens", I check literally everything.

Seriously, I once have won a lens for just $1. But then the seller deleted his account so I got nothing.

I can consider my only bargain purchase of A.Schacht Ulm Travenar 35/3.5 for about $30 while it normally costs about $250, but just because it was in a rather bad condition. Aperture control was not working, coating is heavily damaged and the rear inner element is cracked. Still gives a surprisingly good picture but contrast is weak. I can participate with this lens here Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

nandakoryaaa, you just have to look for a lens that pops up and very few people know what it is. I read all the posts here and eventually
you will come to know who made what. I have gathered a lot of information from here and has helped me a great deal.

Keep reading and looking and you will find them
Very Happy
Regards,

Gavin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa. You need to pay opportunity cost on learning and searching for bargains.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
nandakoryaaa. You need to pay opportunity cost on learning and searching for bargains.

I feel sorry for being more off-topic here, but please can you explain what's this opportunity cost? Something I've never heard of.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I feel sorry for being more off-topic here, but please can you explain what's this opportunity cost? Something I've never heard of.

Sorry for my poor English, I should use 'time and efforts' instead of the term 'opportunity cost'. Gavin have mentioned in the reply above.

Quote:
you just have to look for a lens that pops up and very few people know what it is. I read all the posts here and eventually
you will come to know who made what. I have gathered a lot of information from here and has helped me a great deal.

Keep reading and looking and you will find them

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thanks! I think I understood what opprotunity cost is Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search for M42 you won't find much. People who know what "M42" means, know what they're selling. And people who know what "M42" means, know what they're buying too! Few people selling know what they have, everbody buying knows what they're looking for.

Sometimes you just have to know specifically what you're looking for. Yashinon, Takumar, Tessar, etc. Because the seller will just write what's written on the lens. They might not even write the focal length! It also pays to check a seller's other auctions. I once scored several hard to find lenses because a seller listed a Domiplan... I looked under their other listings and found Schacht and Schneider lenses - all miss-spelled and impossible for people to find by just using the search bar! Twisted Evil

That being said it is very hard to find even the crappiest of lenses these days for under $10. Unless it is in some odd mount for which adapters are not available. I once got a Lithagon for a song because the seller left a Miranda to M42 adapter on the lens - nobody bid because they thought it was a lens for a Miranda instead of an adaptable M42 lens. So I got the lens and the adapter (which is desirable BTW) for almost nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand. I changed my search strategy and I already see some lenses that cost near $5. However I don't want them but the road is clear now, thanks alot Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at almost everything too. I have my own search system which works well for me. I just won a vintage camera for 55p yes - £0.55 and I have had several bargains lately. Some badly listed items are unsold and re-listed despite their low start price. There are several websites out there that look for badly listed items for you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the lens sales here at MF Lenses 'Marketplace' - there's plenty of cheaper lenses, and they will almost certainly be described accurately. And most of us are open to offers for what we sell.

Which country do you live in?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Which country do you live in?

me? I'm from Russia.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Still possible to get a 99p lens! Reply with quote

Now awaiting the arrival of this curiosity :
Click here to see on Ebay

Will keep you posted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just won a seemingly fine 135/3.5 lens for $0.99 but the shipping is $8.5, will that count?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
Well I've just won a seemingly fine 135/3.5 lens for $0.99 but the shipping is $8.5, will that count?

The rule changed, you can exclude the shipping fee Very Happy

I got a CZ Jena Tessar 2,8/50, exaktar mount with $6.8 but it's definitely not a rubbish lens, is it counted? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also bought a Mamiya Sekor 58mm f/1.7 for $3.95, but it is broken. Not usual malfunction like "fungus, aperture doesn't close", but really broken in two pieces and aperture is destroyed. So I don't know yet if I will be able to revive it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-Sekor-58mm-f-1-7-Prime-Lens-AS-IS-For-Parts-/131314813759

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a YUS 135mm 2.8 on ebay for $.99 plus shipping. I'll report back with images when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJB wrote:
I just bought a YUS 135mm 2.8 on ebay for $.99 plus shipping. I'll report back with images when it arrives.

I always wonder what makes people sell lenses for $0.99?
Is it even worth going to post office?
Maybe they make some money from the shipping cost?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
I have also bought a Mamiya Sekor 58mm f/1.7 for $3.95, but it is broken. Not usual malfunction like "fungus, aperture doesn't close", but really broken in two pieces and aperture is destroyed. So I don't know yet if I will be able to revive it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-Sekor-58mm-f-1-7-Prime-Lens-AS-IS-For-Parts-/131314813759

Ugh, it looks like a real challenge!

If it can't be rescued, I have seen the Mamiya Sekor 50/2 going quite cheaply on ebay. I just picked one up as part of a lot and so far the test shots show promise.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mystery 200mm has arrived and it is indeed a bit of an enigma. As you can see the name plate has no id or serial number. The mount is PK and the black painted nature of it is typical (though not necessarily) of a lens produced from a M42 predecessor at the time of PK introduction ie mid 1970's.
The only lens that looks somewhat similar from a bit of browsing is a vivitar 200mm f4.
The lens looks in remarkably good nick - unused! However the aperture has problems: iris is sticky (but can't see any oil on it) and the aperture lever doesn't work. I'll try using it on my G1 first. Looks like it's Ok actually from some snaps with flash of mantlepiece ornaments...
Specs: filter: 58mm; cfd: 2.5m; length: ~108mm at infinity focus; iris: 6 blades.
Working hypothesis: this was a quality reject but somehow made it out into the world..... WDYT?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is COSINA made lens. Its little brother would be more known MC Cosinon-T 3.5/135mm PK bayonet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
My mystery 200mm has arrived and it is indeed a bit of an enigma. As you can see the name plate has no id or serial number.

So it looks like the space for serial number and brand name is left blank for later as the fate of this lens is yet undecided. This is a stem cell of a lens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
That is COSINA made lens. Its little brother would be more known MC Cosinon-T 3.5/135mm PK bayonet.

I'll almost consider that a slam dunk - but the cosinas seem to always have a hood, the focus ring is clearly larger on my lens and the markings are a bit different... I'll say probably cosina for the mo.
UPDATE and the cosina looks the same as the vivitar I mentioned, and that has a 55mm filter size not 58mm.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nandakoryaaa wrote:
JJB wrote:

I always wonder what makes people sell lenses for $0.99?
Is it even worth going to post office?
Maybe they make some money from the shipping cost?

If you list a crappy lens (or indeed anything) in an auction you are risking it going for the start price. Start it any higher and you will not get bids. I did this early on in my ebay career and sold a nice lens for £1.04, now almost everything is BIN unless it had proper value.

I have recently sold two mediocre zoom lenses on ebay. I looked what the average bid sale was and on both it was £2 to £5 although several went for 99pence. I looked at what the average BIN price was and it was £8 - £12. So I pitched mine at BIN for £15 including postage. I could have done it for £11.99 plus £4 postage and made the same but the free postage gets them every time.

One sold within hours, one sold about 4 days later. They were on a 30 day listing.

I'll not make a profit here, thats not the point but I'll be £20 better off and the lenses were part of a bundle which was a helluva bargain anyway.

I bought a camera in full working and mint condition for 55pence. I may use it and sell it on, I'll get £18 easily